Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project: Stang' Bang: New Edge Turbo Build... class? Track?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Project: Stang' Bang: New Edge Turbo Build... class? Track?

Here goes,

Project Stang' Bang-

99 mustang
5.3 Litre (will forge when it breaks, already collecting parts)
Borg S475 (will upgrade to s88 after this year)
Gonna try the Profec B Spec 2 out for awhile and see how it works
Comp Cam
powerglide
8.8" ford rear end (undecided on gear choice, could use some help)
A2A or A2W (undecided)
AJE everything and Team Z out back.
Engine managment is undecided, i have a gm harness and computer, but leaning towards stand alone, MS or Holley
Triple walbro fuel system with full return and Aero 1000 reg.

Local class starting up, i was originally gonna do an RX7, long story short, its gone, enter New Edge.

Anyway, local class, 76mm max, 3400lb with innercooler. I was originally gonna build the motor all out, and go with the 88mm turbo, but this class opened up and i saw a way into a heads up class utlizing what i already have and learning the ropes. So this is what we are doing for atleast the first season. Maybe 2. Class is designed to be a 5.7 to 6.x class. 1/8th miles, heads up, with some rules about breaking out, weight penalty for going faster. I wont win, i only hope to qualify. Basically same story as before, only with less power, lol.

Inspiration for this build is obvious, Phil Thomas and the renegade, i have spoken to him many times and even tossed around the idea of calling this "minigade" lol. But decided against it. Anyway, gonna try and move quick on this project as it has to be ready for the spring.

Went down and met Jimmy from AJE today and we discussed the project in length, and worked with me on the parts ill need and gave me some good pointers for the radial stuff. We are gonna work out the front suspension in the spring before the season starts. Great people down their and was more then willing to sit and talk for a few hours. Even gave me solid mount with my k member, I think some people thought they didnt offer them, he whipped me up a new member with solids right before my eyes,lol.

Anyway, got the welder back two days ago and dont plan to waste anytime, im still up in the air about the headers/manifolds, the stainless JBA gto headers i was gonna use wont fit, so im either gonna have to use corvette manifolds or man up and make a set, but i suck, so thats probably out of the question, lol

Last edited by JAX04; 05-08-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Sweet!! Keep us posted. This will surely b a helluva ride!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Subscribed
Old 12-21-2011, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Huge turbo should run real good.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to this one, I've wanted to build a car like this for a couple years now, so I really hope I'm happy with it.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

If you are not happy with it you can give it to me.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Lmao, ill just keep building until I am happy, lol. However long it takes
Old 12-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

So this is the new toy... happened to get on here just in time to see the fun start.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Subscribing.. Very similar to my build but I am building a fox. Good luck man!
Old 12-25-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slimbobaggins
So this is the new toy... happened to get on here just in time to see the fun start.
Yep, this is the new toy buddy, i never thought in a million years id be excited about a MUSTANG! Things change, lol.

Originally Posted by oh3cobra
Subscribing.. Very similar to my build but I am building a fox. Good luck man!
Thanks man, im gonna need all the luck i can get.

Oh, plan on putting the K member and motor tomorrow. Also, i was able to snag up the correct exhaust manifold for my turbo build, should be arriving some time in the next couple weeks and i will begin the turbo build and all the other jazz.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Time for a little Update...

My good buddy Dave, whom will be my primary hand in help for this project, came over around noon today. we ate some Ball Park, Deli Style hot dogs which are amazing, and then got to work.

Started off with the picture above, noting gone from the engine bay except the engine and trans. Removed the stock Kmember and all the supporting hardware and replaced with the AJE cross member and stock a arms. I know, they are ugly, but i needed to get the car down and around the approx ride height to start other projects. I did this by Cutting 1.5 coils out of each front spring, and it brought it down to approx where it will be. This was calculated using no math, just a guess and it came out about right, LMAO! Hey, if Foose can do it, so can I!

Anyway, After getting the Kmember in, we decided to get the motor in, this was set back due to needing to drill a hole in the engine block for the oil dipstick tube. 04' LM4 and Fbody Pan equals no hole for oil dipstick. Trust me, just the boss was their, no hole, no plug, no nothing. SO we drilled it out.

After that, we decided to button it back up and mount drop the motor into its final resting place (for this season, next season, car will change colors and all the visual aspects will be addressed).

Anyway, everything is back on for the moment, and this is how she sits, and i will begin fabricating the new turbo setup once the new manifold gets here, when the valve springs get here, the new cam will go in. and i will move forward with plumbing and wiring. Getting their. Uhg..

Also, turbo placement is not final, although this is what i would like the most it might end up mounted very similar to Dville's fox build. Depends on how i feel about it. Ive got enough piping to do it both ways. We'll see.

OH, and ALSO, the AJE piece, TOP quality, i had absolutely ZERO fitment issues, it bolted right in with ZERO problems.

Would like to gain a little more clearance in the front, which water pump and pulley setup is the slimmest? Not to mention, i cannot run this water pump anyhow...

Old 12-28-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Im a bit toasted at the moment, and felt like updating a little bit.

Valve springs will be here by friday.
8.8 will be here within the next couple hours
Manifold will be here by the 3rd.
MS3x is more then likely getting ordered in the next couple hours, depends on how much more i drink! FAK!

**** is about to get serious!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

this is going to be fun
Old 01-02-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BLKLS1240SX
this is going to be fun
I really hope, lol

Well, Buddy Dave spent Friday night, Sunday night and Tonight helping me.

We got the car turned around and nosed into the garage so its closer to the work bench and the welder and did a few small things, nothing worth noting.

After spending the day over at another friends helping him pull a motor, we came back here and got the old 7.5" axle out of the stang and put the 8.8 in and got it back on the ground. We got a real late start on that due to be being busy all day. Got wrapped around 1:30am.

Today, monday, we got the heads pulled off the 5.3 and i started pulling the valve springs and replacing with the PRC .650 dual springs, however, i need to order new seals before i can wrap that up. No pics until this point. With that said, we new what had to come next, stripping and gutting the interior, FULL interior car with carpet and seats and the whole nine yards

Few hours later we were left with this below, i will order the cage tomorrow or wed. The flex plate and pilot extender should be here by the end of the week along with a few other odds and ends things will start moving again, Hope to have the drivetrain all buttoned up with the exception of the DS next weekend and start the turbo build...

Also, pretty sure unless for some reason i really fall into some good deals, regarding a radiator and fan setup and oil pump, im probably just gonna skip the forward facing turbo and mount it like dville's. I dont have enough time to do alot of off the wall stuff right now and need to seize every oppurtunity that i have.

Also, im a little worried about its ability too cool on a long street cruise.

Anyway, onto the next task...
Old 01-02-2012, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What About that Yellow Nova in the Back Ground in the First Pic of the mustang? You gone to do a LS1 swap on it later?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thenova70ss
What About that Yellow Nova in the Back Ground in the First Pic of the mustang? You gone to do a LS1 swap on it later?
Thats actually the former owner of this mustangs car. When i went to buy to this, the guy had 3 nova's, lol

a 67, cherry red with a BBC, all out drag car, this car was perfect in every way, absolutely beautiful car!

that yellow one, waiting on its swap and then another similar one, White, in the garage that was getting an LS1 swap.

His plan for this car was an LS swap, but he decided he had to many projects, lol
Old 01-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Did you figure out which water pump you're going to run? Why can't you run the one that's on there now?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slimbobaggins
Did you figure out which water pump you're going to run? Why can't you run the one that's on there now?
Fbody pump Slim. I cant run the truck pump with the LS1/6 or any other intake (stock style) then the truck because the upper water neck hits the throttle body.

I bought one last week from a guy on here and should be arriving sometime this week i hope

If i had mad cash, i would run a remote electric water pump and open the entire front of my engine compartment.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JAX04
uld run a remote electric water pump and open the entire front of my engine compartment.
I thought about running a remote pump for the same reason, and i've had more than a couple guys discourage it, saying that I'll be spending a lot of time chasing air pockets in the cooling system
Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAX04
I cant run the truck pump with the LS1/6 or any other intake (stock style) then the truck because the upper water neck hits the throttle body.
Not exactly true (you have to twist the neck and dent it slightly), I run truck accessories (and even built my own high mount alternator kit for like $5).

Quick Reply: Project: Stang' Bang: New Edge Turbo Build... class? Track?