Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx prep; electric fans

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSx prep; electric fans

I have a 01 Gmc Jimmy and I am planning on making my truck as v8 worthy as possible before actually doing the swap. Right now I am thinking about adding some electric fans just wondering what would be the best way to wire them in other than stand alone temp sensors.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Other than a standalone setup as you stated. You could just wire them to a switch as a basic on/off fan and switch setup.

If possible, You might be able to have your Jimmy's current PCM/BCM tuned to handle the Fans.. ??

BC
Old 08-04-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Spal PWM controler and it works great.

Tim
Old 08-04-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Best deal I've found on an adjustable controller. I'm using the ecu for 1 fan, the AC trinary switch and adjustable controller for the other.
http://www.haywireinc.com/index.cfm/...prod/prd51.htm
Old 08-04-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

I would look for something that can control the speed and temp. I only run the fans as fast as I need to to keep it the temp I am looking for.
On dads chevelle the 1 16" at slow speed will keep the car 191 all day in 100 temps.
My car will stay 180's with 1 fan very rare for it to go to high speed and use both fans unless it it very hot outside

you get what you pay for in fans and controlers.

Tim
Old 08-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Launching!

Find OEM fans. I'm not a fan of spal, as of a couple days ago. 1 year old fan bit the dust, not worth what I paid for. Lol
I like Dakota digitals fan controller. That's what I'll be using when I setup my dual fans.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

I have almost 11,000 miles on dads fans in 2 summers

The dual on my car has been there since 05 been on drag week.

Did you contact Spal to see if they would stand behind it?

Tim
Old 08-04-2012, 03:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also make sure you take into consideration you will probably need to move the radiator forward when you do the V8 swap. If your keeping the AC this would mean putting the condensor in the grille area and the radiator tucked in the support.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
I have almost 11,000 miles on dads fans in 2 summers

The dual on my car has been there since 05 been on drag week.

Did you contact Spal to see if they would stand behind it?

Tim
I emailed them, but my car is a DD, so I went and bought another fan for temporary.

At any rate, I think aftermarket fans are rediculously loud. My 16" sounds like a jet coming down the road when it kicks on.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.spalusa.com/store/Main.aspx?html=guarantee

Tim
Old 08-04-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using the SPAL PVM Controller on my Chevelle, Had one failed after 5 years, they didn't have that model anymore so I had to buy the new version.. had to rewire due to different plugs and harnesses.

SPAL is no longer marketing the PVM Controller anymore.. so if this one fails. I am out of luck and will have to go with something different.

The SPAL Fans and the Controller have worked well over the years..

BC
Old 08-04-2012, 09:46 PM

Yeah I had a 350 in a 89 jimmy with the radiator in the forward position. I used fans off a dodge intrepid and they fit slim and work great. I had a low speed and a high speed temp switch and the truck never ran hot. Looking at using the same fans just wondering how I could wire it into the stock pcm. Also thinking about using a older 4.3 pump so that I can bolt the pulley on with Allen head bolts for space purposes. Any suggestions on wiring into the pcm?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There must be 1000 posts on here about how to wire fans into the stock PCM. Unquestionably the best way to do it. The problem with temp switches is no one makes one that fits in the 12 mm metric hole in the heads. As such us carb'd guys have to go through all kinds of problems to adapt 1/2 and 3/8 inch sensors to other engine openings. Either that or the radiator fin probe like posted above. Again, must be 1001 posts on how to do that.

I hate to say this but don't buy a SPAL fan. No offense to the guys that have them but I can't begin to count the number of hate posts I have read on those. For $20 you can grab an OEM fan and the relays needed to drive them from a J/Y. Chances are a Taurus fan on slow speed is all the air flow you will need. You can pay more for a SPAL fan, much much more, but I just don't see the benefit AND you run the risk of it not working as well as an OEM pullout. Just too many horror stories out there.

Like I said, if you grab a fan from a JY make sure and get the relays that feed it.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
There must be 1000 posts on here about how to wire fans into the stock PCM. Unquestionably the best way to do it. The problem with temp switches is no one makes one that fits in the 12 mm metric hole in the heads. As such us carb'd guys have to go through all kinds of problems to adapt 1/2 and 3/8 inch sensors to other engine openings. Either that or the radiator fin probe like posted above. Again, must be 1001 posts on how to do that.

I hate to say this but don't buy a SPAL fan. No offense to the guys that have them but I can't begin to count the number of hate posts I have read on those. For $20 you can grab an OEM fan and the relays needed to drive them from a J/Y. Chances are a Taurus fan on slow speed is all the air flow you will need. You can pay more for a SPAL fan, much much more, but I just don't see the benefit AND you run the risk of it not working as well as an OEM pullout. Just too many horror stories out there.

Like I said, if you grab a fan from a JY make sure and get the relays that feed it.
spot on! Couldn't have said it better.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Agreed. btw, one advantage and the reason I went with the adjustable haywire unit is the probe goes in the radiator drain plug with a compression fitting.
Also...love the $40 Windstar dual fans. Cheap, very available, and move a lot of air.
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood

Old 08-05-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
Agreed. btw, one advantage and the reason I went with the adjustable haywire unit is the probe goes in the radiator drain plug with a compression fitting.
Also...love the $40 Windstar dual fans. Cheap, very available, and move a lot of air.
Just saw that the unit you linked to has the probe going in the petcock. I would definitely prefer that over the radiator fin probe I have now. I just today fixed an issue where the temps would creep up at times. Turns out the probe in the radiator fins had worked loose. Not sure if this is the best fix but I used a wad of JB weld epoxy putty to hold the probe in place. Temps stayed rock solid all day today and the probe definitely won't come loose no more.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Launching!

I have dual Spal 11 inch fans & the PWM controller,been using for 1.5 years with no issues.

Daily driver 100+ miles a day.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:37 PM

After searching a lil more I found that in order to wire into the pcm I would have to turn on the pin in the actual pcm. not sure what would be the best software to look into or where to find it though. Thanks for all the input so far I really appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: LSx prep; electric fans