Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 n fox body ????? i need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lxwithlaundry
I made my own engine mounts using the stock 5.3 mounts and made a tranny crossmember.. all for fitting the engine and tranny with stock k-member.. was really easy and I'm very happy with how it turned out.. and my stock truck oil pan hangs about 2" below the stock k-member.. if you want to stay on a tight budget like me it can be done...
Would love more info on this, dont really want to spend the extra money on a conversion kit or K member when I am pretty creative.

THanks
Old 10-27-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure why you couldnt weld a solid motor mount or drill holes in the ford K?
Old 10-28-2011, 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get the AJE, they're cheap, I don't know why anyone ***** around with anything else.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RATBOX
Just get the AJE, they're cheap, I don't know why anyone ***** around with anything else.
Exactly. they are cheap. I drive my junk 10k+ miles a year. On all kinds of roads and conditions. Tubular stuff is fine if you drive it to the track, occasional weekends or what not. But what about pot holes, and bumps and bad roads, and stuff like that? You are not going to beat a stock K when it comes to that stuff. (now here is where you tell me that you have an AJE K, drive it 90k a year and have airbags and hop the thing at lowrider shows and it's not bent).

I never want to worry about things like that. I am using a stock K with a modified truck pan and it will be just fine, plus I am saving money to put elsewhere.

Charlie
Old 11-03-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I already have a K in mine why not mod some mounts if i can? Chrome you made any progress and got pics?
Old 11-03-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLWN1
I already have a K in mine why not mod some mounts if i can? Chrome you made any progress and got pics?
The only problem you're likely to run into is header fitment IF you're planning to buy a set of dynatechs or kooks. I believe they're designed around the AJE k member.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Here are a few loose pics. Will get some closer ones tomorrow.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Teching In

These headers are for a truck. Not f body. But you will have to do some creative thinking on the drivers side, but passenger side lines out fine. But that is with the aje k member.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrome_Rust
Exactly. they are cheap. I drive my junk 10k+ miles a year. On all kinds of roads and conditions. Tubular stuff is fine if you drive it to the track, occasional weekends or what not. But what about pot holes, and bumps and bad roads, and stuff like that? You are not going to beat a stock K when it comes to that stuff. (now here is where you tell me that you have an AJE K, drive it 90k a year and have airbags and hop the thing at lowrider shows and it's not bent).

I never want to worry about things like that. I am using a stock K with a modified truck pan and it will be just fine, plus I am saving money to put elsewhere.

Charlie
wheel stands are alot worse on a k mem then any damn pot hole but keep thinking how your thinking
Old 11-22-2011, 06:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

street trash, can you get some better pics of the drivers side? were you able to use the stock steering shaft? Are these long tubes or shorties?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BLWN1
Not yet, car is in storage. I am still gathering parts. I ended up buying the GM muscle car pan kit from Jegs (2 hour drive to the store in Columbus, OH).
I also bought the header flange kit and a used set of MAC Longtube Headers (1 3/4" Primary 3" Collector).
I figured If I can locate the engine where I want it, get the headers mocked up I should be fine, since the headers are for this chassis/K combo anyway.

@suicidal racing
If you are pulling the wheels that far, you are making enough power to lessen the impact when the wheels come back down. Unless you are saying you throttle the **** out of it, go wheels up, get all pissy/scared and then let out of it and smash into the ground, then yea I could see how that would be harder then hitting a pothole on the street. Last car I had that would pull wheels, I kept my foot in it... memory serves me that the landing wasn't that bad.....

Charlie
Old 11-22-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope..i seen people shift an have them come down..seen many not make enough wheel speed an take all the tires off the ground an ive seen cars ride them out an still bend ****..smooky hall is a good example of that at the 2005 u.s street nationals when he was the first n2o radial car to run 7s..watch him have to beat **** on his front end with a sledge 3 diff times after 3 big wheelies..hurt the front end so bad he couldnt run on sunday..

Sometimes they come down soft an sometimes they dont..point is no matter if they come down soft it is still more force the a quick run over a pot hole.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Agreed
Old 11-23-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chrome_Rust

Charlie
Whatever floats your boat I guess. Like you said, I've never bent a tubular K member due to the numerous road hazards I've encountered with them. You ought to consider putting a cage in it and some 1/2 plate steel in place of the floors though, the Foxbody's unibody is pretty soft, the car might fold in half if you jack it up too quickly.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RATBOX
Whatever floats your boat I guess. Like you said, I've never bent a tubular K member due to the numerous road hazards I've encountered with them. You ought to consider putting a cage in it and some 1/2 plate steel in place of the floors though, the Foxbody's unibody is pretty soft, the car might fold in half if you jack it up too quickly.
Lol, I know what you mean. Enough chest thumping, I am sorry if I come on as a Know-it-all. In my circle of friends, I am the one that get all of the "What do I need to do to do this" calls. Guess I manifested that here.

Back to the topic
Old 11-24-2011, 07:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by darren roar
i would like to do a similar swap and retain the stock 5sp tranny, the tranny isnt a t5 its out of a turbo coupe what adapters would i need
are you talking about the anemic 4 cyl Ford t5, heck even the V8 t5 will probably not hold behind a LSX conversion. I would go with the GM version, its much stronger
Old 11-24-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
are you talking about the anemic 4 cyl Ford t5, heck even the V8 t5 will probably not hold behind a LSX conversion. I would go with the GM version, its much stronger
The t5 from the turbo coupe is only designed to handle 240 ft lbs. the strongest t5 from Ford was only rated at 330 ft lbs. Also, the turbo coupe T5 has a 3.97 first gear, plus the drop in ratios from 3rd to 4th drops the rpm alot. I was building a turbo 2.3 Ford setup for my Mustang a couple of years ago. the I raced a Hertz Corvette in the Texas mile. Well, 165mph in the standing mile I knew the 2.3 turbo would not be up to do it. Now I am here. 11 to 1 6.0 LSx and a m6, looking for 170mph.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya, that anemic trans. i was worried bout it holding the 302 thats in it now. it does the job but its a little noisy.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hi Gents,
I'm working on a 5.3 4L60E in a '94 Mustang convertable with my brother. The original motor was a 3.8. The motor mounts/ cross member will be really easy with the stock cross member. The problem I am having is the oil pan clearance to the power steering rack. I can't fit the F-body pan or the muscle car pan. Would the 3.8 cross member possibly locate the steering rack higher than a 5.0L cross member? Do the tubular cross members lower the steering? The exhaust manifolds from a MY10 Camaro look like they will fit nicely.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Offset rack bushings.

Quick Reply: 5.3 n fox body ????? i need help