Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-body steering box - Truck Power steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:10 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The pumps are all the same, however, the valve is set up for each steering box. The valve regulates how much flow there is and what the max pressure is. I didn`t realize that when I did my swap and I kept the truck variable effort valve on the steering box (I just left the electrical end disconnected). I didn`t know the valves were different until I went to upgrade my el camino to the Monte SS quick ratio box. Then I saw this http://jeffd.50megs.com/Pump_valve_mod_page.htm There was also a thread in this section about the different pressures and flow rates between the f-body, y-body, GTO, truck and FWD LSx pumps. The bottom line is for the most part it will steer no matter what valve / pump / box combo you have, but it may not work as well if the pressures/flow is not matched between them.

Plus sometimes changing the valve makes getting a power steering hose easier. On my brothers 78 buick electra I put the buick electra valve in the back of the 5.3L pump so that it would have the right flow, but also so that his old style double flared high pressure hose would screw onto the pump. No custom hoses, or o-ring to double flare adapter fittings needed
Old 08-09-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I doubt it is the box

GM has used the same basic Saginaw sterring box for all their recirculating ball steering systems for like 40+ years now, maybe longer. All this stuff interchanges. I have an 80s Regal, I put a 70s Trans Am Steering box in it and used the 90s LSX pump that came on the engine. After I got a custom high side hose made, it works fine. (I think in 1980 GM changed to a metric thread instead of the SAE inverted flare).

Thats all I know.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

Bringing my old thread back from the dead for a little update. I got a chance to look around at a g-body power steering system that was intact and think I found my problem with the lines connected to the wrong ports and my wheels turning opposite the steering wheel.

I bought the wrong lines. There is a switch that is supposed to be in-line on the pressure side just before the line attaches to the steering box. I believe this to have something to do with the A/C system and I am pretty sure I bought lines for a car WITH A/C since my car did have it on the old SBC. Thus, I think that if I were to buy a pressure line for a non-A/C car the hose would run right from the pump to the steering box and have the proper, larger, fitting attached.

Can anyone support or shoot down my theory?? I won't buy another pressure hose until I know what that switch did and if a non-A/C line is what I actually need. Plus I really don't mind the manual steering that much and it cleans up the engine bay a little not having the pump, lines and larger box installed.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:06 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The pressure switch in-line of the hi-side line isn't going to change a thing. It only provides AC cut-out under higher pressure to prevent stall at low idle speeds. Switch your lines at the box.

If the car is now LS powered and you want to delete the switch, use the non-AC hose or an F-body hose from similar year. Either works, choose depending on how you like it routed.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jmd
The pressure switch in-line of the hi-side line isn't going to change a thing. It only provides AC cut-out under higher pressure to prevent stall at low idle speeds. Switch your lines at the box.

If the car is now LS powered and you want to delete the switch, use the non-AC hose or an F-body hose from similar year. Either works, choose depending on how you like it routed.
Yea I think the problem is that I bought a hose for a A/C equipped car and the old switch is long gone along with everything else from the original engine. I just wanted to see if anyone else had experience with the 2 different hoses as well as to possibly close the thread in case anyone runs into this issue later and uses this thread as a reference.

Quick Reply: G-body steering box - Truck Power steering