Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good james..... wish i could find a donor car like yours
Old 02-01-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lamdenali
James that Radiator hold down plate look familiar LOL

Lenny
i dunno how you could tell, its been painted lol - i may still want those telstars if you still got them ill be in touch sometime soon and i have that balancer for you also
Old 02-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Yup, still have them
Old 02-01-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice build, Ive been wanting to do a malibu swap for a while now. Ive started collecting stuff but gotta find a good body. Maybe some of you fella gbody guys can help me on some things. When doing the fuel system what all is need to get everything to work for efi? Like what tank do I need to look for and what lines and pump do I need to get for everything to work?

Also I am going to get someone to do a standalone harness for me. Beside the pcm what else do I need to get everything wired up? I already have a 5.3, plus have a ls1 intake and tb. Sorry op not trying to hijack your thread but this got me excited and ready to start a build. Plus this is my first ever fuel injected swap.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are still looking, Pypes makes a 2.5" exhaust with the GN exits. You can get it with or without an x-pipe. The kits fit nicely, I've got one on my car and we put one on my father's 87' 442.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
If you are still looking, Pypes makes a 2.5" exhaust with the GN exits. You can get it with or without an x-pipe. The kits fit nicely, I've got one on my car and we put one on my father's 87' 442.
i was going to go with the pypes kit but i already have an X-pipe and mufflers so im probably gonna get tailpipes from these guys> http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.c...d-Steel/Detail
Old 02-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Launching!

James I have 2 set of stainless tailpipe here, come by and take a look.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

what radiator plate are you using, and where did you get it from

looking for a clean install on my regal
Old 02-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

Dude.. I love your vision and completely approve the use of dog dish/baby moon hubcaps with color matched rims on a Malibu!! Proceed!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemkerailroad
what radiator plate are you using, and where did you get it from

looking for a clean install on my regal
radiator hold down plate is from a turbo buick but the cutlass and regal with factory v8 also had them(good luck finding them in a junkyard because everyone i went to they were all picked clean)

Originally Posted by OldBBody
Dude.. I love your vision and completely approve the use of dog dish/baby moon hubcaps with color matched rims on a Malibu!! Proceed!
i was originally going to use the stock malibu hubcaps but ive changed my mind so many times already i just want to get it running first
Old 02-04-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

got a chance to do a few things on the car today after work - painted the trans crossmember black and bolted it up, drilled and tapped the plate on the oil pan for the oil pressure gauge and installed that. bolted in the drivers side header then started working on some of the wiring. the air intake is temporary, i need to order a few more pieces to extended it down under the drivers side inner fender so its not drawing hot air from the engine compartment.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

more updates:
-most of the wiring is complete, i just need to run the wires inside the car for the tach, speedometer, ALDL, and gauges. also need to run the wire to the fuel pump. i ended up going with a PSI harness but integrated the factory malibu harness with it so it looks factory(well i think anyway lol). i plan to put the battery in the trunk but i have an appointment to get the exhaust done first week in march so ill tackle that later on

-the car sits way too high up front, and pretty much its all there except the fluids so im gonna have to find some drop spindals or cut the springs

-also i need to make a bracket to move the #8 coil up a little, i didnt wanna cut the factory box.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 PM

If your really thinking of doing some swaps on the side, I would be very interested in talking with you. I have a 79 that I want to do a swap and your using most of the things on my list. I would like to do it myself, but I have no place or equipment to do the job..
Old 02-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

]LT4 Malibu, have you done a DBW setup yet? I looked at your other post you did on the green Bu, do you think it is cheaper to go carburated or FI? I'm pretty much setup for FI, on my build. Just curious for nostalic reasons.
This is my ride. 66 Buick LeSabre

project 1980 malibu: as if i dont have enough to do... *updated*-66-buick-5.jpg

[ATTACH]340950[/ATTACH
Attached Thumbnails project 1980 malibu: as if i dont have enough to do... *updated*-66-buick-1.jpg  
Old 02-19-2012, 01:42 AM
Launching!

NICE!! Good progress! You using the factory tach? So did you have a harness done and integrated or modify the stock one? BTW i have a few of those radiator top plates for sale if anybody needs one..
Old 02-19-2012, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Very Nice! I love everything about it!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BkBu79
If your really thinking of doing some swaps on the side, I would be very interested in talking with you. I have a 79 that I want to do a swap and your using most of the things on my list. I would like to do it myself, but I have no place or equipment to do the job..
ive been working out of a small garage under my garden apartment with no air tools and no heat so if i can do it you can to but shoot me a PM with what you're looking to do and we can discuss it.

Originally Posted by Killer66
LT4 Malibu, have you done a DBW setup yet? I looked at your other post you did on the green Bu, do you think it is cheaper to go carburated or FI? I'm pretty much setup for FI, on my build. Just curious for nostalgic reasons.
i haven't swapped a DBW setup but its really not that much different. the 78 i did my buddy wanted a carb because that's what he knew, it really depends on what you are starting with - if you have all the EFI parts you can probably sell them and make back most of the $$$ to buy the intake and MSD 6LS box.

Originally Posted by 85GPLEf41
NICE!! Good progress! You using the factory tach? So did you have a harness done and integrated or modify the stock one? BTW i have a few of those radiator top plates for sale if anybody needs one..
doesn't have a factory tach, i have a small autometer shift light with integrated LED tach mounted on the column. all the other gauges are in the glovebox.

i bought a stand-alone harness from PSI conversions, then cut it apart so i could integrate the Malibu harness. i will be mounting the computer where the battery was(battery will be in the trunk)
Old 02-19-2012, 08:50 AM

PM sent!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

well after many long nights after work last week i was able to fire this thing up tonight. i still have a ton of stuff to do and alot of stuff is only temporarily hooked up so i can take it to have the exhaust put on but its always a relief to hear it fire for the first time

Quick Reply: project 1980 malibu: as if i dont have enough to do... *updated*