Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part out or sell without motor/trans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part out or sell without motor/trans?

Just looking for a little insight from others who may have gone the same route I'm headed down.

I think i'm just going to buy a used camaro and steal the LS1/T56 for my corvette.(Sorry Camaro guys!)

Didn't know what someone can get parting out the rest of the car or how hard is it to find someone interested in the rest as a whole...
Old 12-04-2011, 12:58 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

You're headed the right direction if you don't mind dealing with the unwashed public while selling.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmd
You're headed the right direction if you don't mind dealing with the unwashed public while selling.
Naa. I have plenty of room in my basement/attic for parts.

So i'd probably just dismantle the entire car and store it inside to get it out of my garage as quick as possible.

Not sure what to do with the frame or if that's a part people actively look for a replacement...
Old 12-04-2011, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

I just did the part-out route in my build, and would not do it again.

Looking through the classifieds section, it most cars that are in good shape but don't have a motor & trans go in the $2000-$2500 range. When I parted mine out, I only got in the $1600 range. Factor in all of the time involved and it is certainly a losing proposition.

That was my experience anyway.
Either way you go, it appears getting the motor & trans from a car then selling the rest is cheaper than piecing it all together.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 71Fakes
I just did the part-out route in my build, and would not do it again.

Looking through the classifieds section, it most cars that are in good shape but don't have a motor & trans go in the $2000-$2500 range. When I parted mine out, I only got in the $1600 range. Factor in all of the time involved and it is certainly a losing proposition.

That was my experience anyway.
Either way you go, it appears getting the motor & trans from a car then selling the rest is cheaper than piecing it all together.
How much did you keep for yourself?

Without going through and looking at what every part sells for I can't put a number to mind "if" i can sell everything I don't need.

But thinking: wheels/tires, rear end, suspension parts, interior, steering, braking, body panels, radiator/fans, lights, tail lights, exhaust?, door panels, t tops, ....

Forgetting anything major?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

If you want, PM me your email address and I will send you my excel file that documents what sold and for how much. I might have been able to get a little more money out of the parts, but at the expense of repeated eBay listings, etc.

From my donor car, I kept the motor, wiring harness, trans, driveshaft, wheels, fuse panel, and pedals. As it turns out the fuse panel and pedals are completely useless for my swap.

Quick Reply: Part out or sell without motor/trans?