Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission help before I shoot it please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission help before I shoot it please!

I've had my 4l65 off and on 3 times now. Its a 4l65 out of an 05 Denali. Tag is 5kzd. It was AWD converted to 2wd. I can turn my engine over by hand no problem with no trans attached. With the trans attached no go. The trans is in what I believe to be nuetral not that I believe that to be an issue. I've got a dished flexplate with the centre dished towards the engine. I've got a 3 bolt torque converter and I pushed it in until I heard three clunks. What is going wrong here? Somebody please help here. I could have had the engine in by now if not for this problem.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Remove the converter bolts and try to push the verter back on the support.
YOU DID HAVE TO PULL THE VERTER FORWARD, to bolt it up, RIGHT???

I use an allen wrench as a feeler gauge to check the free play at the bolt, by pushing the verter back, then screwing the bolt in til it just touches the flex plate. I then pull it back up into contact w/ the plate and use the allen to check the gap under the bolt head and the flex plate.
If the converter won't slide back, it's sitting on the pump drive tangs, and has the pump locked up. Thus no turn on the engine...
Also, if the plate is the wrong 1, there may be no free play to begin with..Same problem, the pump is locked up...

Not sure, but if the plate can be put on backwards, is it??? [Look at the crank flange holes to see if it's been used B4..]

There is more than 1 bolt on bellsg for the 4L60's...I ran into that when I was doing an LS install in a 55 Chevy..About 9/16" difference in the dummy trans and the 1 I installed w/ the completed project...
Old 08-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

When the trans is bolted up I can't spin the converter. However, there's still a lot of space between it and the flywheel. The flywheel is center dish towards the engine. I went by how I could see the bolts were used before. If it was the otherway the outer flywheel would be against the engine. I'm going out to see if it will move forward.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

It doesn't move back and forth.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

If the verter is back, w/ space between it and the plate, and you can't turn it, take a look at the converter nose. It may be jammed in the end of the crank...
With the verter back, there's no reason you should not be able to spin it....

Just saw your post.. Look at the nose, and see what's up..

What did the verter come out of??
Old 08-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

The nose is about an inch long. I assume it came out of a Denali. It looks like most I've seen online. So either the converter isn't seated properly after three attempts or? Does it matter that the engine was originally a stick and was out of a vette? Would the crankshaft come out further on that engine for some reason?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check the end of the crank for a pilot bushing.....

Trending Topics

Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

If there's a bind up w/ the verter nose hitting the pilot bushing, and you pulled the trans up w/ the bellsg bolts, I'd suggest you check the ft pump for damage....
Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Geezer, I restarted this thread in transmissions where I should have in the first place. I think you probably hit the nail on the head. I posted some pics and would appreciate your input.
thanks
Scott

Quick Reply: transmission help before I shoot it please!