LQ4/T56 into 2001 BMW 540i

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by vazfx16
looks great
thanks for the comparison

You say you and your buddy's car are neck and neck. His M5 has mods?
It is a toss up. There are certain variables that affect the outcome. In the past, I ran a set of 16" wheels with 225/50 tires, and I easily pulled 3 cars on him. I chalk it up to a gearing advantage provided by the wheels. I have run him with my new M-Parallels, and the 285/35/18s are much heavier. Also, I NEVER bang gears/powershift. I always rev the motor out, but each shift is a careful yet deliberate action. Blame it on sensibility, since I spent an obscene amount of money to buy and rebuild the T56. With that being said, I pull very slightly (maybe half a car) given my current setup, not banging gears. If I were to slam them I'm sure I'd make a lot more headway on his ***. But it's all just for entertainment and scientific curiosity, so no reason to risk mechanical failure to prove a point in some dick swinging grudge racing.

His car has a Tubi exhaust, short shifter, and a few other small things. At one point he was running Alpha-N software, he may still be (I should ask).
Old 10-07-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool.
Makes sense
Old 10-16-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LQ4-E39
... throttle is drive by cable, stiffer, and the pedal travel is almost twice as much (this is due to the cam profile of the truck throttle body, it isn't matched to the motion ratio on the E39 pedal). I have an LS6 throttle body that I experimented with and the pedal travel is like stock
I see what you mean. I have the car-throttle body, and the pedal travel is crazy. I don't know where full throttle is...might be under my floor LOL
Old 10-17-2013, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, try a truck throttle body and see how it works. I have the old van one sitting on my bench, and would like to port and polish it before installing it. Also need to machine down the throttle stop since it only allows 68% or so while at WOT.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does that have to do with the cam on the TB? Wonder if those could be swapped. I have I really nice ported car TB I want to use....and 3 truck TBs......
Old 10-17-2013, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes, it does. the only downside to MIGHT be difference in performance between car and truck TB due to internal diameter of the bore, etc. but, i doubt there's any difference there.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I meant swapping a cam from a truck TB to a car TB.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Have not driven the car much yet -- only a few minutes -- but the throttle feels really soft. To get any power I have to mover the throttle pretty far. The throttle is great of tipping around though.

I will have to do something about this. Maybe I will get used to it? But my truck has a better throttle feel. I would like it to be a more progressive throttle activation. Right now it feel linear all the way through the range of motion -- if you know what I mean. The secret may be in changing the pedal mechanism. Shortening the pedal's cable attachment arm will increase the amount of pull on the cable.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ironfreak
I meant swapping a cam from a truck TB to a car TB.
My mistake, I know what you mean. I was going to take the easy way out and just port/polish/fill the truck throttle body. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that there is no flow difference between the truck and car, and they look the same on the inside. However, a local guy with an LS2 swapped FD RX7 says that the LS6 throttle body is far superior to the truck unit.

Originally Posted by vazfx16
Have not driven the car much yet -- only a few minutes -- but the throttle feels really soft. To get any power I have to mover the throttle pretty far. The throttle is great of tipping around though.

I will have to do something about this. Maybe I will get used to it? But my truck has a better throttle feel. I would like it to be a more progressive throttle activation. Right now it feel linear all the way through the range of motion -- if you know what I mean. The secret may be in changing the pedal mechanism. Shortening the pedal's cable attachment arm will increase the amount of pull on the cable.
Try a different throttle body if you have one. It's much easier than changing pedal mechanics. The car throttle body I have easily has 60% of the travel of the truck one.

I found that the pedal exceeded its range of motion before hitting the stop of the throttle body and risked cracking the bendy plastic that allows it to pivot, so I partially put a bolt into the threaded boss under the gas pedal, with a nut against it to act as a lock nut. It gives me an adjustable "stop" to avoid pedal damage when stomping all over everything during spirited driving.

Also, I assume your BMW was drive by cable when it was stock? Mine was drive by wire, and there was an OEM spring loaded mechanism on the gas pedal that I left in there. In combination with the spring on the GM throttle body, it has the right amount of resistance.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

I dig what you are saying on the mechanics of the pedal vs the bellcrank change.
Yes, mine was cable actuated in stock form.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

A few weeks back, before going into storage.

getting used to the new garage...

and away

Although knowing me it will spend more time on jackstands than it will under a cover
Old 11-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The polished Parallels look fantastic on it.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you. They are my favorite part aesthetically.

The plan is to paint and install M-Tech bumpers over the winter and dial in the coilovers to exactly where I want them. The black wheels are temporary since I destroyed the tires on the M Pars. I also want to have some body work done since it is a 10 footer (swirls, dings, etc).

I regret not taking more pictures with the coilovers and new wheels but winter came too soon
Old 11-18-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I kinda like it without the M style bumpers. Way more sleeper effect. Those swirls should be easy enough to correct too. Looks so hot with those wheels and stance!!
Old 12-06-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the compliment. The car needs new bumpers since the rear one has some heavy chips in it (from the prior owner driving into it with his other car) and the front is nearly sandblasted from all the highway miles.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a few questions for you, i am in the process of gathering parts for my e39 ls swap, and my donor vehicle will be a 2003 tahoe (rollover) was your car originally automatic ? what was done with your tune to aid you in the passing of the emissions testing, im up in canada and we have the obd test for vehicle newer than 97. i have been looking into this swap for some time now and i want to be sure i have all my ducks in a row when i get started.

thanks

farmer
Old 01-02-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car was a 6 speed. I have not yet had an inspection done as my sticker wasn't expired yet. We don't test for emissions here, only requirement is no CEL.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update time. I was off of work for a week and a half and have been busy.

We have been getting hammered lately with snow, and I'm so glad I have this AWD bad boy to beat around in. It gets a good workout every time it snows. Bounced it off a few snowbanks so far, no issues whatsoever. I did a timing belt job on it over Christmas shutdown, including new belt, tensioners, idlers, and accessory drive belts. New brakes all around, oil change, and 2 new wheel bearings in front, so it has tons of life left in it. Hoping to wring another 75k-100K out of it (it has 118K currently).

My wife to be needed some better tires for her A4 to cope with the snow so I picked these up.

I did a side job for an acquaintance on his '02 540i, he needed an alternator and some cooling system parts. While ordering his stuff on RockAuto I saw these on sale and bought some. I have been been using the jack points with no pads for years now and this will save some wear and tear on the chassis.

Since the car is coming apart for paint work I picked this Slimmbones rear diffuser up to increase my sex appeal.

We decided to paint the kitchen over my "vacation", so naturally while at Lowe's I picked up paint supplies to paint the finished garage as well. Here are some swatches of color that will be accents around the garage. I will hold off on pics of the progress until it is done.

A couple of hours got me here. I had someone help me remove the hood also, and that's resting on the roof (on a blanket) now.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm diggin that princess blue.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, you guys are ruthless. I sent that picture to a few other friends and they immediately saw that too.

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into 2001 BMW 540i