Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator relocation for clearance issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator relocation for clearance issues

I've been around and around trying to figure a way to relocate the alternator. All of this due to the interference with the power steering box in my 1971 Land Rover/Defender 90 chassis hybrid. After looking into many options, (complete factory Corvette setups, March, S&P, Turbo Technology, etc) I've decided that the cost are too prohibitive. It would be nice to use this stuff but I don't want to finance a kid's college education except my own. I'm now in the process of fabricating a bracket assembly that places the alternator just inches above centerline with the MAF and nearly straight above the tensioner pulley. I'll relocate the tensioner to the stock f-body alternator location. This should provide adequate room for the ps box and apply proper tension to the belt. Alternately, I will also look at keeping the tensioner in it's approximate location below the alternator like that used by Turbo Technology. The bigger issue is keeping the EGR for pre 2001 LS1s using it. That should be doable, as well. Once I've come up with a viable and reliable setup, I'll see about producing these for the conversion market. Lastly, I'll try to keep the cost down so the average joe can play too. Pictures will be coming.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe you've thought of this but did you try the truck brackets. I used the bracket on my 2nd gen. It costs 80 bucks and moves the alternator up a lot.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

You can view my setup at

www.aei.ca/~nmaclennan

Hope it is of some help.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Launching!

I am using the stock f-body alternator, i just moved it to the top of the motor.

Quick Reply: Alternator relocation for clearance issues