Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 Sidewinder jetboat 5.3L turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
That is one slick boat! Great workmanship and forethought! Any guesses at top speed? I am sure you are limited to the rpm's and pitch but it will get there in a hurry. Anyone that likes to go fast on the water has bigger nuts than me. I have been 86mph two times on my dads boat with me driving and I will not do it again. It felt like I was running double that on land. Great thread and plenty of pics, keep 'em coming.
Why thank you!! Theres still a lot work to be done and a ton of $$$ that needs to be spent lol. No guesses on the top speed yet. I wont be happy with anything less than 75 though. Im not really that concerned with a crazy top speed. I want the acceleration. I can say that Ive ever driven a boat at speed. This is my first boat. The fastest I can say that Ive ever driven a boat is with me paddling and a stout wind from behind... maybe 5 mph More pics soon and hopefully some progress. Parts I ordered months ago are finally starting to trickle in.

One question, in the last pic you posted there is a red car with an LS in it??? What is it? I see your 240 is next on the list.
First off, Iphone cameras focus is terrible. That car is my bosses C6 Z06 vette. I finally got it running yesterday. Ya the poor 240 is next on the list. I feel bad leaving it sit now for like 4 yrs after a machine shop screwed up the SR20 motor I was swapping into it. If damn T56s werent so expensive I would be working on the 240 right now.

Not having to buy a transmission is what talked me into this boat, but the jet pump needs to be rebuilt and thats going to cost almost as much as the transmission so I looks like I havent gained anything! haha!

Originally Posted by baggins
what headers are those
They are just ebay specials. They are generic "shorty" headers. stainless though..
Old 11-03-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Project is looking good. What are you planning to do to finish off those motor plates? I'm sure you're planning to trim them down (i hope)?

Originally Posted by Sideways_S13
I havent got far enough to think about injector size yet, but I would guess somewhere around 120lbs. Might run E85 so bump that size up by 30%. Some helpful suggestions on injector size would be appreciated.
120 lb/hr are waaaaaaaaaay too big for your goal. I am running Mototron 60 lb/hr in my turbo 6.0 with only a -6 feed, and a single Bosch 044 and it's sufficient.

For E85 you should be fine with a set of 80 lb/hr. I've run E85 on my 60s, and they run out of duty cycle at high rpm and boost.

Keep the progress going, and the pics coming (especially the girlfriend pics )
Old 11-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Compressor Surge
Project is looking good. What are you planning to do to finish off those motor plates? I'm sure you're planning to trim them down (i hope)?

120 lb/hr are waaaaaaaaaay too big for your goal. I am running Mototron 60 lb/hr in my turbo 6.0 with only a -6 feed, and a single Bosch 044 and it's sufficient.

For E85 you should be fine with a set of 80 lb/hr. I've run E85 on my 60s, and they run out of duty cycle at high rpm and boost.

Keep the progress going, and the pics coming (especially the girlfriend pics )
Thanks! yahh Ive trimmed the plates down. You can see the the front one is trimmed in one of the later pics. I was thinking about bringing them to work and engraving the "LSX" logo into the front one but my boss wount let me use the machines for personal work

Thanks for the info on the injectors Ive been wondering about them. I just was planning on going with 120lbers because I read a post about a guy that did a E85 5.3 turbo swap into a 240sx and he was running those injectors and making like 700+hp. If 80lbers are big enough for close to 700 horse then thats fine by me.

I was planning on running this pump.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mallory-1110...sories&vxp=mtr
With a -8 feed line. It seems the outlet on this pump is -6 though. I'd really appreciate some more advice on the injectors and what pump to go with.

I should get the heads finished up tonight. I just need to finish porting the exhaust side on one of the heads. Then I can start running the water lines and work on getting the heat exchanger mounted. I got a buddy that'll sell me a LS6 intake for cheap, though I really want the super victor setup,,, but no $$$$. Pushrods and cam came yesterday. Thunder Racing cut me a deal on some Comp springs and retainers because Ive been waiting on Patriot springs from them now for almost two months. they are being drop shipped. MIGHT make it here by tomorrow. Unlikely though. Post some pics later if I feel ambitious..

Girlfriend pics.... HAHAHA!!!

Hmm so we do some carbon fiber stuff where I work. I wonder if its possible to wrap the LS6 intake in carbon fiber??? Anybody ever seen this done?
-Sideways
Old 11-03-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy a cover that looks like carbon fiber from Ebay but its $270. Here is a link for one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C6-CHEVROLET...item3f08fa8b85
Old 11-03-2011, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

need to cover those valve covers in carbon
Old 11-03-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't personally know of anyone running that Mallory pump....I would be weary, especially with boost, since it claims a rating of only 65 psi. With a boost referenced return system, you will require an additional psi of fuel pressure for every psi of boost pressure. 10 psi of boost will require 68 psi for instance.

This is the pump I use, and it works awesome. Rated for 70+ psi, and plenty of flow. It doesn't have the nice mounting provisions that the Mallory pump has, but some p-clips should take care of that.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CG4Q8wIwAw
Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Teching In

You can buy a cover that looks like carbon fiber from Ebay but its $270. Here is a link for one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C6-CHEVROLET...item3f08fa8b85
Cool lookin piece for sure but Im not running the engine covers so it wont really work. Im wondering if it would be possible to "wrap" a ls6 intake in carbon fiber. I might go crazy and give building my own intake a shot..

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
need to cover those valve covers in carbon
^^^ HAHAHA

Oh Ive already thought of that Mr. Gregory. Need to come up with some molds. Maybe I can get something sort of close to these... hahaha.....maybe
http://www.scootersperformance.com/malitude0097.jpg

Ive pretty much put these seats and this splitter together so dont doubt me too much

Originally Posted by Compressor Surge
I don't personally know of anyone running that Mallory pump....I would be weary, especially with boost, since it claims a rating of only 65 psi. With a boost referenced return system, you will require an additional psi of fuel pressure for every psi of boost pressure. 10 psi of boost will require 68 psi for instance.

This is the pump I use, and it works awesome. Rated for 70+ psi, and plenty of flow. It doesn't have the nice mounting provisions that the Mallory pump has, but some p-clips should take care of that.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CG4Q8wIwAw
How much power are you making with your lq4 setup? Im hoping to be around the 650-675 mark. Im afraid of maxing that pump out. The mallory one too. Not sure what to go with. maybe twin 255 walbros?? Seems to me that a A1000 would be major over kill. Maybe the little brother to the A1000. I need to research some more.

Anyways, cam and pushrods showed up yesterday finally. Still waiting for the spring kit. Hopefully will show mon. or tues. Then I can finally get the motor buttoned up.

Finished up the heads tonight. Turned out pretty good I think. Could prolly be better but Im tired of listening to the compressor run. They should flow better than stock anyways. I can really appreciate the skill and patience professional head porters have

Ive also been working on fabing up a coolant fill/merge tank. Need to make a bracket to bolt it to the head and find somebody to tig it up. Should look pretty sweet with the fittings and stainless hose.

More pics and progress as time and money allows
Old 11-03-2011, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

I have those baddass billet covers you can mold as long you dont muff them up. Sweet little tank. You can get Jones dad to tig them up
Old 11-04-2011, 12:48 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One thing to look out for on fuel pumps is an e85 rating. I am putting together a turbo 5.3L Monte carlo SS right now and almost none of the intank pumps are rated for e85. I believe the only one that was is the deatschwerks dw300 fuel pump. If your looking for almost 700hp with a turbo and e85 dual pumps is a must. IIRC when I did the injector calculation I was looking at ~90lb injectors to be on the safe side at 20lbs of boost and 700hp with e85. 700hp with a BSFC of 0.6 which is standard for forced induction = 420lbs of fuel per hour. which is 70 gallons per hour or 265lph. Add in 30% for swapping from gas to e85 and you get 344.5 LPH of fuel pump and injector capacity.

So you really need dual 255`s and ~ 85lb per hour injectors (assuming an 80% injector duty cycle at WOT).
Old 11-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G-Body
One thing to look out for on fuel pumps is an e85 rating. I am putting together a turbo 5.3L Monte carlo SS right now and almost none of the intank pumps are rated for e85. I believe the only one that was is the deatschwerks dw300 fuel pump. If your looking for almost 700hp with a turbo and e85 dual pumps is a must. IIRC when I did the injector calculation I was looking at ~90lb injectors to be on the safe side at 20lbs of boost and 700hp with e85. 700hp with a BSFC of 0.6 which is standard for forced induction = 420lbs of fuel per hour. which is 70 gallons per hour or 265lph. Add in 30% for swapping from gas to e85 and you get 344.5 LPH of fuel pump and injector capacity.

So you really need dual 255`s and ~ 85lb per hour injectors (assuming an 80% injector duty cycle at WOT).
Ic 85lb injectors sound like the ticket to me. I'd rather not run twin pumps though. Idk if the walbros are rated for E85 either. There has to be a inline pump out there thats inbetween a walbro 255 and a A1000 or somethin crazy big like that. I need to take a look at that deatschwerks pump.

Made a little progress over the weekend. Machined a set of angle blocks to mount the motor plates to the rails. Made a bracket for the coolant merge tank. Made up some coolant lines. Hopefully the Comp springs will be waiting on the front porch when I get home,, or at least tomorrow.

Still need to get the alt. setup built..

Couple pics...

Im not running the truck mani.. I just set it on there. Im think about just running a plain old LS1 intake for cost reasons. zmg00camaross said he was going to give me his but he needs to get it in gear and do his cam swap!!!!!

mock up

Lines run

Machining angle blocks..

Made a couple lame vids of cutting the blocks too might post them up later for fun.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

Come get that ls1 intake.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is the 340lph from aeromotive but it only supports 550 forced induction. If you can get E85 I think the A1000 would be the way to go.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Hmmm A1000 is pretty damn big... guess I'd rather have too much than not enough though. The cost of buying two 255s and the fittings and Y blocks would end up costing the same as A1000. They also make a marine version. I'll keep looking around It seems that all the efi inline pumps that I find are either rated to 550 hp FI or 1000+ FI. Not much inbetween..
Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sideways_S13
Hmmm A1000 is pretty damn big... guess I'd rather have too much than not enough though. The cost of buying two 255s and the fittings and Y blocks would end up costing the same as A1000. They also make a marine version. I'll keep looking around It seems that all the efi inline pumps that I find are either rated to 550 hp FI or 1000+ FI. Not much inbetween..
Im in the same boat.

Check out Fuelab. They can detune their pumps and then you can tune them to come on stronger later in the powerband.

There was one for sale on here for a good price if you search.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
Im in the same boat.

Check out Fuelab. They can detune their pumps and then you can tune them to come on stronger later in the powerband.

There was one for sale on here for a good price if you search.
Hmmm their 40401 pump seems to be the best pump that I can find that fits my needs on this project. Fuel lab my just be the ticket.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...brand-new.html

If I was closer to getting my sc I would be buying this one.
Custom to work with a setup from 600-1500hp.
worth a look. I offered him $400 shipped and he bit.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...brand-new.html

If I was closer to getting my sc I would be buying this one.
Custom to work with a setup from 600-1500hp.
worth a look. I offered him $400 shipped and he bit.
Damn thats a good deal and a good pump..

Still waiting for the springs to show up.. I think its going on two months now

Here's a few lame vids from making the angle blocks. I didnt knock the corners down when I was facing the backside of one of the blocks thats why its squeeling so loud.

Boss was gone the other day so I took a little time and milled the front of the coolant tank to something I think looks a lil better

Old 11-12-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

That machined LSx logo is trick as hell. Nice.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Check out my turbo 5.3 tunnel build on PB. There are a few turbo jet guys over there that are extremely helpful. Impatient1 on this site and PB is also building an Ls powered tunnel with a s480. Heat is definately an issue, my headers were sch 10 stainless and coated and I still ended up building some heat shields. Definately a fun project and I really regret getting rid of it. Link to build: http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...5-3-turbo.html
Old 11-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Uncle_tom79
Check out my turbo 5.3 tunnel build on PB. There are a few turbo jet guys over there that are extremely helpful. Impatient1 on this site and PB is also building an Ls powered tunnel with a s480. Heat is definately an issue, my headers were sch 10 stainless and coated and I still ended up building some heat shields. Definately a fun project and I really regret getting rid of it. Link to build: http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...5-3-turbo.html
I read your entire thread about 3 months ago and thats what started this whole ordeal

Do you have any vids of your boat? Im anxious for some audio lol. Also you used an industrial garrett turbo? 75mm?? Was there any lag? Im planning on a T76. Not sure which brand as of now.

Not much progress lately. Bills, bills, bills. Im starting a new job with better pay and better hours in a couple weeks so hopefully I will have more time and $$$ soon haha.

Quick Reply: 76 Sidewinder jetboat 5.3L turbo build