Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1955 Chevy Convertible LSx Rat Rod Project.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Rockers - Before

After (they still need a little more patina touch up to look fully authentic)

Platform built for air pod

Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Trial fit 20x9's. Not actual rims but needed to verify back spacing before ordering real ones. Gosh it's tight. 275/40zr20's. Too big??

Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Looking good, cool thing is the way your going about it if you ever did get tired of the rat look it wouldn't be hard to change the outside to a restored finish.

What wheels did you decide on?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rockytopper
Looking good, cool thing is the way your going about it if you ever did get tired of the rat look it wouldn't be hard to change the outside to a restored finish.

It would almost be easier to just frame off the car all the way. In some ways it harder and more expensive to keep exterior original while rebuilding and restoring everything else.

To finish we I'll just need to fix doors and minor quarter repairs. Super easy.

What wheels did you decide on?
Two different types it's narrowed down to.
Www.adv1wheels.com
http://www.adv1wheels.com/adv1wheels...ion/ADV5TS.php

Or Foose "Coupe" wheels. I really hate to put "Foose" wheels but they really seem to look nice (coupe design only...new for 2012) and I can have a solid billet center cap so it wouldn't show Foose anywhere. (I like the guy but feel the wheels are overdone). I have a local co who will order and spec out the Foose wheels on their dime. If I do the ADV.1 wheels it's on my dime if I screw up the back spacing.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

Default Need help! Car won't start now.

need help! Project almost done. Runs but no exhaust. O2 sensors are tied off under tranny. It would start on second turnover. Drove it into the garage and next morning it wouldn't run. Nothing has changed (that I can see).

When turning over it will now only catch and sputter (won't even start) every 5-7 seconds. Has fuel and spark. It has to be something simple.

It was rUnning very rich wo 02's hooked up but it did run. All codes were reset in computer and still no dice. What information is needed and/or what am I missing?

Thanks for your help.

(btw, my dad and 5 yr old are looking it over)

Old 06-11-2013, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

verify fuel pressure, engine grounds...need O2's installed in full exhaust...it will run like **** until you do
Old 06-11-2013, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Wow, the car looks great. I'd love to pick up a '55. Looking forward to more finished pics. Good luck getting it running correctly.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by oange ss
verify fuel pressure, engine grounds...need O2's installed in full exhaust...it will run like **** until you do
Has good fuel pressure, haven't checked all the grounds. Take it to exhaust shop tomorrow afternoon.

Can I install electronic cutouts or will it affect a/f ratio? Or will it just be utterly red-neck for the rat rod?

I have a ton of pics and will take more hopefully next week when this little bug is worked out and it's tuned properly.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by t_towner
Has good fuel pressure, haven't checked all the grounds. Take it to exhaust shop tomorrow afternoon.

Can I install electronic cutouts or will it affect a/f ratio? Or will it just be utterly red-neck for the rat rod?
cutout will generally lean out the afr up top, especially if you run a restrictive exhaust system...I don't think they are any limitations for a rat Rod....cutouts into lake pipes would be cool....just saying
Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by oange ss
cutout will generally lean out the afr up top, especially if you run a restrictive exhaust system...I don't think they are any limitations for a rat Rod....cutouts into lake pipes would be cool....just saying
Exhaust installed today and I forgot to take pics. Couldn't install cutouts due to "X" brace on convertible.

Tomorrow in AM we start digging into why it won't start along w the tune. Can't wait to hit the streets! Assume that before long I'll be looking for a maggie to set on top once more horsepower is needed.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Well, fuel pump was smoked. I've taken to the resident LSx expert to help work out all the bugs.

VDO gauges and clock just showed up as well.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Default Need Help!

I need help/guidance. We're trying to do something a little unique w the air induction on the car. We've built this custom air box and are thinking of installing a cowl induction system made out of billet aluminum. It will be polished and pretty but I'm not sure if this will look right. Can you guys please help provide feedback/direction?

Almost there. Tune is off but I've been able to drive it a few miles. Can't wait!!

Thanks a million for your input on the air box.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

I would "patina" the outside to match the car theme or build the box with stainless steel (unfinished) and solid rivets (button head) IMO billet would look out of place, but stick with aluminum or stainless steel...don't want rust going down the intake...good luck !
Old 09-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

It's getting closer. Can't believe how many things I've had to redo twice. Hoping to make it to "the last run" in Arc City Kansas this weekend. Inner fenders not painted and little doo-dads left in interior. Its gonna be a late night finishing intake. Haartz canvas top came out pretty nice.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Default Help, communication code U0107

I need some help! When I drive the car the DBW throttle fors out. P1515 and P2108 and it's throwing communication code U0107.

Speartech harness. C5 pedal. Any ideas what's going on? It's not fully tuned yet and I've reset codes. It seems random. I've driven it 20+ miles w no problem. Then 2 miles and out. Can't find any loose connections or cut/rubbing wires?

Can anyone help?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car is looking sweet! Do you have any updates? I'm building a 1956 Convertible. I built the rim that are currently on my car. I'm running 18" X 12" with Pilot Sport 335/30/18's on the rear. On the front, 18" X 7.5" with 245/45/18's.

I still have to mini tub the rear. Thanks for all the pictures, I'd like to see more.

Last edited by Samora Racing; 01-26-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Nice looking ride! Have any picks of that 56 before you got started?

I decided not to mini tub due to the fact that you would have to remove the original body mounts next to wheel wells (convertible only) and I wanted to keep the bones of the car as original as possible.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:16 AM
Teching In

car looks great.

I love seeing resto-mod-rats with beautiful finished interiors and hammered exteriors.

I have an Idea for the CAI, do what you're doing, but plumb the headlight buckets into the box and use the turn signal housings for a set of headlights...

if you had headlights with busted glass or missing glass that still had a patina'd backing to look like it had just drove out of a field that would really up the ante on the rat look.

just my $.02

Last edited by wayfastwhitey08; 01-29-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

this build is awesome!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t_towner
Nice looking ride! Have any picks of that 56 before you got started?

I decided not to mini tub due to the fact that you would have to remove the original body mounts next to wheel wells (convertible only) and I wanted to keep the bones of the car as original as possible.
Thanks! It's been fun, and I still have a lot of work ahead of me, and things don't get done fast since I do all my own work. I installed a spring pocket kit, and removed the body mount for wheel clearance. I plan on welding it back to the other side of the frame once I cut the tubs. I also built my own 18" x 12" and 18" x 7.5" rims. I had to do this to keep the car looking like a stocker but have the performance of a bigger footprint. The car will get lower after the mini tubbing! Mini tubbing is not going to be easy since I have to deal with the additional structures of a convertible.

Here is a video of me building these rims:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzOFISR2faQ

Quick Reply: 1955 Chevy Convertible LSx Rat Rod Project.