Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 going into a 99 Dakota R/T

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone done a stroker or something more substantial? To do that kind of swap in my mind it would have to be substantially faster than what I have in order to be cost effective. I wonder how much more the LS platform has then my magnum for guy who just wants to run NA on a low maintenance hydr. Roller?
Old 06-27-2015, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onebaddakota
Has anyone done a stroker or something more substantial? To do that kind of swap in my mind it would have to be substantially faster than what I have in order to be cost effective. I wonder how much more the LS platform has then my magnum for guy who just wants to run NA on a low maintenance hydr. Roller?
Not really sure what you are asking. If you are wanting good horsepower that is reliable, my truck is a good model for that. My truck probably makes 320 rwhp with a bone-stock LY6. This is more than most heavily built Magnums can make. When you start trying to push Magnum motors to that level, they cost a lot to build, and generally don't last very long.

More substantial LS engines? This site is filled with them. A cam can push a 6.0 LS well over 400 rwhp. No Magnum can come close to that.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Sorry, allow me to clarify. I was looking for more of an apples to apples comparison.(truck to truck)You see a lot of good numbers run from the LS cars, but then you start thinking, ok is that because the're light and more aero with a tranny that soaks up less power then the power sapping trannies in the dodges? In other words, is it more the vehicle and drivetrain or is the magnum motor just that much of a turd?
Old 06-27-2015, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Mine runs pretty good. It's nothing special just your typical 4" Chinese crank motor with m1 and Eddie heads, mid length headers, full, exhaust, factory hydr roller set up. Stuff you're very familiar with from your magnum days. I obviously have money into it but not crazy money. I guess I don't want to put an LS into it and then be disappointed given what I have now. Unless of course it will be that much faster.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:35 AM
TECH Regular

I've have no regrets over my decision.

There is a night and day difference between the motors. If you already have a running Magnum motor that you like, I don't see the reason to pull it for an LS. It has almost no resale value, and the cost would be about $6-7K depending on the engine/trans combo you use.

But if you are wanting more power, you are on the slippery slope for the Magnum. I am guessing you are probably running high 14's with what you have. Bigger throttle body, porting the heads, cam, torque converter would be the next step. That would get you to about 14 seconds.

Any 6.0 litre combo with an LS should get you 13 seconds, like mine does, stock. Add cam, and you are in the 12's. There aren't that many Dakota trucks that make the 12's, even with a ton of work.

But I wouldn't ever build another Magnum after having done this. Not only do these engines make great horsepower at reasonable prices, there is a huge aftermarket of supports, and any combination you can imagine. And the serviceability of the engine in the chassis is better. I can reach and pull any part on this engine in minutes. Everything comes apart and goes back together easily.

Hope that helps.

Edit: added details.

Last edited by casias; 06-28-2015 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

LoL Casias....
When you start trying to push Magnum motors to that level, they cost a lot to build, and generally don't last very long.

How many years or miles or passes at what HP level does somebody need to put on a Magnum engine before you stop saying that?
Old 06-28-2015, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Again. LS website, hybrid/conversion thread. The question is about the difference between Magnum motors and LS motors.

I think the Magnum motor is not worth putting money into.

You do.

Edit: For those who don't know, the few people who love these motors have a secret website called racemagnum.com. Like children in a treehouse, they can talk about these motors in private. I think it requires a secret handshake or something to get in.

Their other site, dakotart.com, is complete garbage.

Last edited by casias; 06-28-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by casias
Again. LS website, hybrid/conversion thread. The question is about the difference between Magnum motors and LS motors.

I think the Magnum motor is not worth putting money into.

You do.
No, I completely understand. Your site. Your opinion. Your bias.

I just wanted to give you an opportunity to explain to the class why YOU think a Magnum can't hold up at higher HP levels.

Of course, you are entirely welcome to have your own opinion and state it as so. I just wanted to make sure you understood that you were basing your opinion on your one singular experience, and that it had nothing whatsoever to do with actual facts about whether the Magnum engine would in fact hold lots of power for a long time without failing.

Just out of curiosity...
How many years worth of 10-second timeslips should I continue to collect or how many thousands of miles should I drive my full-weight 4200# '99 Dakota before I can claim it's Magnum 360 engine is holding up?
Old 06-28-2015, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

If you want to talk about engine efficiency. Here ya go.

Magnum engine. 408 Cu in, Carb, edelbrock heads, cam, M1 intake, 1 3/4 headers

448 hp at 5800, 412 HP at 6000

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-mopar-engine/

LS engine. 409 Cu in, carb, stock heads, cam, intake, 2 inch headers

588 HP at 5800, 564 hp at 6400

And I can tell you, one cost much more than the other.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...iron-block-ls/
Old 06-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

If you want to talk about engine efficiency. Here ya go.

Magnum engine. 408 Cu in, Carb, edelbrock heads, cam, M1 intake, 1 3/4 headers

448 hp at 5800, 412 HP at 6000

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-mopar-engine/

LS engine. 409 Cu in, carb, stock heads, cam, intake, 2 inch headers

588 HP at 5800, 564 hp at 6400

And I can tell you, one cost much more than the other.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...iron-block-ls/
Holy change the subject Batman.

So now you don't want to talk about a Magnum engine holding up, but want to talk about how it's cheaper to build a belly-button engine that everybody else has?

Name:  Duner12vs18lbs_zps0f0436a3.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  85.1 KB

That's OK Casias. I understand that some people need other people to show them how things are done. That's OK by me too. I love Hot-Rodding, and everybody should get an opportunity to do it however they can. And don't get me wrong. I'm not bad-mouthing the LS patform in any way, shape, or form. It IS a good platform. Anybody that's on this site and looking at this thread already knows that. (btw Casias - take a close look at our join dates)

Again, I just wanted the rest of the class to understand that the Magnum platform can and does perform and hold up to abuse as well as anything else does.... and that one man's opinion is not exactly gospel.

Last edited by duner; 06-28-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:59 AM

Why don't you ever compare apples to apples.
LT based engines vs. magnum based engines.
LS based engines vs. Gen 3 Hemi engines.
Let's be fair about it.
Even you know what it takes to make power. Heads cam compression. Heads being the biggest factor.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99DAK
Why don't you ever compare apples to apples.
LT based engines vs. magnum based engines.
LS based engines vs. Gen 3 Hemi engines.
Let's be fair about it.
Even you know what it takes to make power. Heads cam compression. Heads being the biggest factor.
How old is your account? 30 minutes?
Old 06-28-2015, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

It is easy to see longevity by all of the dead threads on dakotart.com

And the few disappointing timeslips and dyno pulls posted there.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

It is easy to see longevity by all of the dead threads on dakotart.com

And the few disappointing timeslips and dyno pulls posted there.
Again, how many years of longevity are required for you to say it's "good"?

Dead threads on a forum?
You DO realize that some people buy and sell their rides and change vehicles and projects fairly often don't you?

Do you think I should be disappointed in my Dyno sheet or timeslips?
Old 06-28-2015, 01:24 PM

How old is your account? 30 minutes?
Irrelevant.
Not answering questions seems to be your forte.
Why do you always do unfair comparisons?
Old 06-28-2015, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by duner
Again, how many years of longevity are required for you to say it's "good"?

Dead threads on a forum?
You DO realize that some people buy and sell their rides and change vehicles and projects fairly often don't you?

Do you think I should be disappointed in my Dyno sheet or timeslips?
Are you searching for a compliment? Ok honey. Your dress is really pretty, and that two lbs you lost makes you look great.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99DAK
Irrelevant.
Not answering questions seems to be your forte.
Why do you always do unfair comparisons?
I'm not changing the topic at all.

I think the LS engine is fantastic. I think the Magnum motor is a turd that is not worth my time.

Others may have a different opinion.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Are you searching for a compliment? Ok honey. Your dress is really pretty, and that two lbs you lost makes you look great.
You said the Magnum lacked longevity.
I proved you were full of it.

The timeslips they hand me at the timing shack are all the compliments I require. I'm really sorry you have a difficult time understanding facts, but these things I have posted were not actually for your pleasure. You stated your opinion and tried to pretend they were facts. I simply made sure the rest of the Internet understood that it was in fact only your opinion. The fact that you couldn't make a Magnum run or keep one together would your cross to bear alone. Don't blame us for your failures! I'm certainly happy for you that you found a platform with enough support to hold your hand during difficult times.

Last edited by duner; 06-28-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

But when it all comes back to the main point. LS motors are just better over all!
Old 06-28-2015, 05:30 PM
Teching In

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a "super bad magnum motor" but here's my junk magnum, cacias. You were almost dead on with your 14 second estimation, btw. Do you think it would be worth the swap?

Last edited by onebaddakota; 06-28-2015 at 07:16 PM. Reason: bad link

Quick Reply: LS1 going into a 99 Dakota R/T