Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine starts, runs for 3-5 seconds and dies, sometimes fires & dies immediately

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tac could be the problem, but there have been several, and by several I mean tons of people who after disconnecting their throttle body for maintenance on intake gaskets have had to replace their throttle body. I would look there before I replaced the tac. but thats just me.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. The S10 does not have a resistor built into the key....too old for that, I think. As far as the column lock setting in the PCM, our guy set it to “NO”. Hopefully that disables the feature.

2. I already ordered the TAC from GM, so will have to see when it gets here. I have more open to my wiring or a damaged harness causing problems than the components, as the components functioned together as a unit before they were removed from the car.
However, I am trying to remain open minded and will keep the throttle body in mind.

Maybe I will “adjust” the harness in some place that it hasn’t been moved (since installation” and see if that changes the symptoms.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by OldS10
1. The S10 does not have a resistor built into the key....too old for that, I think. As far as the column lock setting in the PCM, our guy set it to “NO”. Hopefully that disables the feature.

2. I already ordered the TAC from GM, so will have to see when it gets here. I have more open to my wiring or a damaged harness causing problems than the components, as the components functioned together as a unit before they were removed from the car.
However, I am trying to remain open minded and will keep the throttle body in mind.

Maybe I will “adjust” the harness in some place that it hasn’t been moved (since installation” and see if that changes the symptoms.
Thats what im talking about. I have a friend that owns a repair shop and im good friends with some of the guys at the local chevy garage. Sometimes when they change intake gaskets on the truck they will unplug the throttle body, even after unbolting the battery cables. and when they finish everything up and take the truck on a test drive the truck will go into limp mode or it will start and die. Change the throttle body and all is well. Not saying this is your problem, but they have had this happen on more than one occasion.

If you decide to do something with the harness, wether it be repair or replace pm me. Ill make sure you are taken care of.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Default "It's alive, It's alive!!!!!!"

Originally Posted by groundczero
Is this a 98 corvette computer?
If so, corvettes had a steering column lock aswell as VATS.
You need to turn that off aswell.
I had this problem in my 85 mustang using the 98 vette computer and wireingharness.
OK, we're back.....along with checking out all of the other suggestions, I was looking through the factory Vette manuals, there was a description of this function. It went so far as to say that after it runs for 5 seconds & dies, it will not start again in this start cycle.
Today we took the pCm back to the programmer and he set the steering column lock as follows..The EFI Live asks "Is steering column lock installed?" Before it had been set to "NO". This time he set it to "YES".Reinstalled the PCM & it fired right up & didn't shut off until we shut it off. We're on pretty good terms with the local GM folks and they let us cancel the ordered TAC module.

Now we can get on to working out the other bugs.

I would like to sincerely thank everyone who contributed their time & input to help us resolve this issue. It IS appreciated.

Also, I would like to say that this forum seems to have much more savy people than others that we have tried. Some of them have more "testosterone based" blurbs than technically competent input, guys that just want to brag & be heard.

I hope that I may be able to contribute as well sometime.

When we are on the road, I will try to post some photos of the completed project.

Thanks again!
The following users liked this post:
Joel Clark (09-30-2020)
Old 08-20-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

Seems like an odd fix, I would have thought it would have had to be set to 'no' also,. Glad you got it figured out!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

great to hear you guys figured it out! I've been following this thread.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 97camaroguy
great to hear you guys figured it out! I've been following this thread.
It sure is good to know. I have a complete vette harness/pcm setup that I am working on. Now I know what to set the harness lock to when I do the programming.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
It sure is good to know. I have a complete vette harness/pcm setup that I am working on. Now I know what to set the harness lock to when I do the programming.

Just so you know, I have only seen this issue with the 97 and 98 vette harnesses.

OldS10 has confirmed EFI-Live can edit it out.
I can confirm HP tuner can edit it out.
I can confirm LS1-edit is not able to edit it out.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow.. glad to see that the issue is resolved. Been following along everyday reading the updates waiting for the fix.

I have always heard and read that the 97-98 PCM are a PITA to be working with. I guess this is one of them reason.

BC
Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Teching In

We never seem to do anything the easy way, but like my wife says...."It's custom".
Thanks again...all of you!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As one of my buddy's said.. "This is what Hot Rodding is about !"
Old 08-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Isn't that the truth! (As part of our business, we build display boards so that at least some of the spectators get a clue as to what some of these guys (& girls) go through to get to the end result. It IS difficult to imagine unless you've been there.) I'm content to be on this side of the "fence".
Old 08-23-2012, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

so glad to hear its running! Ill have to keep that column lock in mind!

Quick Reply: engine starts, runs for 3-5 seconds and dies, sometimes fires & dies immediately