Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering gone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default power steering gone?

I swapped a 5.3l lm7 into my 79 chevy 4x4 as known by now.

Well the problem im running into is a lose power steering it feels like at idle or anywhere below like 1k to 1200 rpm.

Its still got the original 5.3l saginaw pump mounted to the accessory bracket.
only thing i can think of its because its on 38.5 tires.... but my friend has a stock 350, with his stock power steering turning 38's just fine even at 700 rpm idle...

mine will turn about a 1/4 turn on the wheel, just enough to get the truck to stand up a little and it wont do anything, unless brought up to higher RPM.

COULD THIS PUMP BE WORN OUT? OR HAS SOMEONE ELSE RAN INTO THIS PROBLEM?

POSSIBLY A SMALLER PULLEY?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

I would take some of the fluid and put it in a clear bottle to check for debris. Or you can pour some of the fluid thru a white paper towel. It only takes .0005" of debris to hang up the pressure relief valve.

Smaller pulley will help if it's RPM related.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the fluid brown-overheated?
Also, is it possible that you have air within the system?
Try turning the wheel lock to lock 8 to 10 times, slowly. I usually do this with the front wheels off of the ground.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jack up the front onto jack stands so the wheels are off the ground. check to make sure you have full travel (lock to lock) of the steering without any coming into contact. while it is up. try and bleed the system as suggested by gMAG.

You Truck LM7 should be pushing 1200 to 1600 psi, and should produce full pressure off idle (1200-1500rpm) which should be a few hundred lbs more than your older SBC / 350 pump.. I would guess that there is something wrong with the pump or the valve in the system.

There is an orfice in the pump output fitting that controls the flow output. It can be changed to increase or decrease Output pressure. Might take this apart and check it for any obstruction or malfunction. Might try another pump ?

There was a thread on the Power Pump Pressure.. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...truck-etc.html.

hope you resolve your problme...
Old 11-04-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check for debris in the prv..
Old 11-05-2011, 01:57 AM
Staging Lane

Air in the system will generate noise, as in the noisey Ford power steering pumps you always hear. Only way to bleed a Ford pump is to use a Mity Vac to vacuum bleed it.

In the past 10 years power steering hoses are not having the life that they used to have, epa regulating what goes into the rubber material. Any debris found in the fluid is typically the internals of the hoses breaking down.

Quick Reply: power steering gone?