Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 camaro tko crossmember issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 camaro tko crossmember issues

do you need to drill holes in the 68 frame to make these mounts work?

ls2- tko600-- ls/tko bell- i have the pass cylinder head about 1.5" from firewall-- the transdapt mounts wont work right so planning to order dingo ones tomorrow - the head will be about 1/2" from heater box- now im wondering if i should weld up that huge hole and do internal heater assy..

anyway the transmission crossmember holes are way too far back in the subframe and i would have to have the cylinder heads past the firewall to mount those up..
the vendor told me i may have to drill new holes in the frame.. should i??

just seems like the tubular mount doesnt have the correct offset for a first gen..

will the xfactor crossmember work better.. ?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your head/firewall clearance sounds about the same as mine. With this in mind, the trans crossmember should be right on. Could they have sent the incorrect crossmember?
I went to the BB heater core. The tubes leave the opposite side of the core, and will give you another foot, or so of clearance. You will have to weld up the SB core holes.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glenn
cars are very similar-- 68 rs/ss 327 muncie orig.. glas to see the power booster will fit with the LS -
actually looked at your build before and used the rad hose #s in it-- bought griffin rad from summit will see how that works

any pics of the crossmember installed?

my subframe has 3 holes up top and on bottom there is one round hole and one elongated hole- -- do some subframes have more holes in the bottom?

il have to look into the BB heater as this ones shot anyway..
Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Mike, I'm sorry. I don't have any pics of the crossmember...either separate, or installed. I can attempt to take a couple, tomorrow. The view & angle is rather limited, though.
The crossmember I have is part of a complete kit that came with the Keisler trans.
It is not a tubular...it is about 4 or 5 inches from front to back, and has slots where the rubber isolator would mount. The slots allow some forward & back movement of the isolator.
For the trans crossmember, my frame has 2 holes top, & 2 holes bottom, on either side.
One other thing...the trans I have is called a 'perfect fit' for 67-69 Camaro. This may allow the trans bolt holes to line up more favorably with the frame.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Junkie

This is the only pic I have at the moment. The car is having some paint correction done right now, and isn't accessable.

Quick Reply: 68 camaro tko crossmember issues