Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GlowShift Elite 10 in my Ls1 Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GlowShift Elite 10 in my Ls1 Buggy

I am attempting to put a GlowShift Elite 10 tachometer in my LS1 dune buggy. I have the engine up and running, and tried the tach hooked up to the ECM tach signal wire, no worky.

So then I tried the singal booster fix and T-d in a positive through an 8K ohm resistor, no worky.

What do I need to do to get this thing working? Yes, I know there are mixed reviews on the GlowShift gauges, but I have them - they look nice and I like them. Except for the tach, which does not work. I would rather get these working than have to buy any new ones.

Do I need to purchase a tach signal converter? and if so, which one works? Or do I just need to put in a different resistance value on my signal booster?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Teching In

You may have already tried this but some tach's need a pull up resistor. You can configure the LS1 ECM through tuning to work as pull up or not. If your tach requires a pull up resistor and you do not have the tools to change the ECM programming you can use a 680 ohm resistor to work as a pull up resistor.

See:
http://www.lt1swap.com/lsx_tach.htm
Old 08-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Teching In

So, just an FYI for a solution to this problem. I have tried all kinds of pull-up resistors, and even installed a potentiometer to adjust the resistance value, no joy. So, I emailed GlowShift and was told I needed a tach signal converter. So I bought one for around $100 (ouch) and installed it. It made no difference at all, needle still didn't move. Didn't even twitch. Then I got the bright idea to just rub the tach's signal wire against a 12v source to see if I could get the needle to jump at all, still nothing.

I called GlowShift on the phone, and was told that their gauge was designed to read the tach signal from my ECM with absolutely zero modifications whatsoever.

So then I did what I should have done in the very beginning and painstakingly traced all the wiring related to the Tachometer from beginning to end. I found that the tach's signal input wire had not "clicked" all the way into the connector on the back of the tach.

Once I snapped the wire all the way in, the tach worked just fine. I removed and was able to return the signal converter for a full refund and all is good.

I have no idea why GlowShift told me to get a converter the first time I contacted them, but oh well.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DuoDS
...I have no idea why GlowShift told me to get a converter the first time I contacted them, but oh well.
Perhaps if you explain all this to them, they'll take it back for credit...
Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Returned the converter for a full refund - so no worries

Quick Reply: GlowShift Elite 10 in my Ls1 Buggy