Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6-rib pulley on an F-body A/C compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 6-rib pulley on an F-body A/C compressor?

Can I put a 6-rib pulley on a stock LS1 F-body A/C compressor?

The only A/C compressor I can find to fit my application is the F-body A/C compressor. The other compressors seems to be too deep, in that the back of the compressor interferes with my SBC-to-LS1 motor mount plates. I haven't tried the Corvette A/C compressor, but I think it will be too deep. I have tried the CTS-V LSA compressor and it is way too deep.

Anyway, I was hoping that I could swap the stock 4-rib pulley for a 6-rib pulley and run the compressor off of the main 6-rib accessory belt. This would require me to either shim the pulley forward a little bit, or if that is not possible, I can fill and retap the compressor mount holes to move the compressor forward a little bit.

I know there are a lot of stock applications that run 6-rib A/C belts, mostly on FWD cars. Any thoughts about how to swap in a 6-rib pulley, clutch, etc?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

To answer my own question, I have been told that clutch assemblies with other V7 compressors will fit on the F-body V7 compressor. It looks like the 3.5L Oldsmobile Intrigue and the 4-cylinder 1998-2003 Chevy S-10 both have V7 compressors with 6-rib clutch assemblies that should fit.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, so here is a stupid question only because I have never tried... How the heck do you get the pulley off without destroying the unit? I have a spare with a bad pulley...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

From what I understand, you need a special puller that can be rented or borrowed at some auto parts stores. If I were doing it, I'd probably take it to a shop that does A/C work and pay a couple bucks to have someone do it is experienced and won't mess it up!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a kit to pull a/c clutches/pulleys off. Its not that hard at all. You take the nut off of the center, attach the puller, and pull it off. The only snag you might run into is if your shaft/nut is really rusted. So I would take the spare you have, lube the heck out of it with PB blaster or equivalent, let it sit for a while and try it. IIRC you can get the pullers cheap through harbor freight, etc. But be careful, they are not the best quality. Eric L
Old 03-09-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting... so there is actually a tool I may benefit to rent because I would only use it twice. Noted, thanks.

Quick Reply: 6-rib pulley on an F-body A/C compressor?