Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 and later vortec engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 and later vortec engines

Like to ask if anyone has installed a 2007 or later vortec engine with the Fuel Management System? If so, did you leave the FMS in place or is there a way to get around using it? I would like to put a newer vortec in my 72 Chevelle but I am concerned about the FMS. Not sure how it would perform.
Thanks for any information.

Bob
Old 08-14-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

active fuel management uses special lifters. You can use it or disable the system. With AFM you are limited on cam specs (primarily Lift), but there are specific aftermarket cams available. If you do away with AFM you can run more cam. Depends on what you want....
Old 08-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Plan on just having a nice cruiser with maybe the addition of headers. I wouldn't mind having the AFM system if it did not alter the idle or hp when I want it. Otherwise I would like to disable it.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Its only active at cruising speeds. My boss has had 2 LSx cars with AFM and hasn't complained a bit about power or throttle response.

If you don't plan on upgrading the camshaft, I'd suggest you keep it (with a slushbox, I don't think the manuals can use it very well).
Old 08-16-2012, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The AFM really only work on deceleration anyway in the truck motors in stock form. It will run in V4 mode a very low speeds and that's about it. Its more of a gimmick that an actual fuel saver.

You can tune it out and run the motor as is and it will not hurt anything.

Or to delete it you need to remove the heads. Remove the 8 AFM lifters and four lifter trays. Install 8 reg. lifters and four lifter trays. Then remove the AFM valley cover and install the correct non AFM valley cover with the orings under the cover to block the AFM ports. Also you need new head gaskets and head bolts. And tune it out of the ECM still as well.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

I think I might look for a non AFM system motor. I saw a 6.0 liter in a Hummer for sale. It is probably 4wd so I have to ask if anyone knows if there is any difference in the 6.0 liter (engine only) in a the 4wd Hummer compared to a 6.0 in a 2wd pickup. For my installation I would be using a 4l60e 2wd trans.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skydude
I think I might look for a non AFM system motor. I saw a 6.0 liter in a Hummer for sale. It is probably 4wd so I have to ask if anyone knows if there is any difference in the 6.0 liter (engine only) in a the 4wd Hummer compared to a 6.0 in a 2wd pickup. For my installation I would be using a 4l60e 2wd trans.
No differences the motors are all the physically same 2wd to 4wd wise. The wire harness will have some extra wires and the PCM with be for a 4x4 but that's easily fixed. The hummer motor will be a LQ4 6.0L and will have the correct flex plate you need for the 4l60e as the hummer only used the 4l60/65e 4x4 trans.

Quick Reply: 2007 and later vortec engines