Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Z06 power steering pump in 69 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Z06 power steering pump in 69 Chevelle

Just wondering. Is a 2002 Z06 Corvette power steering pump compatible with a stock 69 Chevelle steering box? Why I ask is because ever since I installed the LS6 and power steering pump, the steering has been an issue. I'm wondering if the pump is producing too much pressure or not enough?????? HELP.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does it feel like you are driving the Queen Mary? No steering feel? I had the same issue with a later Camaro pump. I think I have it sorted out now. Search the site for a thread about altering the line pressure. You will need to remove the regulator from the pump and add a couple of small shims. Be careful on the OD of the shim so you don't hang on the spring and run into the issue I created for myself. This is a pretty simple mod, takes less than an hour.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had Lock Up during steering when the engine/pump was increasing. I put a stock OEM power steering cooler in the return line from a 02' Z28 and they went away.

The newer pump are a few hundred PSI higher that you older pump. IMO both the increase and heat caused my issue, possibly yours too. So as Old Goat said, research into the pressure and try a cooler on the return line.

BC
Old 03-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
Does it feel like you are driving the Queen Mary? No steering feel? I had the same issue with a later Camaro pump. I think I have it sorted out now. Search the site for a thread about altering the line pressure. You will need to remove the regulator from the pump and add a couple of small shims. Be careful on the OD of the shim so you don't hang on the spring and run into the issue I created for myself. This is a pretty simple mod, takes less than an hour.
Not having any luck finding a thread on pressure regulation. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look at this http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...rsteering.html . It shows exactly what to do. Again a word of caution on the OD of the shims you use.

Quick Reply: 2002 Z06 power steering pump in 69 Chevelle