Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LS1 Sand Rail First run - Now questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 05:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DuoDS
Thanks for the trouble-shooting step, I will try it and see what happens.

As for your other question, I am not running a traditional dune buggy transaxle mid or rear engine setup. I have my engine front mounted into a race-built TH-400 automatic transmission then a custom drive-line into a Jaguar XJ12 IRS rear end with inboard brakes. Just like the powertrain of a car.

With 12 inches of travel in the front and 10 in the back, this is the smoothest buggy I have ever ridden in (35 years duning).

I should find some pics to post, but you can see the style by looking at SandRocket.com.

Once I get the bugs worked out, it should be awesome. And I am into the entire project around $8K total for the finished buggy including tires, seats, and off-road lights. So I pretty much spent less on the entire sandrail than it costs for one Mendeola transaxle built to handle LS1 power levels.

Pretty good deal I think, plus with the automatic tranny, it is point and shoot!
That's pretty slick. What's the overall width and wheelbase of your ride? Down here in FL, there aren't as many wide open spaces, but plenty of places to ride, so width and wheelbase is the concern. Did you start with one of the sand rocket chassis, or homebuilt? I am familiar with the Jag IRS, my dad and I used it in a kit cobra, some years ago. It would be super slick with a complete corvette transaxle/ driveline setup in there, although they don't have inboard brakes. It might give some more foot room.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My fuel pump made a lot of noise when I first put it in, then started blowing fuses. Pulled it apart to find it full of tank debris. I had a prepump filter at the time too.

You might have multiple issues but an excessively noisey pump could be grit in the works.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DuoDS
I am not running a traditional dune buggy transaxle mid or rear engine setup. I have my engine front mounted into a race-built TH-400 automatic transmission then a custom drive-line into a Jaguar XJ12 IRS rear end with inboard brakes. Just like the powertrain of a car.

With 12 inches of travel in the front and 10 in the back, this is the smoothest buggy I have ever ridden in (35 years duning).

I should find some pics to post, but you can see the style by looking at SandRocket.com.
Here is a pic of my buggy. It is not painted yet, but I will keep the open frame look and possibly have the headers ceramic coated.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96 Comp T/A
That's pretty slick. What's the overall width and wheelbase of your ride? Down here in FL, there aren't as many wide open spaces, but plenty of places to ride, so width and wheelbase is the concern. Did you start with one of the sand rocket chassis, or homebuilt? I am familiar with the Jag IRS, my dad and I used it in a kit cobra, some years ago. It would be super slick with a complete corvette transaxle/ driveline setup in there, although they don't have inboard brakes. It might give some more foot room.
Approximately 115 inch wheel base. the front tires are 77 inches wide on the outside. With the sand tires on the back, the rear is wider than that. Plenty of stability.

Built the frame myself. I Started with a rear-engine style pre-fabicated frame and heavily modified it to my own specifications. By the time I was done, only about 4 of the original pipes were un-altered.

I actually purchased my Jag rear from a guy who wanted to build a cobra kit-car but gave up and bought a Corvette instead. He gave me quite a deal on it.

I thought about a Corvette transaxle, but they are really pricey. I did end up a little short on leg-room, but that is mostly becuase of the dimensions of the frame, before I started alterations. I really didn't know how far to alter it. It is hard to know the final dimentions when the overall concept develops a piece at a time.

Last edited by DuoDS; 09-08-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
My fuel pump made a lot of noise when I first put it in, then started blowing fuses. Pulled it apart to find it full of tank debris. I had a prepump filter at the time too.

You might have multiple issues but an excessively noisey pump could be grit in the works.
I didn't really want to fight it. The pump was under warranty, so I sent it back. When I pulled it out, I didn't see anything abnormal. It will be interesting to see what the manufacturer says.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Received and installed my replacement fuel pump today. So far the reviews are good. This pump is MUCH more quiet than the "broken" one and the engine has MUCH quicker throttle response. compared to this new one, the old one was very noisy and kind of sounded like it was grinding. Same model pump. I have not put my fuel pressure gauge on the system yet, but I will probably do that tomorrow for some real data.

Trouble is I can only run an actual "road-test" at the dunes, don't know when I'll have time to go though.

Hopefully, this will get rid of the flashing SES light while climbing a hill.

Low fuel pressure = lean condition = flashing SES only while climbing a hill??

Quick Reply: New LS1 Sand Rail First run - Now questions