Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

351/t5 foxbody soon to be turbo/6.0/4l80e

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 351/t5 foxbody swapped to ls1 for now

i'll post the basics right now of the car. its an 89 4 cylinder car. i bought it about 5 years ago as a swapped car. had a 306 that wasnt ready to run yet and had an aod with a stock rear axle. because of unfortunate events i lost my 91 5.0/aod/3.55 geard fox coupe. i pulled the axle out and swapped into this car. soon picked up a 351 and went to work. i've changed the cam twice so far, intake twice, heads twice and finally where i wanted to be with the 351. i've done all the work on this car except lay the paint. just one thing i dont do. not because i cant but because i dont have the shop for it.

a month or two ago i came upon an lq4 burn engine for $350 shipped to my door from ILL. heads and shortblock are in good shape. needs bored and new pistons but otherwise in great shape. 60k mile motor. only reason i need to bore it is because someone let water sit in the cylinder. i plan to bore it .030 and install forged pistons, rod bolts, head studs, port the 317 heads. i already ordered an ls2 intake with fuel rails. got a steal on an ls2 cam and springs. heres a few pics of the car and where it began and where its at now.

where it was at last winter

after sitting for awhile and after paint. it is sonic blue

today. sorry my camera sucks

05 lq4

cleaned a valve cover up. they are now primed and ready for paint

4l80e recently rebuilt with a shiftkit. will take it down and wash the case to have it cleaner looking

Last edited by GREAT WHITE SS; 10-13-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

IfI already had a 351 in my fox, i woulda just put a turbo on it and called it good. Love the sonic color. Im sorry but I love the sound of a cammed 351 with an Hpipe. I dont know if its fords firing order or what but LS motors dont have that sound, no matter what you do to them. BUT it will be fatser for cheaper with the LS, thats why i am doing it.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Teching In

interior was tan/black. now almost all black except seats

headswap on the 351

primed covers

before hood painted and before slicks

the middle of rust repair and undercoating

dash painted with dupont interior paint. (the better of all interior paints)

how it was last fall when i finally got it back and rolling around (wasnt driveable yet)

heres what happened to my 91. 3 car pile up. not my fault
Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by johnyrrr
IfI already had a 351 in my fox, i woulda just put a turbo on it and called it good. Love the sonic color. Im sorry but I love the sound of a cammed 351 with an Hpipe. I dont know if its fords firing order or what but LS motors dont have that sound, no matter what you do to them. BUT it will be fatser for cheaper with the LS, thats why i am doing it.
it has cast aluminum pistons. i want a sleeper too. rather not put the 351 back to sleeper mode. i will agree about the cammed 351. so hot. and your last part is the exact reason im doing the lq swap. i want calm sounding and better gas mileage. plus i got a steal on it and the transmission.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Teching In

It has begun

Old 03-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Teching In

On the way

Old 03-16-2012, 02:33 AM
Teching In

can any of you ls smart guys help me plan a few things on this build? what i have so far is... i know what rearend i am using, i already have the rebuilt 4l80e, and the engine. i dont want to spend more than is needed so i want to do it right the first time. I have the 05 lq4 that i plan to bore out to 370 with forged pistons, arp head bolts, arp rod bolts, ls2 intake, ls2 cam. I want opinions on a few things.

What turbo? i want to hit ATLEAST 500rwhp, i would love if it's capable of hitting 600rwhp but i would settle for 500.

What fuel pump? i already have a sumped stock tank. i do want e85

Will a stock ls2 throttle body and non ported ls2 intake hit my mark?

Opinions on porting the stock 317 heads, i dont want to spend alot of money here.

A decent electronic boost controller to have boost by mph.

I'm sure i will have a few more questions later.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 03:51 AM
Teching In

I am getting ready to build a 91 notch right now with a 5.3 lm7 t76 turbo and a 4l80e... I am kinda new to the LS right now but have a bunch of friends that live and breathe these motors. I hope someone else replies to back me up or shoot me down on this. 600 rwhp out of a turbo 6.0 will be easily reached with no porting on heads or intake. Make sure you have good valve springs for boost such as patriot golds or similar. I may be wrong but I think the LS2 cam sensor is on the timing cover as to a LQ4 is in the rear of the block, so a different timing cover and extension on harness will have to be used to use that LS2 cam. Aeromotive A1000 pump should cover your fuel or something along the lines of a 525 Magnafuel Inline. A stock throttle body will reach your power goals. I think a T4 flanged setup with truck manifolds and a 70mm or 76mm will be plenty for your goals as well.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:57 AM
Teching In

I also forgot to mention that if you use ARP rod bolts with the stock rods, have them honed at a maching shop to true the rod up. Many people on the net are installing the rod bolts and spinning rod bearings soon after.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by whittmotorsports
I am getting ready to build a 91 notch right now with a 5.3 lm7 t76 turbo and a 4l80e... I am kinda new to the LS right now but have a bunch of friends that live and breathe these motors. I hope someone else replies to back me up or shoot me down on this. 600 rwhp out of a turbo 6.0 will be easily reached with no porting on heads or intake. Make sure you have good valve springs for boost such as patriot golds or similar. I may be wrong but I think the LS2 cam sensor is on the timing cover as to a LQ4 is in the rear of the block, so a different timing cover and extension on harness will have to be used to use that LS2 cam. Aeromotive A1000 pump should cover your fuel or something along the lines of a 525 Magnafuel Inline. A stock throttle body will reach your power goals. I think a T4 flanged setup with truck manifolds and a 70mm or 76mm will be plenty for your goals as well.
Originally Posted by whittmotorsports
I also forgot to mention that if you use ARP rod bolts with the stock rods, have them honed at a maching shop to true the rod up. Many people on the net are installing the rod bolts and spinning rod bearings soon after.
Thanks alot for all the info. Everything you said is about on par with my ideas i had. a1000, 76mm or similar, truck manifolds like i have, stock tb.

glad to know about the rod bolts. ill make sure and ask my machine shop about that.

I'm not sure on the harness deal with the cam sensor, i had planned to run an ls2 harness since i dont have any harness as of now and will need to do research on running it with the 4l80.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Teching In

If u use ls2 harness with drive by wire throttle, I think all you need is the LS2 front cover with the cam sensor in it. I am using a 02 camaro stand alone harness.. Search 4L60E to 4L80E wiring swap on performance trucks.. It shows you a real easy way to repin 2 wires and add 2 wires to run the 80e on a 60e harness and computer
Old 03-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Teching In

thanks for the tip about the performance truck forum search, i ended up purchasing a truck pcm/harness and i will have to get injector adapters i believe but that's no big deal. at least i know all the plug ins will be in the correct places.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Teching In

I know I haven't updated this album in a long long time. I've been busy with the academy and also dont get paid enough at my current job to do anything special. Well that is going to change in November thank god.

this is a long time ago when i tore the 6.0 down to get ready for machine work. took it to the machine shop. the machinist ordered pistons. once they arrived he tried them but they did not work on the stock lq4 rods. something to do with the wrist pin size. so i changed my mind. i am going to stroke it out. already sold the crank out of it and sent the pistons back.

rod bolts and main studs for the 6.0 block. still in packaging saving for the stroker

kmember arrived

picking up my dads 5.3. he also has a foxbody coupe. his is a 91. he will have a stock 5.3/4l60e combo with 3.55 gears in the rear on my current draglite setup. instead of the 10" wide rears he will run a 8" wide.

subframe connectors arrived for my car.

dads 5.3 stripped down and ready to wash

after the wash. used multiple different cleaners and still wasnt perfect

after i spent some time hand cleaning the intake valley

just a neat picture i took

kmember in.

dads 5.3 in my car just for test fit. i was planning on running his combo just to get it ready until he can afford the kmember and parts needed for his swap.

my stock kmember out. ton of weight loss.

rolled my coupe out to wash up. liked the pics of it where its at.

i like working on the small details. cleaned up dads coils and brackets. tooth brush, wire brush, and scotch bright

his once they were cleaned on one side

old vs new
Old 10-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Teching In

and yes i changed out the one coil that was broke. picked one up free from a buddy
Old 10-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Teching In

the stock mustang throttle cable worked when i bolted the ls1 throttle body onto the truck intake. the ls1 tb has a smaller cruise control connector that is needed to fit into the 5.0 cable. due to the length from the end of the cable and the bracket on the stock 5.3 intake i had to adjust the lm7 cable bracket

completely welded. works perfect, goes w.o.t. and closes perfect

didn't want to occupy my dads lift so i put the subframe connectors on while up on jackstands

primed

painted

tb cable bracket all finished

fbody pan and misc parts ordered

just something i picked up for my car

random picture. yeah i made a mistake and had to do a few pushups in the academy. you can guarantee i didn't make that mistake again

awesome pic a lady captured

had to help a friend with is cobra on a head gasket swap. yeah you have to pull the whole engine. did it at his house with barely any tools. sucked big time. weird thing is it went in easier then it came out

better picture of what he has goin on. damn car RUNS. kb cobra makin 600+hp. he said i could drive it but i would rather not. just like i wont hold anyone elses kid. not going to hurt/break something thats not mine.

came across a deal. buddy wrecked his 04 gto and wanted to part it out. he sold the body, pulled the engine and trans, put the engine into the new 04 he bought because his had a cam in it. i bought the motor out of his new car and already sold a few parts off of it.

smashed

got the valve covers dipped

random pic of dads motor with the truck waterpump. put the mustang radiator in and the truck hose works on top.

picked up another deal. buddy of mine wrecked his ls swapped fox. sold me the body without the engine/trans setup. going to give the kmember to my dad and put the 5 lug swap on my car. 10 minutes from their shop we had a blowout on the trailer. got it patched up and got him safely.

fbody pan on my ls1.

engine in. everything mocked up waiting on parts. have it pull it back up because i forgot it had a broken off exhaust manifold bolt

ordered borgeson kit and will have power steering

trans cooler, intake couplers, header flanges, and gaskets showed up

air aid u build it 4" kit
Old 02-16-2014, 02:17 AM
dig
Staging Lane

nice build, updates?

Quick Reply: 351/t5 foxbody soon to be turbo/6.0/4l80e