Sponsored by:

1971 rs camaro 6.0 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Nice car and truck.

Will you have to modify the tunnel to get the T56 in? I thought I saw a second gen somewhere and they had to. Unlike the autos and four speeds, T-56's are tall for a longer stretch.

No i will not have to modify anything i got a complete kit from American powertrain for a sec gen basically they use a t56 magnum which is a little different than the normal t56 its a sweet deal comes with console plate and all direct bolt in was gonna use a 6speed from fbody until i read that tunnel had to be cut and by the time i put everything together wasnt that much more to just buy the kit
Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have the gaskets between the water pump and block? If not they add close to an 1/8" of clearance. Concerning the windage tray, IIRC you will need to buy an F-body specific tray for it to fit. The headers look great! The T56 should fit fine even with standard GM production model. The LS6 valley cover is worth the money! If you look back through my thread an look at the amount of oil the stock valve cover baffling allowed to enter my intake tract you will see the need. The LS6 valley cover pulls the pressure out of the crankcase from an optimal position. It also cleans up the amount of rubber hose laying around the intake for a cleaner install.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Did you have the gaskets between the water pump and block? If not they add close to an 1/8" of clearance. Concerning the windage tray, IIRC you will need to buy an F-body specific tray for it to fit. The headers look great! The T56 should fit fine even with standard GM production model. The LS6 valley cover is worth the money! If you look back through my thread an look at the amount of oil the stock valve cover baffling allowed to enter my intake tract you will see the need. The LS6 valley cover pulls the pressure out of the crankcase from an optimal position. It also cleans up the amount of rubber hose laying around the intake for a cleaner install.
As far as water pump no gaskets are not on there, I ordered the valley cover do I need the PCV Tube or is there a way around this? I know I'm prolly being a tight *** lol what started out as a quick swap is costing a fortune I found windage tray already kinda figured I was gonna have to have it
Old 11-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Thats a good looking camaro u got there, good luck with the swap
Old 11-24-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

You will simply come off of the LS6 valley cover straight to the intake behind the throttle body and one hose from the top of the throttle body to the passenger valve cover. You will need to block off the drivers side valve cover where the PCV once resided.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by weircc
No i will not have to modify anything i got a complete kit from American powertrain for a sec gen basically they use a t56 magnum which is a little different than the normal t56 its a sweet deal comes with console plate and all direct bolt in was gonna use a 6speed from fbody until i read that tunnel had to be cut and by the time i put everything together wasnt that much more to just buy the kit
Cool. I knew there were slight differences but I didn't know the magnum would fit without cutting. I know I need to move a lot of metal on my Impala to get one in. Maybe the car I saw was a first gen...

Richmond eh, we're nearly neighbors (by internet standards). I want to see this monster at a show when it's finished.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:47 AM
On The Tree

Looking good so far. I am doing the exact same swap in my 1970 Camaro, except I am using a regular T56. I switched my 6.0 front accessories over to fbody simply trying to make most parts I put on motor to be from 1 model. I went with 243 heads (64cc chambers) and the LS6 intake. I am gonna run my normal pcv in the drivers valve cover, and a breather in the pass side. You can also install a oil catch can on the pcv line to catch any stray oil. I am leaning towards the Kooks headers. I also used the car shop mounts, and like you everything dropped into place. I am putting my motor in this week for the final time, followed by the trans this weekend. Here are a couple pics of my motor so far.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is my car before the swap began
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

Nice looking swap
Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Cool. I knew there were slight differences but I didn't know the magnum would fit without cutting. I know I need to move a lot of metal on my Impala to get one in. Maybe the car I saw was a first gen...

Richmond eh, we're nearly neighbors (by internet standards). I want to see this monster at a show when it's finished.
yea thats the plan some car shows if this thing ever quits eating my bank account lol
Old 11-27-2012, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1970 LSCamaro
Looking good so far. I am doing the exact same swap in my 1970 Camaro, except I am using a regular T56. I switched my 6.0 front accessories over to fbody simply trying to make most parts I put on motor to be from 1 model. I went with 243 heads (64cc chambers) and the LS6 intake. I am gonna run my normal pcv in the drivers valve cover, and a breather in the pass side. You can also install a oil catch can on the pcv line to catch any stray oil. I am leaning towards the Kooks headers. I also used the car shop mounts, and like you everything dropped into place. I am putting my motor in this week for the final time, followed by the trans this weekend. Here are a couple pics of my motor so far.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is my car before the swap began
[IMG][/IMG]

motor looks killer so does the car. i read your build thread over on the nasty site last weekend you have great attention to detail, ill be watching to see how it goes. as for me im a long ways just ordered cam from eps 226-234 hes three weeks out so ill be about a month before i can get everything finished up and bolted back in for good. but that gives me time to do some work on firewall and underneath its looking a little rough.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Well ups came and seen me check out what he brought

I bolted everything in and I gotta say went pretty smooth, however I'm a bit concerned about the degree of motor

Last edited by weircc; 12-10-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:04 AM
TECH Addict

Ideally you want a negative 3-5 degrees. Do you have an angle finder? Harbor Freight has them for like $5 if not.

Transmission looks killer! So does the shifter.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:42 AM
On The Tree

You are like me....mine is tilted back more than I would like (I don't have a angle tool) and really don't know what to do about it. Let me know if you come up with something.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

if a have too i might try big block stands pretty sure they are shorter and should drop front of motor down
Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Look up a member on LS1tech that goes by GC99TA. His name is Gary and he put together a nice 70-73 Camaro. He might can help with the placement of the engine.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Not much going on been waiting on cam to come in but I did get degree checked on motor its sitting at 5 1/2 is this ok?.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

5 1/2* is a little much but should be fine. As long as it doesn't cause you any issues with exhaust, and clearance with other components you should be fine.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Im thinking once i change out big block springs and get everything bolted up should drop to about 4 i hope

Quick Reply: 1971 rs camaro 6.0 swap