Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 944 swaps are out there

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many 944 swaps are out there

any of you guys on here doing or have done the swap of putting an LS into a 944. Ive been on 944 hybrids - texas performance concepts and renegade hybrids. Seen a few, but still have a few questions I would like to ask.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Launching!

I have one and there are several on this board.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:56 PM

Did you use one of the kits available through Renegade or Texas Performance Concepts or did you do your own fabrication?
I just picked up my motor the other day (2000 LS1 out of a Camaro). It looks sound, but I have not taken it apart to see how the bottom end looks. My plan was to retain the stock crank because they are good for quite a bit of power, but replace the rods and pistons with Diamond pistons and Scat rods for now. Future plans would be to add LS6 heads and intake as well as a cam.
Any advice on the build?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:50 AM
Launching!

I got my parts from TPC. He has good products and stands behind them. If you have questions feel free to ask. The only suggestion I would have is to plan how you want to do things before you start. Brakes on these swaps are a big concern. You can't keep the power booster. You either have to go with hydroboost or a manual setup. I used a dual master cylinder manual setup with a balance bar and stock turbo brakes.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:23 AM

I was leaning towards TPC becuse his tech support on their forum site seems top notch. He seems to genuinely care.
My main concern right now is that the wiring in the car is old and ratty looking. I wanted to seperate the body from the frame and rewire everything and get rid of whats not needed while I tool around with the motor.
Whats the difference between a Hydroboosted system versus a manual?
What accessories are you running with your car; AC, power steering, etc..?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arthropraxis
I got my parts from TPC. He has good products and stands behind them. If you have questions feel free to ask. The only suggestion I would have is to plan how you want to do things before you start. Brakes on these swaps are a big concern. You can't keep the power booster. You either have to go with hydroboost or a manual setup. I used a dual master cylinder manual setup with a balance bar and stock turbo brakes.
Do you have any pictures that you could post?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Launching!

I was leaning towards TPC becuse his tech support on their forum site seems top notch. He seems to genuinely care.
My main concern right now is that the wiring in the car is old and ratty looking. I wanted to seperate the body from the frame and rewire everything and get rid of whats not needed while I tool around with the motor.
Whats the difference between a Hydroboosted system versus a manual?
What accessories are you running with your car; AC, power steering, etc..?[/QUOTE]

Definitely, go with TPC. He stands behind his products.
I don't think you can separate the body from the frame. All of the wiring is accessible once you strip the interior. I took mine out and all of the wiring harness was under it.
The hydroboost is a boosted system that runs off the power steering pump and has a small enough mount to fit the available space. A manual system is just that, pure hydraulic with no assistance like the hydroboost or vacuum systems.
My car is running manual brakes, steering and it will have A/C. The A/C is wired in but I still need to make two hoses for it. I am only doing the manual brakes and steering for simplicity. I may in the future go to powered systems.
The only thing I have left to do is exhaust, which is two into one and out the factory exhaust spot.
Some one asked for pictures. I do have a short video of the first roll out of the garage.
A few changes have been made since the picture was taken.

Last edited by arthropraxis; 01-12-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 AM

car looks good man.
I will probably go with manual brakes and steering as well, but I am in Florida so AC is a must.
Where are you located?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:57 AM
Launching!

I am in SC. In the picture the throttle cable has two large bends. I would recommend you make it as short as possible. I took the bends out and it made for a much lighter pedal.

Last edited by arthropraxis; 01-13-2012 at 07:29 AM.

Quick Reply: How many 944 swaps are out there