Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a stock Impala fuel pump handle ~400hp LY6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can a stock Impala fuel pump handle ~400hp LY6?

I am going with the Impala gas tank and I bought one local here in Oh w/o a fuel sending unit. Been trying to find a nice condition one (the local pick & pulls have rusty units) and I found a guy in the southwest that will sell me one, but he claims he put in a new fuel pump a week ago just to verify the engine ran (he's parting out the car). I had planned on getting just the unit and putting a walbro in, but he doesn't want to sell separate since he just put $$ in a pump. It's a good deal price wise if I just reuse his pump, but if I need to upgrade at this HP level, then I need to pass.

Thoughts?
Old 07-03-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 599 Likes on 475 Posts

Find out what pump he used. Remember that LS engines run 58 PSI.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What engine did that car use from the factory and what pressure was it run at would be the questions I would research. If I'm thinking properly those engines ran around 40 PSI and never made over 200 HP. Now you're talking about doubling the HP and an almost 50% gain in fuel pressure... I would GUESS the answer is no without even putting a calculator on it or doing any research.

If this pump did work, you would probably be at the ragged edge of it's volume capability. Keep in mind the factory isn't in the habit of overbuilding things beyond whatever safety margins they feel are necessary.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He said it was a stock GM pump. I knew the LT1 was lower pressure, but thought that was controlled by the fuel pressure regulator--thought it would be higher at the pump. My Impala I used to have was 260 stock and mine ran close to 300hp w/mods w/no problems--but this is definitely upping the game...
Old 07-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do a walbro pump... Stock pumps in b bodies are weak, I would definitely switch it..

Quick Reply: Can a stock Impala fuel pump handle ~400hp LY6?