Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox body...AJE users...Steering shaft ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fox body...AJE users...Steering shaft ?

Doing a 88' GT with a LQ4. I've got a AJE K member and Dynatech swap headers. The car has the stock steering shaft (from column to rag joint)

It hits the back primary tube of the headers and won't work. What are you guys using? This is the only issue I've ran into with the swap.

TIA
Old 01-29-2012, 09:42 PM
9 Second Club

I had to dent the header and loosen the steering wheel support bracket to move the steering wheel over a tad. You have a little adjustment in the motor mounts, too. It's tight but will work.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've read a lot on here that the older fox body headers were being shipped out SN95 headers instead (94+ cars). I guess dynatech came out with a corrected header for this and was exchanging them out. I don't know the details, you might want to do a search or contact them.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PM sent, i ended up buying a maximum motorsports shaft.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:42 AM
9 Second Club

Ok, I bought the headers used off the board. Don't have a nick or ding in them. I just noticed on Dynatech's site it says, to be used with aftermarket steering shaft.

However, I guess I need to call them. Mine have a different part # than either 2 they have listed on their site.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Ok I am not the only one then. I posted a different thread but no one had any input. Does it look like this?

I know the column slides in and out, I pushed it back some I think it can go more and maybe it will clear then. Definitely need the flaming river steering shaft as the rag joint prevents the shaft from even sliding on the rack when the motor is shifted all the way towards drivers side.

Also any info on how to move the steering wheel over for clearance? I am assuming this is what someone meant by the column can be moved left and right some.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Launching!

I am not using dyna tech headers, but the kooks, I found the flaming river shaft worked for me.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Custom shaft here with dirt track joints.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:08 PM
9 Second Club

Any pics of the custom dirt track shaft?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 PM
9 Second Club

Here's what mine looks like.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Oh yeah. You have the sn95 headers. The drivers side is different than the ones for a fox, as you can see mine go out and around the steering shaft. I have read about people calling dynatech and they took care of the problem for them, but I am not sure if they will do it since you bought them off of someone.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by butler
I had to dent the header and loosen the steering wheel support bracket to move the steering wheel over a tad. You have a little adjustment in the motor mounts, too. It's tight but will work.
How do you move the steering wheel over? This pushes the column over left and right I would take it? I read of other people doing this but was not sure on how to do it. Where is the support bracket and is it made so the steering wheel can be adjusted left and right?

Originally Posted by itsslow98
PM sent, i ended up buying a maximum motorsports shaft.
Is this the telescoping one that you got? Are the u joints smaller on this than the stock shaft?

Also did you guys pull your column out or push it in at all for clearances? I know I can get the stock shaft to clear the back primary if its pushed in close to the firewall, but its about 2 inches too short.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the telescoping one, and to be honest im not sure where i had the column as far as length, i just had to keep messing with it until it fit. The telescoping shaft was a lifesaver for sure though. It is about half the size or less then the stock rag joint.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I got the telescoping one, and to be honest im not sure where i had the column as far as length, i just had to keep messing with it until it fit. The telescoping shaft was a lifesaver for sure though. It is about half the size or less then the stock rag joint.
Alright sweet. I guess I will be getting this then. Do you know if the top ujoint is smaller than on the stock one as well? Its just like my column comes out right into the primary so I have to push it way back to get the shaft to slide in.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Teching In

The steering shaft stub that protrudes through the firewall can be moved out away from the headers by loosening the 4 nuts that hold the steering column in under the dash. You can also pull that stub out towards the front of the car thereby lengthening it which will also give you a little more header clearance. I'd spray it down under the dash with some wd40 then put a long screw driver through the bolt hole and pull it. You can usually get them to pull out 1/2 inch or so.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by streetknight2
Any pics of the custom dirt track shaft?
Actually got the joints from a buggy site I think, just like something you would get from Jerry Bickel but for less monies

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry it took a bit. And don't know if it would help but I've got some brand new kooks ss fox/ls headers for sale...
Old 02-08-2012, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^I like that setup.

Quick Reply: Fox body...AJE users...Steering shaft ?