Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flexplate, converter, and starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flexplate, converter, and starter issues

I'm trying to figure this whole thing out and I've just about had it for the day. The engine is an 04' LQ4 from an Express van. I got it with the 4L80E flexplate and spacer on it.

Tried to bolt it up to my fresh Yank 3800 SS converter and the holes were off. Did some research, and found I need a dished one from a 5.3 C/K truck.

Got the flywheel, PN 12602448, which replaces the old part number 12563136.

Flywheel on the crank, and then the spacer, the converter bottoms out too soon and is about 1/4" off from the lugs to the flexplate.

Tried the truck one with the spacer on the trans side, the flexplate touches the starter.

Tried the 5.3 flexplate with the spacer on the engine side. Converter slips in no problem, however both starters I have, the MSD APS red starter, and the Car Shop Inc. Delco starter are way off from engaging the flexplate.

The best solution I have found so far is to put the spacer on the engine side, and then the 6.0 flexplate, and dremel the holes to get the converter to line up right. However, Pulled the flexplate off and noticed a couple of hairline cracks in it.

Someone please help before I break something!
Old 07-02-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What trans are you using?
Old 07-03-2011, 04:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, its a 4L60E fresh from FLT. I finally figured it out though. Apparently its considered normal to whom equally on the lugs so the gap isn't so large. Two washers on each bolt took care of my worries.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default truck engine and 4L60

Glad it is working.

I have a similar setup. I used the curved flexplate that came stock on my '03 LQ9. I had to hog out the holes on the flexplate because they didn't line up with the 4l60 convertor. I put the GMPP spacer on after the flexplate (between the flexplate and the convertor.) My starter and flexplate didn't line up of course because the bendix or whatever that thing is called "jumps" out when it sees 12 volts.

If it is cracked - replace it!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:55 AM
Teching In

i also used my stock 6.0 plate and spacer and just oblonged the converter holes a little.i used a powermaster starter and it works great without shimming.

Quick Reply: Flexplate, converter, and starter issues