Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LY6 with 6L90E in 72 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goldhawg,
I think you need the factory sender because there is a high and a low pressure limit for when the VVT is enabled or disabled. I'm not positive on this but it seems that I remember seeing it in one of the tables in HP Tuners. I ended up taking the valley plate off, putting my factory sender back in the same location and then I drilled and tapped a hole into the side of the boss where the factory sender screws into for my speedhut sender. The hole I drilled was at an angle just for the reason that I don't have much firewall clearance. I don't have any pictures of it but I could take a couple if you'd like.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"then I drilled and tapped a hole into the side of the boss where the factory sender screws into for my speedhut sender. The hole I drilled was at an angle just for the reason that I don't have much firewall clearance. I don't have any pictures of it but I could take a couple if you'd like."

Yes, post pictures. I will be fighting this issue down the road with my L92 with VVT. Need to know where to put the after market sending unit. I was thinking of the plate by the oil filter.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

These are the only pics I could get without taking everything apart. Hope they help! https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1341423609
Attached Thumbnails LY6 with 6L90E in 72 Chevelle-7-4-2012-oil-pressure-senders-1-.jpg   LY6 with 6L90E in 72 Chevelle-7-4-2012-oil-pressure-senders-2-.jpg  

Last edited by RJComins; 12-06-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Sorry fellas, been on vacation. Yeah Goldhawg, it works just like how RJ was saying. Rj, I can send you a copy of my program when I get home today if you still need it.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RJComins
These are the only pics I could get without taking everything apart. Hope they help! https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1341423609
Hard for me to see what is going on in the pictures. Is that a tee fitting with both oil sending units attached in the stock location?
Old 07-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bhop42
Sorry fellas, been on vacation. Yeah Goldhawg, it works just like how RJ was saying. Rj, I can send you a copy of my program when I get home today if you still need it.
That would be great if you'd send me a copy of your program!

1989GTA-There's no tee, just the stock valley cover with the stock sender screwed in where it should be then I drilled and tapped in the "stub up" (just under the threads of the stock sender) to fit my speedhut sender. I could take some pics of my spare valley cover and draw on it with a marker if that'll help? Let me know.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Thats fine, I see what you did. I am keeping my VVT so I will need to keep the factory oil sending unit. Looking for a location for a oil sending unit for my oil pressure guage. Right now I am thinking above the oil filter unit where the block off plate is for the second location.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Default First official road trip

I got the car out this past week and took it to work a few days trying to work some suspension bugs out of it and I was a little heavy on the pedal recording only 15.7 mpg. Got the front end straightened out and drove it a little easier on Saturday to and from a show/swap meet here in WI. My 7-year old and I had a great time cruising there and back with the windows closed, a/c on and a scooby doo video in the dvd player. We had a little fun passing about 8-10 cars total but still ended up with an average of 21.7mpg. I can live with that!!!
This was the first car show I've been to with it and it was pretty cool to see the attention that the LS swaps get especially because mine was the only one there. We pulled up, I got out and opened the hood and proceeded to move some things from the front to the trunk and it was like I was swarmed with questions almost immediately! The car looks good with the ghost flames but I've never gotten that kind of attention from it. My son was actually getting frustrated with me because I was standing there talking with everyone and he was waiting to go look at all there was to see. Finally he just said "Dad, when can we go look at the hot rods?" So I had to cut some people short and we went for a walk. All in all it was a good day for both of us and I'm glad that I was able to share that with him.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, the MPG is just icing on the cake!

What rear gears are you running? I stepped down from 3.73's to 3.31's because I didn't like the highway revs.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 AM
Staging Lane

I am running 3.73's with a 26.7" tire. It's about 1950 rpm's @ 60-62. What are you running with the 3.31's? RPM's and MPG's?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

26.5" tires, 3.73's, .75 OD (4L80) was turning ~2300 @ 60mph. When traffic opens up around here can run 70-75 which is ~2700rpm.

3.31's it's now around 2k @ 60mph

Don't have any MPG data but it's way better than the 403 Olds it replaced.

6L90's 2nd OD is nice. If a 4L80 wasn't already in the car I would probably have gone the same route you did.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Default Going back a few steps

After I had gotten the car running it seemed to have a little bit of a misfire and I chased it quite a bit by changing all of the coils with a vehicle that was running perfectly, cleaned and purged all of the injectors and also I changed the plugs and wires. Took it for a ride after every variable and to no avail. After riding around and watching the charts in HPT, I noticed that the problem was occuring only when I was at light to moderate throttle and the timing dipped way down into the negatives. So I found a tuner here in GB and told him about it and set up an appt to get the car dyno tuned. When we were talking, I was telling him about all of my components and he stopped me when I told him what maf I was running because he didn't know the compatibility with that. He sold me a truck maf with an aluminum bung "just to make things right" so I went home, got it welded in my intake tube and wouldn't you know, my timing issues disappeared! So now the car is running much better but I still look forward to seeing the dyno #'s and what the improvements will be tomorrow.

One thing I wanted to let people know is a question I had earlier in the thread and it was answered by Bart @ C4 was about finding the VSS signal on a 6L90. The wire you need to use for your speedo is pin 16 from the trans which is an orange/black going to pin 71 on your e38 ecm which is referred to as the TOS (Transmission Output Signal). Hooked it up and programmed my speedhut speedo by driving the required 2 miles and it works great! No more 158mph!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the good info. Couple of questions. So did you wind up using the card style MAF. That is what I plan on using on my build which is a L92/6L80E. Also I plan on using 4" aluminum tubing with a thermal barrier coating inside and out.

Regarding the VSS signal. I had planned on using pin 57 on the E38 ECM and have even added the Yellow/Black wire to run up to the speedometer. So did you just tie into the Orange/Black wire from pin 16 of the transmission connector? When I get the E38 ECM reflashed by TSP I was going to have them activate pin 57 if it is not already so I can pick up the VSS signal at that point.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Default Speedo

Yes, that is all I did. Tied into the orange/black from the trans @ the ecm and everything was good.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Thanks for the good info. Couple of questions. So did you wind up using the card style MAF. That is what I plan on using on my build which is a L92/6L80E. Also I plan on using 4" aluminum tubing with a thermal barrier coating inside and out.

Regarding the VSS signal. I had planned on using pin 57 on the E38 ECM and have even added the Yellow/Black wire to run up to the speedometer. So did you just tie into the Orange/Black wire from pin 16 of the transmission connector? When I get the E38 ECM reflashed by TSP I was going to have them activate pin 57 if it is not already so I can pick up the VSS signal at that point.
Hey RJ, you message me(Wicked) on the HP Tuners forums.
I checked and also found pin 57. But this is from the ABS/Stability system TO the ECU not FROM the ecu to the ABS/Stabi. I work with ABS/VSA systems at my normal job(Honda engineer) and all of our VSA systems output the VSS signal to the rest of the vehicle systems(slide door controller, engine, rear diff controller, etc). The VSS is a vehicle speed reference calculated from the four wheel speed sensors. You have to have this to know when the wheel are spinning, something the trans speed output can't tell you. So pin 57 should not work as an output for your speedo.
I open to being wrong just telling you what I think to be the truth.

A vehicle speed signal is sent from the trans to the ecu via the CAN lines as thats what i use when using my laptop. But I don't think the signal is separate in the harness wiring.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

"But I don't think the signal is separate in the harness wiring"

It is separate in this instance. It runs from pin 16 on the 6L80E connector to pin X1-71 on the E38 ECM. On my schematic it says "replicated TOS signal" for 2WD.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

BelAir,
I believe that you're correct that it does send the vss via the can bus but in this case "1989GTA" is also correct in saying that pin 16 from the TCM is a replicated trans output signal. Either way, it works for my speedo which corresponds with my laptop so I'm happy.
Thanks for the concern and the info!

I am now using the card style maf which doesn't seem to be reading anything as far as flow. The IAT reading is about 20 degrees high all the time and I have power and ground but I have no air flow reading on my laptop. I'm hoping it's just a bad maf. I guess we'll see this afternoon. I feel like a kid at Christmas time! Now all I have to do is make it through the day at work before I get to the tuner.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
"But I don't think the signal is separate in the harness wiring"

It is separate in this instance. It runs from pin 16 on the 6L80E connector to pin X1-71 on the E38 ECM. On my schematic it says "replicated TOS signal" for 2WD.
My diagram just shows TOS....which honestly I didn't know what that meant. I thought it was Tap to Shift related maybe.

Thanks for the clarification. Good news.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BelAir1000
My diagram just shows TOS....which honestly I didn't know what that meant. I thought it was Tap to Shift related maybe.

Thanks for the clarification. Good news.
The TU/TD signal is Pin 7 on the transmission connector. I added a purple wire to it and will run it into the dash area for future hook up. Just need to figure out how the TU/TD is wired and the resistors used. I have not had much success on that front yet.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

I could be wrong, but I thought the BCM was needed for the TU/TD function?
Anyways, attached are my dyno #'s from Wednesday afternoon.
The car wasn't running properly on the MAF I had installed originally and the one that replaced it was bad. When I got to the tuner, we got everything situated and the car ran extremely better. The first pull was 309hp and 312ft.lbs @ the wheels. It was vastly improved on from there. For a stock motor with long tubes and a different intake I'm happy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DOC.pdf (106.7 KB, 274 views)

Quick Reply: LY6 with 6L90E in 72 Chevelle