Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx longevity in Rock Crawling application

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SIKHS 5
if not i have the perfect manual for you that i got from my engine guy - on how to run a lsx on a crawler, it covers how to do it.
Can you elaborate on that?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The key to running an LS-based engine in a rock crawler is oiling! Most important thing. These engines are simple to keep cool in a Jeep or anything else. No external oil cooler necessary. The oiling system is extremely sensitive to any kind of off camber though.

My friends and I all have tube buggies with 6.0 truck engines in them. Most run Kevco pans. I prefer the cast 4th gen f-body pan with the Improved racing baffle. The build quality and the fit/finish of the Kevco's leaves a lot to be desired, and they require a remote filter.

I ran a 6.0 LQ4 in my last buggy on 40" tires. That rig was 3800 lbs, your jeep is probably 42-4500 lbs or more. I wouldn't bother with a 5.3 or 4.8 with your setup you'll need more.

I ran an f-body pan with the baffle like I mentioned above. Only on the steepest climbs or close to rolling over would I see the pressure drop. But when it did, it was almost immediately, just enough time to back off to level ground and let the pressure build up. Which is usually at the point where you need to stay in the throttle to make the climb or save from rolling.

I'm building a new buggy this spring with a 2008 LY6. I'm going to use the same f-body pan again for clearance reasons, with the same Improved Racing baffle. This time I'll probably use an accumulator too.

Quick Reply: LSx longevity in Rock Crawling application