Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

game-over's 69 lsx 1/1/13 new pics (UPDATE) pg.10

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by game-over
and yes tony.. i am still dragging my *** on ordering my fuel system lines.. im just locked up on what fittings.. i am stupid when it comes that that. ( and yes i know you sent me a pic of what to buy...) i just need to do it.
Lol! I didn't say a word!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by game-over
my issues were as followed..
1. the body bushing mounting location under the fire wall on the passenger side of the car was rotted out.
we were very fortunate that we could get to it from under the car. we drilled out , then cfinished cutting, welded in a new filler peice and then redrilled for the mount to access.

issues with the frame...

2. next issue was.... the car was hit in the front passanger side. the front cross member was pushed back and was a pain in the a** to fix.
we cut out the material and my buddy was able to reweld a new peice in to its place. HE DID AN OUTSTANDING JOB mimicing the other side and what its is suppose to be.

no depending what is wrong with your subframe......

I ended up cutting and welding the subframe connectors in before the frame was fixed. i had alot of time and money into the frame at this point. not to fix the problem areas was foing to rack up the frame cost even more.

i was on the fence of buying a reproduction frame for $800 and starting over.. i would have if my subframe wasnt already solid.

so depending what you need fixed you may beable to get to it with out yanking everything out.
but if you have to and you dont know how to weld... (which i dont)... you might be better off buying a repro subframe..

hope this helps...
Thanks that does help. My car has never been wrecked. Or at least the frame has never been bent, I am sure it has been in a few fender benders in its 43 years. However, my mounts under the firewall are rusted and need replaced. I am trying to figure out how to do this without removing the subframe. I have the plates already I just need to get them welded in. My dad can weld and I can use a MIG, but I am not sure a MIG is up for a frame job?? I like how you drilled out round the rusted area before you cut it. What did you use to get the rest of it out of there? Did you just keep drilling or did you use a saw of some sort?

Last edited by kirk69nova; 01-02-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kirk69nova
Thanks that does help. My car has never been wrecked. Or at least the frame has never been bent, I am sure it has been in a few fender benders in its 43 years. However, my mounts under the firewall are rusted and need replaced. I am trying to figure out how to do this without removing the subframe. I have the plates already I just need to get them welded in. My dad can weld and I can use a MIG, but I am not sure a MIG is up for a frame job?? I like how you drilled out round the rusted area before you cut it. What did you use to get the rest of it out of there? Did you just keep drilling or did you use a saw of some sort?
yeah.... we ended up just drilling it out.. it was painful but did the job...
after moving forward with this mfer. she was hit pretty hard earier in its life and causing me all kinds of fits but i am to deep to get a new subframe...

1/4" push back
Old 03-06-2013, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

modified my DSE plate

Old 03-06-2013, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

before

AFTER

Old 03-06-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great progress! Congratulations. I like the look of that clutch master...
Old 03-06-2013, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 69 is coming together rather fast! Looks great!
I thought you sold the T/A. She looks new again.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

heddman hedders installed .... not as low as i was expecting

holy tight
Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

heddman hedders installed .... not as low as i was expecting

holy tight
Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

intake is set up

Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

intake is set up

Old 03-23-2013, 02:27 PM
10 Second Club

she is alive!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

shifter...

Fluids.

Accessories

Guages should be here tuesday

buttoning up

Hoses for radiator

PCM mounted behind the glove box

other goodies

OLD

gutted again

plugs

Gas tank

Last edited by game-over; 03-23-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

wires are almost all done

Fires up... first crank.... air meter just held up and two vacuum leaks... very impressed with it.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Cool, do we get a video to go along with the pics.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe i've missed it - but what shifter is that?
Old 03-23-2013, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

The last "picture" is a video from photo bucket.
Was the first start up.

I still need
- power steering hoses
- driveshaft
- gauges

Other than that we will be game to tune her out on the 3rd-9th
Old 03-23-2013, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by the1theycallthe1
Maybe i've missed it - but what shifter is that?

Pro 5.0 shifter.
I may need to make a custom shifter handle. It sits to far forward than my liking.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

I will try to have a write up on everything I used and what worked and what didn't, what I would and wouldn't use.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

my thoughts on what this car has vs what it should have, or even what i regret buying......

BRP HOTROD (musclrod)

I bought the entire kit from them...
included
motor mounts, tranny crossmember, tranny bushing, heddman 1 7/8th black maxx hedders.

motor mounts..
would have been perfect to install first try right off the bat. BUT my car was hit on the passenger side front. so it shifted the cockeyed .. the mounts are straight thru diameter holes. I wish they would have had a little slop th them . I had to hog it out and make my own slots. once this was done everything went in and out and back in very well. the motor does sit bout 3.5-4" off the firewall( a little forward for my liking but it did help with the tranny and not having to cut the tunnel.

Tranny cross member...
After struggling with this crossmember for a week i finally talked to Jeff and they ended up sending me a crossmember for an auto tranny... I was very unhappy but i was glad it got resolved quickly once we figured out was wrong. Again this crossmember had drilled holes that were basically size for size and had no room for movement. The suggestion was that we slot these also. We did for added ease and everything looks and slid up great. In the intall directions it says if you have the nova application you need to grind off a portion of the tranny of the t56... well it has to be done for the camaro also.
After modifing the crossmember . it sits in perfect. Apperently since i bought the kit BRP has updated the design to accomindate some of these issues.

OIL pan LH8..
this pan fits very nicely and i would recommend it ( so far). only issue i have had is that gm calls for NO rtv sealant on the gasket on the ls1 oil pan. I followed that. on the brp website it calls for a couple dabs here and there... i have a slight oil leak that i will tend to later. I am unsure if it the oil pan or not squaring up my rear cover before i installed it. The pan does sit a little low but not as low as everyone made it out to be. the mounts do make the motor sit a little high so i guess that helps.

Dipstick.
The on from brp does not fit this oilpan to the ls1 motor. I an using the stock dipstick and works perfect.

BRP/ HEDDMAN hedders 1 7/8 long tube black maxxed..
passenger side slid right in. I had to Cut off a few threads off my upper control arms because it was interfearing. driverside would not go in unless i took the mounts appart and jacked up the motor. other than that the hedders do clear alomst everything other than the one problem spot. ITS CLOSE DONT get me wrong. one area its less than a 1/4" away from a rubber bushing. I was told that the Black MAXXED coated hedders disapate heat very well.

BRP hotrods over all..
Jeff has great customer service and treats all of his customers awesome and was very accomidating. My only issue is that at the beginning of all this it was stated that anyone with some know how could do this swap in the driveway in a weekend...
a little misleading, i did not know what i was gonna get myself into, After feeling comforatable with the modifing of some of the parts it all went very well..
So with a little bit more of a know how and being able to feel good about modifing items... I would still give them a 8 overall... so issues but i really feel if i can work them out... any one could..

Tea ( total engine airflow)
i got the heads and cam stage 2 set up from TEA. I sent them my 243s off of a trailblazer and in 2.5 weeks the returned everything. All in all litlle over $2000 for full top end. I am very happing so far. Mike had/has great customer service even 8 months after the fact. Very good group of guys. I would rate them a 9 maybe 10.

ENTROPY radiators.

I love this radiator. exspensive $700 with the harness and such. but i love how this looks and has great welds.
Fast shipping and fast responses..

Fuel system...
thank you TSNOW... I ordered all of the russel and summit items. Corvette fuel fitler , i have the fast fuel rails and guages.
Detroit speed narrowed fi gastank. The gas tank was exspensive $1200 but comes with everything. 255 walboro and sending unit and such... other than the price i would recommend it to others. everything seems to working properly. all -6 an lines and fitting... everything from summit!

Detroit speed.....
Where to start with them ...
suspension... Ill tell you all my suspension went smooth as butter.. I did a 2" drop all the way around. multi leaf inthe back and springs up front. other details in my build thread... I am supper excite4d to see how everything rides..
body mounts... awesome looking, solid, fit perfect.
steering.. replaced everything that has to do with steering... BUTTER... direct fit no issues..
Brake booster.... nice part.... was not happy about how the booster angled up, would not have cleared the hood. I had to buy angle reducers. $300+ then a $30 adjustment bracket. wasnt happy with it but it got the job done...
Plate converstion kit of the t56 on the firewall clutch master...
nothing about this plate was accurate other than the angle, it had to be hogged out and opened in up. hole sizes were not right etc etc. i had more money into modifing the part then it actually was. that was a bummer......
TICK master... great product but went the the plate issues ^^^^ so i was just mad about the whole thing... apperently detroit speed is not making a converstion kit for this swap set up.... came out with it the day i modified everything... another bummer...

Detroit speed over all... I really really like their product and for the most part everything was a direct bolt and go....... My only issue is that when i buy a high dollar part. I expect it to be right and not have to modify it. I am learning there is never that perfect company that produces perfect parts out there. It can get close... so i would give them a 7 or 8 for price verses quality verses having to modify some things...

SPEARtech wiring harness...
Ill tell you what... $700 well worth the money .. everything labeled , self expanatory, shipped before quoted time. called halfway thru the estimated time to tell me it was on schedule.... in all PERFECT.... I will 100% do buisness with them again.....

TUNING
jeremy formato mail order base tune.. I sent him my PCM along with all of my specs. i recieved my pcm 1 week later.
My car along with the wiring fired up on the first try on the secoind crank of the motor. still with vacuum leaks and not having a sealed intake pipe... I will be getting him to tune my car early nexct month when he flys up here... fasterproms.com ( i think) ..
So far so good i would give him 10

Cabin Creek Specialties
they are my DSE parts dealer and advise 1st gen friends... built my rear for me... great group of guys ( brad and shane )

The rod shop in york pa.
Jake has gone an outstanding job helping me pull this car together. Did all of my custom brake lines and helps wire the car and alot of things here and there.....

Nitrous outlet....
Great customer service so far.... i am hoping the kit performs the way it is put out there.

There is a local shop that I could careless for now and if someone wants me to pm them i could tell the situation....

OVERALL

- TAKE YOUR TIME RESEARCHING PARTS.... it will save you in the long run
- read what other have done... it helps in comparasion
- listen to TSNOW... just do it
- you get what you pay for... that can be a good and bad thing..
- Take your time if you have questions ask... no question is stupid.

hope this helps some others.... i can get into detail on the other pros and cons but this is alot and im sure i am forgetting alot of stuff..... again hope this helps....

Last edited by game-over; 03-24-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: game-over's 69 lsx 1/1/13 new pics (UPDATE) pg.10