Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

64 chevelle wagon swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 64 chevelle wagon swap

Hey guys I come bearing many questions. I got a 64 malibu wagon 4dr. that I wanna slap a ls1/t56 combo in. Im very good at fabricating and all of that so that wont be an issue. What do i need to set up the hydralic clutch? What is needed to physically mount the engine/tranny? I want to use stock brackets and I'm not affraid to cut the frame or cross member and box it in. I was thinking about using a z28 cluster and incorporating it into my dash. Im on a budget here, not a very very tight one but I dont want to waste money on like a 300 dollar box to convert the elec. speedo signal to a mech. type. On my fuel system i was gonna use a setup i saw the other day that remotely mounted a canister with a fuel pump in it. It used a water filter container, can anyone gimme the site that this was on? I can probably figure out the wiring easy enough when since I got a couple shop manuals on the cars. On the exhaust, what would fit the chevelle chaisis? also im running 2.5" dual flowmaster system now, would that be a good system for the ls1? does the oil pan clear the front crossmember or does it or the crossmember need to be modified? how much weight would a ls1/t56 save over my current 327/th350? how much rear wheel hp could i expect with a good free flowing exhaust like i have and a good intake. i would also do away with all of the emissions stuff.
Thanks,
Mack
Old 03-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Teching In

no body want to take the time to help me?
Old 03-11-2004, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

did you say TIGHT BUDGET and LS1 swap in the same sentence??? j/k

There are not a lot of CHEAP solutions when it comes to getting all the "little" things integrated like the guage cluster, wiring, computer programming etc. But, my recommendation is to do a search through the forums here. Most of the questions you are asking have been answered... many of them with nice diagrams and pictures of how people have done it.

http://www.geocities.com/hrayhouston/antisurgetank.html
Old 03-11-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As eariler stated, there are no real low budget items when it comes to a LS1 retrofit! Street and Performance makes some nice aluminum plates that will allow you to use the original smallblock mounts and frame mounts. You can expect to expend at least $300 on reprograming the computer to ignore functions which are no longer used. a nice harness will set you back another several hundred bucks. Figure at least $300 for a fuel pump, filter and regulator, as well as adding a return line to the tank. I gave up on trying to cobble together an instrument panel for my 59 Corvette and settled on Dakota Digital. They are $800+ for a complete dash, but it is worth the money! There are several vendors that make headers for this application, and I used S&P since I was using their drive acessories as well. Then you have driveshaft, trans mount, cooling system modifications, ect, ect.
It is a buttload of work and it will not be cheap, but the end result will bring a smile to your face!
Regards, John McGraw
Old 03-12-2004, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let's see where I can save you a few bucks:
1. You can make your own plates that look like S&Ps out of 1/4" steel for about $10.
2. Walbro 255lph in-line fuel pump ($130) and '99+ Corvette fuel filter/regulator (~$40)
3. The "Parts For Sale" and "Parts Wanted" areas on this forum are good places to find things sometimes. You can put a post that says something like: "Waterpump wanted, will pay $50."

Can't help you on exhaust, but there's lots of stuff out there. Like grooves12 said, so some searching and you'll find that most problems have been addressed and are explained in good detail. Also, take whatever budget you have and add another 50 to 100% to it. That's what you're going to end up spending. I know I'm already there and I'm a couple of months from starting it up.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 03-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Teching In

hey guys thanks for the replies. I know budget is a relative thing, I know the costs involved and accept them but i just dont want to go blow 800 on a custom gas tank if some of you catch my drift. thanks alot grooves12, that was the link i was looking for. I was planning on using Ls1 edit to get rid of the functions I didnt need, I can do this right? I found some diagrams for the bracket for the clutch slave cylinder but I still havent found a set of headers that will for sure fit my chevelle chaisis. Anyone else have some suggestions here? Hey John was that dash hard to hook up? What all was involved, just hooking up wires or do you got to use their sending units and all.
Thanks,
Mack
Old 03-15-2004, 07:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sixt4wagon
hey guys thanks for the replies. I know budget is a relative thing, I know the costs involved and accept them but i just dont want to go blow 800 on a custom gas tank if some of you catch my drift. thanks alot grooves12, that was the link i was looking for. I was planning on using Ls1 edit to get rid of the functions I didnt need, I can do this right? I found some diagrams for the bracket for the clutch slave cylinder but I still havent found a set of headers that will for sure fit my chevelle chaisis. Anyone else have some suggestions here? Hey John was that dash hard to hook up? What all was involved, just hooking up wires or do you got to use their sending units and all.
Thanks,
Mack
As far as reprogramming the PCM...that is not required at all. If you bypass the VATS then it will run. The codes will not effect driveability. I have been running for nearly 2 years like this. When I get HPTuners or similar I will delete the nussance stuff. But, save your money for the other stuff first.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Default chevelle swap lessons

I have an LS-1 in a '65 elcamino. Here is what I have figured out so far.

the oil pan will not clear the crossmember. I opted to have S&P modify mine and polish it. I am using the F-body pan.

I moved the braces on the frame for the trans xmember back about 6 inches and rewelded them and that seems to work just right to mount the trans.

I am running the vette brackets because the f-body alternator will not clear the steering box.

the F-body and Y-body a/c compressor will not clear the motor mounts in the back. The fitting on the compressor sticks out too far. I plan on using a vintage air unit. It is a little bit smaller and you can get the fittings on side instead of straight out the back.

As far as exhaust is concerned, I live near Stainless Works and they told me, when I was ready, I could try their headers for an LS-1 in a '67 camaro. They look like they might work. Not cheap though. I cant try it till I get the body back on the frame though.

My only concern with wiring is where to put the CPU. I was thinking about having it so the CPU is on one side of the firewall and the plug is on the other. I would like to try just under the driver side fender. You can order a wiring harness from painless with 4 extra ft. for about $649.00.

I also had Be-Cool build a radiator that will bolt to the chevelle core support and has the in/out the same size/location as an F-body radiator, that way I can use factory hoses.

I have a tank from Rock Valley that is set up for return line so I had to have the fuel rail converted to the return type.

I have pictures of a few things if you are interested.
Attached Thumbnails 64 chevelle wagon swap-ls1camino.jpg  

Quick Reply: 64 chevelle wagon swap