Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E manuals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E manuals?

I am working on my conversion... LS1 into Isuzu Vehicross... I have finally sourced an adaptor plate for the use of my Borg Warner Torque On Demand transfer case to work with the 4L60E that came with my LS1 (out of a Z28)... anyway, the output shaft of passenger cars is longer than that of a similar transmission in a 4x4 vehicle... so, I have to change out the output shaft to a 4x4 unit (shorter).

I have a problem with trusting the tranny shops here in the area, and can't seem to find anyone who KNOWS someone who can do the work... wasn't really looking for a deal so much as someone I can trust. I want to change out the output shaft... but "supposedly" my tranny only has 17K miles on it, so I don't know that there is any reason to completely rebuild it... I don't want someone I don't know or trust to just pressure me into something I don't need... money is tight right now.

If I had a proper shop manual, I am confident that with my mechanical abilities and a decent array of tools as well as access to ALL possible tools if I need them, that I could open it up, replace the shaft and put it back together. Sooo... that brings me to my question...

Does anyone here know of a PDF'd manual for the 4L60E? If not, does anyone recommend a specific brand or issue of manual for doing such a job? If so, PLEASE help a brutha out! I should have my parts later this week and ULTIMATELY it would be great to work on it over the weekend.

Thanks in advance. BTW, I posted this same EXACT thread over in the automatic trasnsmission forum too... just want to cover bases here.

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am)

Undergoing LS1 Coversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!
Old 03-16-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

ATSG makes the tech manuals for trannys. they are in florida. i can get you a supplier in MO. tommorow.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:25 AM
Staging Lane

That would be GREAT. I searched around the net for a manual, but all I found were things from CHiltons and some other company that I didn't recognize... I don't trust that a GENERAL trans repair manual from Chiltons would have the specific detailed info I would want/need... and the OTHER manual (not sure now what btand) was sold by JC Whitney... I don't expect I need to say anything else about that manual... or maybe its a good one... who knows?! lol Anyway, I'd really appreciate the info about MO supplier of that manual. Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2004, 07:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have the ATSG manual, its very step-by-step. Changing out the shaft is pretty easy, just pull out the pump, pull the band, pull the input shaft/drum and reverse input assembly, pull the sun gear, remove the snap ring from the top of the output shaft and presto
Old 03-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Brains
blah blah blah...and presto
Are you exagerating? That sounds AWFULLY simple... so I don't have to do ANYTHING regarding the tranny pan or valvle body? Just remove the front pump, and basically remove largeish sub-assemblies until I get to the output shaft, remove clip/retainer, swap shaft and then go backwards? Sounds too good to be true! lol I found the ATSG manuals online... haven't however found one in KC... OR a list of any kind of distrutor here. I could pay FedEx shipping but thats as much as the dang manual JUST for the shipping. I'll keep looking but if anyone knows how I can get one QUICK for a reasonable price, lemme know.

TTYL!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

ATC
springfield 800-720-7060
kansas city 800-741-3676

dont know which is closer to you
but there you go :-)
Old 03-17-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, it really is pretty simple !! You'll want to get a new pan and pump gasket, but other than that the other seals should be fine going back in. You only have to pull the pan to get the filter and lockup solenoid out of the pump.

Oh I forgot one step -- pull the extension housing off, but you probably already have that off anyway.

It will pretty much go like this:

1. Unbolt the transmission bellhousing (T47 torx if memory serves) Might not even be necessary, just look and see Can't remember if the lip hangs over the pump face or not.
2. Remove the transmission pan.
3. Remove the filter.
4. Remove the lockup solenoid -- its the one closest to the front of the transmission, going into the pump.
5. Remove the pump bolts.
6. Remove the pump. It'll be kinda snug, but you can lift 'em out by hand if you're strong enough
7. Lift the input shaft, drum and reverse input assemblies out all as one big chunk. Keep an eye on the 2/4 band, it might need a little coaxing to slip off the reverse drum.
8. Grab the 2/4 band that by now is either hanging in mid-air, or has fallen into the case.
9. Reach down and lift out the sun gear.
10. Grab your snap ring pliers (expanding type) and remove the snap ring from the top of the output shaft. This will be the most difficult portion of the swap

Assembly is the reverse of this process The big things to be careful of are proper pump alignment, dirt and crap falling into the unit, forgetting the lockup solenoid or the filter in the pump, and tearing up the 4 teflon seals on the turbine shaft. When you put it back together, lube up the teflon seals with something -- believe it or not, the garage door lubricant "door ease" stick works great Otherwise just use a good amount of transmission fluid and be careful. Anyway, drop the input/reverse assy. into the case, get it down on the clutch plate teeth all the way, and then get the band on. You can move the input side to side and pop the band onto the anchor pin and apply pin with a screwdriver. Then drop the pump in with the new gasket, make sure the holes line up well, and then bolt it down evenly.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

WicketMike-
Thanks for the contact info! Thats awsome... just 15-20 minutes up the road... and I'll be getting my ATSG manual and maybe even the update supplement. BTW, I was looking at your sig banner... I like the SGM Bird... I had one of the FEW '98 SGM Ws6 Drop Tops with the A4... it was one of FOUR drop top SGM WS6's made! Damn I miss that ride! Couldn't handle driving here in the midwest snow... and couldn't afford a second car! Maybe someday I can get it or one of them back!

Brains-
Thank YOU for the wonderful information. Sounds simple enough... and if it weren't for finding the manual locally, I'd be doing the job this weekend WITHOUT the manual... but... since I can get the manual... might as well be safe. Who knows... maybe I can learn a trick or two.

Thanks again guys!
Old 03-18-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was wondering where i knew your name from "coachreed" it must have been becuz of the SGM :-)
Old 03-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WicketMike
i was wondering where i knew your name from "coachreed" it must have been becuz of the SGM :-)
Probably... I used to be all over the boards... here is a picture... MAN I miss that car...

A good friend of mine has the 1 of 1 Inverse 30th... I had a couple pictures with the two of them side by side... but I can't seem to find them... oh well... If I ever trip across that thing in the future I will probably buy it back... If not, I might actively presue it again... like I did for nearly three years before I bought that one! lol Live and learn! I also used to manufacture the clear license plate covers for the Firebird/Trans Am...

TTYL!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The pump bolts are a t50 PLUS, but a regular t50 works ok. Make sure you have the input drum assembly below the pump mating surface before you try and drop the pump in. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 4L60E manuals?