Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I can mount this A/C compressor with 2 bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Think I can mount this A/C compressor with 2 bolts?

I want to mount this A/C compressor in the stock low-mount location, however, my motor mount adapter plates and subframe interfere with the rear upper and rear lower compressor mounts. If I cut those mounts off the compressor, it looks like it will fit fine. So the question is... can I safely mount this compressor to the compressor bracket using only the front two bolts located on either side of the pulley?

I know a lot of GM compressors are mounted with 3 bolts - 2 by the pulley and 1 in the rear of the compressor, but I've never seen one mounted with just two bolts.

What do you think, and why?

BTW, this compressor is from a 2012 Express van.
Attached Thumbnails Think I can mount this A/C compressor with 2 bolts?-img_2524.jpg  

Last edited by FastKat; 04-13-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a close-up shot of one of the front mounts. They both seem pretty sturdy.
Attached Thumbnails Think I can mount this A/C compressor with 2 bolts?-img_2525.jpg  
Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

I don't think so. I think the back would want to swing away from the block when the belt tension is put on it. A/C compressors have to have a fair ammount of belt tension to keep them from squeeling the belt when first turned on or when head pressure gets high.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

I forgot about belt tension. It is a stretch-to-fit belt with no tensioner. On the bright side, the two mounting points are very close to the pulley, so the belt will have very little leverage working against the bolts.

I wish there was a way to anchor down the back of the compressor.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I am using the same compressor but from a Silverado. I plan to run the front two and the upper rear, cutting off the lower rear due to interference with my frame. I am using the OEM bracket which has a tensioner incorporated (not stretch-to-fit).

Here is the OEM silverado bracket which I notched to fit around my 1/2" setback Dougs adapeters:

Here's what it looks like almost mounted. I haven't trimmed the lower rear mounting boss off the compressor yet so it doesn't quite fit in my frame, but you get the idea.

I think running just two bolts may be asking for trouble. Are you running into interference issues?
Old 04-14-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

Clint,
What welder did you use to weld your frame notches? I just got my Millermatic 211MPV, I will be doing the pass. notch too. Any final wword/plans on you engine yet?

thanks,
Jim
Old 04-14-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I used a Millermatic 180 on 220v. Hoping to get away with cleanup of the block, light polish on the crank and new bearings, but haven't gotten too far with that yet. If the block needs honing it may snowball into a more elaborate build.

Quick Reply: Think I can mount this A/C compressor with 2 bolts?