Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drain in a radiator hose??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drain in a radiator hose??

Besides an inline radiator hose drain, is there anything else I can use to put a drain plug in my lower radiator hose? The hose is too short for an inline one.
Thanks
Old 12-04-2011, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What is wrong with the one built in the radiator?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
What is wrong with the one built in the radiator?
It does not have one. I might at some pointI would have one welded in, but I thought there might be something I could just put in in the lower radiator hose. I figured it would drain the majority of what was there.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Now it all makes sense! Might be time to fire up the TIG welder.

There is a drain on the block. Look on the #1 cylinder (driver's) side from the ground straight up. There will be a brass thread in plug directly above the oil filter boss that takes a metric Allen wrench. I can't remember the size but you will need to use the socket style Allen wrenches to hit it. This won't be as low as the lowest point like a radiator drain, but it might get you close depending on your setup. I've used this to get the coolant out of the block before pulling the heads.

This plug is pretty tight from the factory and has sealer on it so don't forget the sealant when you replace it.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Now it all makes sense! Might be time to fire up the TIG welder.

There is a drain on the block. Look on the #1 cylinder (driver's) side from the ground straight up. There will be a brass thread in plug directly above the oil filter boss that takes a metric Allen wrench. I can't remember the size but you will need to use the socket style Allen wrenches to hit it. This won't be as low as the lowest point like a radiator drain, but it might get you close depending on your setup. I've used this to get the coolant out of the block before pulling the heads.

This plug is pretty tight from the factory and has sealer on it so don't forget the sealant when you replace it.
Thanks GFWC. I will look for that. I should have asked this before I started messing around with my radiator hoses. I already put coolant in & I made a hell of a mess.
I also sent John an email about the DBW compatibility thing from the other thread.
Thanks,
Brandon

Quick Reply: Drain in a radiator hose??