TECH Junkie

Received 467 Likes on 351 Posts

Good for a chuckle this morning....
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

I think there are legitimate use cases for choosing a Chevy SB, LS, LT or BB engine over another and it sure is nice living at a time when parts are abundant for all of them.
The following 3 users liked this post by Toddoky:
5.3Caprice (08-18-2020), G Atsma (08-05-2020), Shirey97 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I figured I'd give my 2 cents worth, (usually worth less than 2 cents)
been a tech for the last 20 or so years and worked on old sbc and newer ls engines and in my opinion i steer towards the ls for the fact i have never liked playing with carbs, set it and forget it with efi

Have a 93 c1500 with 350 tbi with almost 400,000 km, 70 442 with carb 455 (looking to convert to mefi)
i work on a number of classic cars all carb jobs (bbc, sbc) all work really nicely regardless of weather conditions, all are not stock but are well thought out combos that use well matched parts and tuned properly when built, so they are very drivable on the street

One of these cars doesn't seem to make any sense to me
67 firebird with bbc, blower, dual holley 4bbl carbs
This car was built about 15 years ago and works very good on the street (700ish hp).
In spring all you have to do is turn on ignition to build fuel pressure, pump twice, and fires up !! Let it warm up 10 mins and drive,
hasn't been touched tuning wise since built, just regular maintenance stuff

I say go with what you are comfortable with working on, as you are the one working on it! But definitely consider efi, especially since the retro-fit systems are getting better and better and more refined

Thanks!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Creekin:
G Atsma (08-09-2020), Shirey97 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Creekin
been a tech for the last 20 or so years and worked on old sbc and newer ls engines and in my opinion i steer towards the ls for the fact i have never liked playing with carbs, set it and forget it with efi

Have a 93 c1500 with 350 tbi with almost 400,000 km, 70 442 with carb 455 (looking to convert to mefi)
i work on a number of classic cars all carb jobs (bbc, sbc) all work really nicely regardless of weather conditions, all are not stock but are well thought out combos that use well matched parts and tuned properly when built, so they are very drivable on the street

This car was built about 15 years ago and works very good on the street (700ish hp).
In spring all you have to do is turn on ignition to build fuel pressure, pump twice, and fires up !! Let it warm up 10 mins and drive,

I say go with what you are comfortable with working on, as you are the one working on it! But definitely consider efi, especially since the retro-fit systems are getting better and better and more refined

Thanks!!
hey I agree but aint a fact like ol boy ahead said "good for a chuckle" lol you guys an this precision stuff ain't facts but sounds good mean while all types of combos from the old old days still win. So don't say your computer motors are perfect far fetched! When facts are anything can win when built right. But modern days have alot of championships to catch up on if you ask me and LS will never be in dirt, nascar, nhra etc we turn 9000 rpms and 850 hp N/a and I've had motors go two seasons...so whats perfection?
Old 08-17-2020, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Creekin

Thanks!!
I'm with ya by the way finally someone with some sense besides efi crap and carburated we tune carbs just fine most make more power which has obviously been proven and well mpg the same and some even better this topic is gettin old...**** is like politics and just look at us! Chevrolet fans going at each other! Consider efi if your not hands on and don't like to "build" and tune manually or get upset when you climb pikes peak. Again a briggs an Stratton lawn mower can be built idgaf honestly here for the OP pick your battle efi can flood, bog, hesitate, blow motors etc seen it a 1000 times **** happens our efi motors are nasty compared to our carbed motors. Do what your good at is my perspective as well its called knowledge not my opinion is better than yours

Last edited by Shirey97; 08-17-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:50 AM
TECH Junkie

"....hey I agree but aint a fact like ol boy ahead said "good for a chuckle" lol you guys an this precision stuff ain't facts but sounds good mean while all types of combos from the old old days still win..."

I have carbs and efi in the garage and can work on both. I prefer the efi. Oh, and punctuation.
G Atsma (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 07:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
"....hey I agree but aint a fact like ol boy ahead said "good for a chuckle" lol you guys an this precision stuff ain't facts but sounds good mean while all types of combos from the old old days still win..."

I have carbs and efi in the garage and can work on both. I prefer the efi. Oh, and punctuation.
C'mon Mike, ain't nobody got time for punctuation when you have a beer in one hand and a timing light in the other and are turning the idle set screws with your tooth....
Old 08-17-2020, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Another chuckle....thanks GTO.... In any event, I suspect we're about to hear about more NASCAR motors with 850+HP at 9000+ rpm. Which, by the way, have been using EFI since 2012.
G Atsma (08-17-2020)
Old 04-20-2022, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
You are going to get a lot of LS biased opinions here for sure. We are all drinking the kool-aid, but it is real good kool-aid! For a daily driver car or truck it is hard to beat the new EFI technology. rp0029 gave you a very good recipe. I have been driving my LS1 conversion for over 5 years now and just love it. As for torque, remember that most of the gas powered Chevy trucks for the last 10 years have been LS powered.

You don't need to be afraid of the EFI, it really is pretty simple and once you get it set up, you don't need to mess with it any more.

Pat
you can still add new technology to the SBC motors especially EFI systems and out the carb. So whats your point?
G Atsma (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,113 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Originally Posted by Montebandit85
You can still add new technology to the SBC motors, especially EFI systems and out the carb. So what's your point?
He made his point. He likes EFI no matter which engine it's on. He would agree with your statement above.
I'm answering for him as he hasn't been here for about 2 years
Old 04-20-2022, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can still add new technology to the SBC motors especially EFI systems and out the carb. So whats your point?
I miss trolls...keep going!

Andrew
The following 2 users liked this post by Project GatTagO:
99 Black Bird T/A (04-21-2022), G Atsma (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I love trolling, especially when you finally get a bite..
G Atsma (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma
He made his point. He likes EFI no matter which engine it's on. He would agree with your statement above.
I'm answering for him as he hasn't been here for about 2 years
ok. I just got in the chat and thought he was making the statement which everyone is in the hype of a LS motor is better. That's all. End of the day, it's preference for the most part.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I miss trolls...keep going!

Andrew
who, you miss trolling? Oh ok.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

who, you miss trolling? Oh ok.
Trolls are my favorite....
G Atsma (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

"As much low end torque as possible" is useless. Can't hook it. Can't use it. Trans will upshift anyway and put you right in the wheezy part of the power band that you declined to develop because you wanted "as much low end torque as possible".

People forget that gears make torque. You don't need a lot of engine torque down low to be snappy, need to think about torque at tire and how the whole drivetrain influences that. But gears won't make up for a lack of power after car is out of 1st gear - sorry. If you want more power then engine simply needs to make more power.

A "daily driver" does just as the name implies --- it drives. And you don't need much throttle input to just drive. A 6.0L LS engine makes enough low end torque to drive well (it's a 6.0L engine for gosh sakes). Put the peak of the torque curve at higher rpm's where it's going to run under heavy throttle and the outstanding LS cylinder heads will support it.
G Atsma (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

I'll take the bait.....How did I miss this thread or maybe I didn't and so old that I forgot about it?..either way Stock for stock the LS is a superior design and that should not even be in the discussion. You can make anything make power if you throw enough money at it. If you have an unlimited budget both can be made to make similar power. The beauty of the LS is the fact that you can make serious power with almost all stock OEM parts and you could never do that with a SBC, The stock SBC heads even ported (including vortec) can't compete with stock LS heads, The stock LS short block is stronger. The gasket sealing design is better, The intake being plastic and not passing coolant thru it is better. GM kept many of the traits that made the SBC better than the competition and transferred them to the LS platform and made it better at the same time.
Not so long ago you could have built a SBC and made more power per dollar than the LS but that's all but been eliminated. If you already have a bunch of money tied up into your current SBC then you would have a good reason to stick with it, If you are starting a build from scratch then the LS platform should be a no brainer.
The following 3 users liked this post by LLLosingit:
99 Black Bird T/A (04-21-2022), G Atsma (04-20-2022), ryeguy2006a (04-22-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

ok. I just got in the chat and thought he was making the statement which everyone is in the hype of a LS motor is better. That's all. End of the day, it's preference for the most part.
LoL! Definitely worth a good laugh 😃 😀 😄 😁

Love to see you crank 1,500+ hp out any stock bottom end SBC.

Definitely one of the most naive trolling comments made in a long time on the forum.

SBC are nice engines but time passed the SBC by design wise as LLL mentioned above stock vs stock.

One can build a nice SBC, for sure just needs practically every part replaced with an aftermarket part. I have a Dart SHP 400 in my 72 Vette that's pretty typical of that approach. With a opportunity to do over, I'd replace the Dart SHP 400 would be replaced in a heart with a tweaked LS7 of some sort.

In racing, its preference and budget as some folks still run Pontiac engines 😀

G Atsma (04-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,113 Likes on 2,428 Posts

If you need a SINGLE reason as to why the LS is FAR superior to the SBC, it is this - HEADS.
The very best OEM SBC head can barely do what the smallest LS head (the 706) can do.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 535 Likes on 397 Posts

my favorite part about sbcs is they always leak the perfect amount that you never need to change your oil since youre always cycling fresh oil in.

Quick Reply: Ls motors vs Early gen SBC