Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1955 Chevy Convertible LSx Rat Rod Project.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice build!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Of your choices, I like the Vista's the best. Not a big fan of Foose wheels. But if it were my car, it would probably get Billet Specalities Vintec's, but that's just me. Very cool car by the way! And as was asked earlier, how does one go about finding something like this????
craigslist
Old 01-30-2014, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Love that 56! Did you have to replace the quarters?

True originial paint 50's convertibles are extremely hard to find w all original panels and paint. (especially affordable ones).

Built these inner fender panels and sprayed them down w muratic acid before clear coating them to keep in line w the patina.

Also redoing the intake system to aluminum.

Now have to redo the lid.

A few months back.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The inner fender filler panels and the air box look sweet. I was gong to fab up me a cold air intake that had the filters built into the front filler panels of the radiator, then piped into the throttle body. But I decided to just go with the Street & Performance air intake with the MAF built in. I still might build one, but other projects on the car outweighed that part of the build.

As far as the body goes; I replaces both inner and outer rocker panels, the drivers quarter panel, all but one of the floor panels, and a couple of panels in the trunk. I'm going to paint the car its original color of black and white since a majority of the patina is gone.

Fed Ex just delivered me a Aeromotive fuel tank, CPP upper and lower control arms, QA1 coil over front shocks. I think that my new A-arms are the same type you had on your car. Did you go with these or did you use another type? I decided not to go with the air ride suspension.

Also on the car is QA1 rear shocks, EW shock bar, big brakes all around, CCP 2" drop spindles, Dakota Dash, Ididit chrome tilt steering column, CPP 670 gear box, dual 11" Spall fans, 3 core aluminum radiator, LS1 with 4l60E trans, Ford 9" narrowed rear end with 3;70 gears.

Here are some more picts of the car in the sheet metal stage:

Old 01-31-2014, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Always liked the two tone 56 paint scheme. Looks like a very nice ride. Are the dates on the pics correct? How/where did you find the car? Would love to hear the story.

I had a ton of flack about not painting this car but I never wanted the "is it a real convertible" question. It sure is nice to hop in a drive without worry about the paint or what people think.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:51 PM
Teching In

The dates on the pictures are correct. The story on my 56 is the car was purchased from the Ft. Sumner dealership in Ft. Sumner New Mexico in 56. Then the car was purchased off the side of the road by a guy from Clovis, NM in 1970. The car was towed home to Clovis, NM where is sat in a open field from 1970 till it was purchased by me in 2004. I purchased the car, complete and is a true VC Convertible. I was able to start and run the original 265 V-8, but never drove it. I decided to build the car as a resto rod which show in the pictures. I have worked on it here and there over the years. I'm building the car with plans on driving it for a couple of months. I will then do a complete frame off rotisserie restoration. The original colors are Onix Black, and India Ivory. Here is a picture that I put together on how its kinda going to look.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Default Dynomax tune day!

Getting ready to finally tune the beast.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Keep me posted. What a-arms are you using?
Old 02-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Teching In

I havnt been on here for a while. just seen this project.
Have to say, I love it. Couldn't be done any better. Youre gonna have sooo much fun in this thing when you get it de bugged.
Darrell
Old 02-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Well, it wasn't the best day on the dyno. There is some little gremilin in the computer that is not letting the throttle go past 25% under load. In park it will rev full range. We just ran out of time today and I had to quit for he daddy and daughter dance.

Randy did a great job but in the end we had to reinstall the original open loop tune. "a cople more weeks" seems to be the motto lately.

I have a video I'll try to post tomorrow.

Samora, control arms are Global West.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:24 AM
Teching In

t_towner

Hows your 1955 car build going? I finally got to put some miles on my 1956 this summer. Check out my car build video on youtube. Here are a few pictures.......

Attached Thumbnails 1955 Chevy Convertible LSx Rat Rod Project.-image2.jpg   1955 Chevy Convertible LSx Rat Rod Project.-image4.jpg   1955 Chevy Convertible LSx Rat Rod Project.-image5.jpg  
Old 01-03-2016, 02:49 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not really sure I would consider that a rat rod, but cool car non the less. Good job.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way this is remotely a rat rod. With that said, its beautiful.

Quick Reply: 1955 Chevy Convertible LSx Rat Rod Project.