Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound Deadener Makes Hot Rods Better

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also used eDead in my chevelle and it worked good. I've never used dynamat, but people swear by it. Hopefully, they aren't swearing by it just to justify the high cost.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the Lowes stuff that is asphalt?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_13358-56291-...ductId=3011906
Old 08-31-2011, 04:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser

Thats not what I used. The one I used has the asphalt backing, no staple gun required. This stuff sticks great. The only issues I had with it was at the firewall. I used it to cover the factory hole for the evap as a temporary fix and it did start to melt over time. Of course it was almost against the old headers. Everywhere else it has held up for three years now without a hang up. I do not get the smell I have heard others get using this product. In addition to the aluminum/asphalt layer I have the factory sound deadener and my carpet also has this thick insulation under it.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by futureuser

This is it. I used 3 rolls in my Maverick, about 6 lbs per roll. All on the firewall and front floor sections. No smell at all and very effective. The only possible downside would be if it ever needed to be removed it would be quite time consuming...
Old 08-31-2011, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks! This might be ideal for my Camaro, since it will need full restoration in a few years and I have patched up floor pans. I feel weird putting $400 worth of insulation in a car that isn't all that nice.

Edit:
I just read the reviews on the Lowes peel n seal stuff and it's freakin' hilarious. It's all car guys using it!

Last edited by futureuser; 08-31-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
This is it. I used 3 rolls in my Maverick, about 6 lbs per roll. All on the firewall and front floor sections. No smell at all and very effective. The only possible downside would be if it ever needed to be removed it would be quite time consuming...
I've used the Home Depot equivalent in a number of applications and I'm quite fond of it. I used it to damp the door skins in my wife's Camry when I installed speakers in the doors. I've also used it to damp kick panel speaker pods in my own car and a number of others. In no cases have I ever had any kind of smell whatsoever. Some have complained that the material won't stick, but if you clean the surface well, and use a heat gun & roller to get it good and hot when you install it, it'll stay put. It's highly effective and cheap. I intend to use some on the floors of my Camaro when I replace the carpet, and next time the door panels are off, the doors will get it too. I've never had it fail in the hottest New England weather, but for those in hotter climates, you could always buy the expensive stuff for your roof and trunk lids (if you go to that extreme) and vertical surfaces if so desired, and save money by using this stuff on your floors.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadener Makes Hot Rods Better