Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX or NEW 5.0L SWAP?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lqk should have the cheapest pricing on pull outs.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GT-CORDY
How do you like your ls1 swapped fox?
Im a fan, I havent driven it very much and still have some kinks to work out but it rolls out. I considered doing a terminator motor but that or a coyote swap would have easily doubled the cost just for the initial engine/trans purchase.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had an 03 GT that I wanted to make faster, if I didn't have the money for a Coyote swap, I think I'd just supercharge the stock motor. They respond well enough to boost, and the ease of installation and cost would both be better than an LS swap.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
If I had an 03 GT that I wanted to make faster, if I didn't have the money for a Coyote swap, I think I'd just supercharge the stock motor. They respotnd well enough to boost, and the ease of installation and cost would both be better than an LS swap.
The 2v's dont respond as well as you might think. The 4v motors love boost. If I would supercharge my 2v I might be in the 400hp range on medium boost not good enough for me. Of course If I dumped alot of money into a 2v it would run but its not common to see 600hp 2v's running around. The 2v build is not a option. The cost would be alot cheaper to build my motor but in the end I wouldnt have much to grow with the motor and I wouldnt be happy with it, on the other hand the ls3 build would be more expensive but would make great all motor hp and can be built in the 400 plus cube range down the road and make some serious hp then add boost and watch out Houston Iam ready for takeoff lol.

Last edited by GT-CORDY; 09-26-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

If you go with the 5.0L, I would wait a little. Some people are having tuning and driveability issues when retrofitted to older vehicles. It looks like SCT may have resolved those but I am uncertain at this point.

Or you could retrofit LSX like I did and retain all the Ford electronics/injection/computer.

Search under my screen name.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

The coyote is expensive, but its a damn good deal for what you get. I think (not sure) you have to swap k frames with either motor. You need to consider the transmission, efi, tuning, theres no way I'd start without $15000 to spend. Especially if your not doing the work. That being said, you can't go wrong either way if you got the $$$$
Old 09-27-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been in the same situation, I had a 03 2V Roush, put a novi 2000 on it. Hit little over 400whp. Wasnt enough. Went out and bought a 04 Z06. Fell in love with LS engines. Picked up a 87 Mustang Notch, with LS6. Would never consider coyote motor if money is a consern.

Quick tips for you.

Do it right the first time.
Get yourself a nice wire harness for the engine. I went with PSI harness.
If you wanna boost it for cheap pick yourself up a 6.0 longblock, and turbo it. Look up the turbo section how fast some of these guys are going with factory short/long blocks. Im in the process of building a new motor for my mustang and ill probably have about 5k into it. Including the turbo. And im aiming for 1000 HP.

Quick Reply: LSX or NEW 5.0L SWAP?