Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd or early 4th gen 5.3 turbo build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012 | 01:30 PM
Teching In

Default 3rd or early 4th gen 5.3 turbo build?

I'm looking to start a 5.3 turbo/t56 project over the upcoming winter. I am wondering what would be easier/cheaper for actually getting the motor/trans mounted in the car, 3rd gen or lt1 4th gen. Obviously a LS1 4th gen would be easiest but unless I find a cheap blown up one thats out of the question. I have read a few threads that said the truck accecories fit under the hood of a 3rd gen with slight modification. Also the 3rd gen k-member can be made to work pretty easily. I havent found many detailed threads about what parts are needed to mount in the 4th gen tho. Any knowledge would be a big help!

P.S. again this is for fitting of the motor/trans only! I do undertand that there is a lot more to the swap.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2012 | 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

I think overall you would have better luck finding a cheap 4th gen that isn't rusted out, and beat to hell, compared to a 3rd gens, which are creeping up in price.

Also, it's easier to fit bigger tires under a 4th gen, compared to using spacers/etc on a 3rd gen.
Old 08-17-2012 | 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

well a 93-97 would be a fairly easy swap i believe trans mount and ls front frame with mounts should be easy and cheap enough to find i have a lsT56 trans mount 20$ IMO theyre both cars a PITA to work on. third gen engine drops from the top and LT/LS you drop the whole frt suspension down or pull the body up
Old 08-18-2012 | 02:56 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input, maybe a 93-97 would be a better idea. Since I'm going to have to get a LS k member and trans mount ect anyways is there anything else that would be different if I bought a v6 car since they are a fair bit cheaper?
Old 08-19-2012 | 01:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by c.bayens
Thanks for the input, maybe a 93-97 would be a better idea. Since I'm going to have to get a LS k member and trans mount ect anyways is there anything else that would be different if I bought a v6 car since they are a fair bit cheaper?
I bought a '94 V-6 5 spd for my project, I think you will find afew of these points useful...

1. Brakes: The V-6 models have always had smaller/cheaper brakes, If you care about this figure this cost into your build.

2. Rear diff carrier: A V-6 will not have the locking diff, open gears is what they come with. It is at least the same type (10-bolt) rear end as the V-8 model, and can be upgraded the same way.

3. 2 peice drive shaft: The drive shaft is a 2 peice design with a carrier bearing mounted to the torque arm. This was done by the factory to improve the feel of the car, but would be a weak link for the turbo V-8 you intend to use.

The engine accessories and the low profile intake are the other 2 restrictions. The engine bay is wide and long, but not tall. No tunnel rams without cutting up your car (and windsheild wiper system).

I felt these shortcomings were acceptible, because these V-6 cars still had 3 good points.

1: Parts availibility
2: Lightest generation F-Body
3: Cheap purchase price (paid $1,700.00 for mine)

Pipe in if anyone has more to say, I dought I covered it all.

Quick Reply: 3rd or early 4th gen 5.3 turbo build?