Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 camaro lh6 swap questions..

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 camaro lh6 swap questions..

Hey guys, well, I'm making the switch to run my Aluminum 5.3 in my 89 Camaro to run Open Comp and some LSX Events. I was wondering what are the best swap mounts to use, I prefer to run a solid mount as this is a drag car only and am just unsure which route to go. Also I've seen some issues with the GM Muscle Car Oil pan kit in the #rd gens, any suggestions there? Also has anybody run the Front Cover and a distributor as opposed to the coil on plug set up?

Thanks for any input,
Denny
Old 11-13-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

No solid swap mounts exist for 3rd gens

You can use the Spohn stands with 98-02 solid mounts, but for that much trouble you can weld up your own from scrap steel
Alternatively you can use SBC solids, SBC engine mounts and the 1" setback adapter plates

The muscle car pan hangs too low. First launch landing or speedbump will bust it wide open. Fbody pan is the ONLY pan that clears the stock K-member. Tubular K allows corvette LS1/2/3 pans, even the batwing to clear
If you're handy with a TIG, then a cut down truck pan will clear

Front dist kit will work fine if you can afford it, but why bother? Single coil vs 8? Seems like a step backwards
Old 11-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks Pocket, I'll probably end up running the solid SBC mounts and the set back plates, especially seeing that I already have the solids. Thanks for the heads up on the F-body Pan, I was about to order the Muscle Car kit. As for the costs of the front cover kit, I'm a GM Service manager, so I get a pretty good discount. And I like the idea of having 1 MSD coil and the cost to replace it as opposed to having to buy 8. I know Moroso makes a 1" taller solid mount, I wonder if that would give enough clearance for the Muscle Car kit...
Old 11-13-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Check out the pan dimensions in the sticky. The Fbody pan is DEAD even with the bottom of the K

How often do LS1 coils go out? They're pretty powerful in stock form
Old 11-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pocket
Check out the pan dimensions in the sticky. The Fbody pan is DEAD even with the bottom of the K

How often do LS1 coils go out? They're pretty powerful in stock form
I will thanks, and you'd be surprised how many LS coils we replace in the shop..

Quick Reply: 89 camaro lh6 swap questions..