Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silent Assassin '87 300ZX LQ4 turbo Project(updates)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little bit more progress today. I started fapricating the hot side of the turbo. I am using mandrel bends from scrap I get from muffler shops. Today I traded a cold case of pepsi cola for a 2.5 muffler and tail pipe and a 3" tale pipe.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

sweet build.. you going with twins or a single?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Nice build gotta love those Japanese cars with American V-8s.

I really like the body style.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by N2OBaby
Nice build gotta love those Japanese cars with American V-8s.

I really like the body style.
Thanks N2obaby. This car has really grown on me. People wonder why I would choose to build this car instead of an older muscle car. Then I look at the front and think about how aerodynamic this car is and then how light it is and that there are only a couple of people building late 80's z31's. I think it will look even better when I put the big drag radials and front runners on it.

CamaroKing I am going with a single. I may have a deal worked out on a 72mm power master. If thats not big enough I will spray about a hundred shot.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

New update. I got the hot side 99% done. I just have to weld on the t4 flange. That requires me driving across town to purchase it and I have been putting that off. I got a little ahead of myself and coated the pipe cause it is so ugly. Its probably going to get wrapped in header tape anyway but it is going to work and once the turbo is mounted and all the other tubing is made you won't even see the hot side. I have a case of pepsi cola and a ten dollar bill in the pipe. I used tail pipe off a ford truck and one off of a chysler challenger both were scrap from local muffler shops. Sorry about the crappy phone pics I didn't have my Nikon with me.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Who hoo! I got my turbo its a Power Master gt45 and is bigger than I thought it was so I had to modify my hot side some. Thats ok it seems to look good. Here is a picture with the turbo just mocked up.

I am almost finished modifying my truck harness thanks to www.lt1swap.com
Old 01-29-2012, 03:54 AM
On The Tree

Big update. I scored the turbo for this car. It's a Power Master GT45. Its the second largest GT45 Power Master makes and has a 1.05 A/R exhaust housing. This turbo is so large that my original hot side pipe wont work. I could have made it work but I didn't like the first one I built so I made another one out of 3" and I think it looks way better. I also got some 4" pipe for the down pipe. Here is the new hotside.

Here is the start of the down pipe. The turbo is hanging by a support that I made so that the hot side doesn't have the weight of the turbo on it.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Teching In

How do you guys come up with these things? I would never have thought of mounting a turbo in that location, but it sure looks cool. keep up the good work.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

def looks nice. Not sure if i skipped it but assuming no intercooler by the way everything is mounted.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys for the compliments.

I plan on running an intercooler. It will be mounted in front of the radiator if its an air to air. I do have room for an air to water on the drivers side also. I have a volvo intercooler with 2.5 inlet and outlets but I don't this its going to be efficient enough. The main reason for mounting the turbo so far forward was so I didn't have to completely remove all of the core support or hood support whatever you want to call it. It also made fabricating the hotside easier. I am going to use the core support to make an air box with a large panel filter at the inlet of the turbo.

Here is some of what I to done tonight. I got the stainless 4" from a buddy.

I notched the strut tower to make room for the down pipe. I also cut out the sheet metal where the battery once lived so the down pipe can leave the engine bay there also and go underneath the car on the passenger side.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

is there any flex pipe anywhere?
Unless you have solid mounts on the engine, when the engine torques, the turbo will be taking all that stress on your mount. Something is going to break!
Old 01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TTLS1GP
is there any flex pipe anywhere?
Unless you have solid mounts on the engine, when the engine torques, the turbo will be taking all that stress on your mount. Something is going to break!
That is a good point TTL. I used brand new truck motor mounts but I am going to add a torque strap to the drivers side head to the frame.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Are u going to run a turbo blanket of some sort? The turbo seems pretty close to the radiator and I would think would make the coolant hot as hell.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CoreyZ/28
Are u going to run a turbo blanket of some sort? The turbo seems pretty close to the radiator and I would think would make the coolant hot as hell.

I am going to have a pusher fan on the other side of the radiator so the air will be moving away from the turbo and radiator.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Do you have any shots of the motor mounts? I'm curious to see how the truck mounts look in there. I couldn't get them to work for my swap.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
Do you have any shots of the motor mounts? I'm curious to see how the truck mounts look in there. I couldn't get them to work for my swap.

I don't have any yet but the motor is coming out cause that is just an empty block for fabricating everything. My mounts are kinda ghetto. I cut the factory cross member mount stands down about three inches and welded 1/4 inch plates flat with 1" angle iron to make up the funky truck mount angles. The angle is laying upside down like a triangle.

I know that makes no sense so I will try and get some photos soon.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:32 AM
On The Tree

Well I have been pretty busy working on this car the past few days. My exhaust system is about 90% compete. I need about 2 more feet of 4" to finish along with some 02 bungs and a couple of v band flanges and clamps. I also shed about 75 pounds of **** from under the dash. I also scored some race seats and old 5 point harnesses that I have to send in to get new tags on. Here are more photos for you to enjoy. Thanks

Old 02-08-2012, 03:38 AM
On The Tree

Here is a pic of the new seats. The dash and panels are going to be painted black.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:26 AM
On The Tree

Not a whole lot to update. I removed the engine as it was just for mocking up anyway. I cut the passenger side of the firewall out and began moving it back about 3 inches. I will get some pics of that when im done. I also painted my dash black and it looks bad ***. I had trouble with the ac vents fish eyeing on me when I tried to paint them black and now I am going to find some black ones. A lot of people have been concerned about the rear end with this kind of power. You do not have to worry any more. I purchased an 8.8 fox body rear end and a buddy let me use his weld wheels with slicks on to mock up and see if they fit. Believe it or not the stock shocks location on my z matched up to the 8.8. I have decided I am going with the slick and front runner look from now on. Screw the 17's I like the race look better. In this photo I have the car sitting on the rear end housing nothing is bolted up yet. I have plenty of room for the big 28x10.5 slicks. I think I am going to say screw it and slap on some ladder bars and coil overs. I want to keep the ride height as in this photos so I am going to have to do some more sheet metal work. Let me know what you think.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Updates... Is this monster running?

Quick Reply: Silent Assassin '87 300ZX LQ4 turbo Project(updates)