Sponsored by:

LM7/th400 1967 Mustang - factory suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:04 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LM7/th400 1967 Mustang - factory suspension

I have been lurking for quite some time lately and updating my build thread on pro-touring. i wanted to wait until i had something substantial before i posted here.

anyhow, here is a short rundown of what has been going on. i picked up a somewhat clean 67 mustang about a month ago. sold the drivetrain out of it and been cruising craigslist for parts. i ended up getting a complete 5.3 engine from a junk yard and a sweet rebuilt th400 out of a hot rod for cheap. my father and i have been messing around with motor mounts for quite some time now. we were originally going to use some street rod style chevy mounts but found they would not work due to the width of the mustang frame. we also attempted to cut up the stock ford mounts and that didnt work either. we ended up using a spare set of energy suspension chevy mounts and 350/302 1969 camaro short engine frame stands. i had these left over from my 69 camaro ls1 swap.

here is the order of the engine mounts:

1/2'' thick SBC block plates from ebay with 1'' forward and 1'' back drilled holes.

tall and skinny SBC energy suspension motor mounts with the preload plate installed.

1969 camaro 350/302 short skinny frame stands.

bolt them up to the block, drop it into the frame, center the engine and trans, and tack the mounts in... well it wasnt that simple but it worked. i had to notch the frame to clear the th400 oil pan but that wasnt a big deal. i will need to fab up a new trans cross member as well. the th400 is way longer than the old c4 setup.

forgot to mention I am using a GTO oil pan and i was able to retain all of the rear factory steering! all i need to do is make a dropped engine crossmember to support the frame and to protect the oil pan from being the lowest part of the car.

Here is the whole story so far.

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...x-1967-Mustang

Old 06-16-2012, 11:15 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

i need some ideas for exhaust manifolds. I have a set of EGR truck manifolds and they will not fit between the head and the shock tower. i was thinking of running some ls2/ls3 vette manifolds instead and possibly rotating the mounting flange on the bottom.

does anyone know how far the vette manifolds sitck out past the head? or how wide that flange is at the bottom?
Old 06-16-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's gonna be tough with the stock towers. Have you looked into notching them? Google if you don't know it. I have an RCM clip in my Maverick and all kinds of room...
Old 06-16-2012, 07:27 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

i have been looking at the fordmuscle article on notching them and keeping the stock upper control arms.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/susp...ck-towers.html

i dont think i need that much extra room. the truck manifolds might actually fit if i cut off the huge flanges and the egr port on the passenger side. i may cut them up for practice welding of flange removal.

i actually jumped on a new unused set of ls3 vette manifolds for a decent amount. they seem like they hug the block pretty close and i also like that the O2 sensors screw into them.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

been a while since i posted... i have this car thread on three sites now. lol.

i managed to hook up my old drum brake parking cables to the SN95 rear discs. it was simple. i cut a strip of 1/8 thick steel drilled two holes and bent it in an L shape and bolted it to the caliper bracket. i then welded a mounting tab into my home made th400 cross member and hooked up the cable equalizer. i can now lock the rear brakes with the slightest pull of the stock parking brake handle.

the car sports new suspension as well. 1" lowering springs, new poly isolators, moog control arm shafts (rubber bushing type), new saddle perches, new moog lower control arms, moog strut rod bushings, newly turned rotors, and new front 4 piston disc brakes from chockostang.

and lastly, here is the top end of my 5.3 it consists of a crappy ls1 camaro intake manifold, ls6 vented valley tray, ls6 pcv hose, and a new oem cable throttle body. nothin fancy, i have left over ls1 fuel injectors and ls6 fuel rail from the motor i put in my camaro. also have a truck (zoo) 85mm MAF for it.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:02 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

here is the original craigslist photo of the car. it must have been an older photo because the car was covered is crap when i got there. i had to bring my own wheels and tires so we could roll it out.

everything packed inside the car.

rust and body damage

shock towers

notice the small notch i made for the exhaust.

and lastly the paint. layers and layers of paint and a skim coat of filler directly over the factory paint just to level the paint job. no dents!

Quick Reply: LM7/th400 1967 Mustang - factory suspension