Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OGPaint
How's this project going?
Originally Posted by rides by design
nice project. keep it goin'
Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
Looks great so far! I'd like to find a nice clean solid fullsize wagon someday
Hey, thanks guys. When I started building this car I was self-employed, so I had as much time as I wanted to devote to working on the wagon. I have since broke down and got a "real" job, so now I only have 1 day a week to get as much work done to it as I can.

Lately, I have been doing the tedious task of completely re-wiring the entire car, and taking extra time to change a few things up from how it came from the factory. Example: I installed the new Classic Instruments gauges in the dash where the factory gauges were. I re-wired the tail lights and brake lights so that all four lights come on when the tail lights are on and when the brake lights are applied. The same goes for when the turn signals are on--both lights on each side blink, instead of just one of them.

Also, to keep myself from getting burned out on wiring, I jumped over to removing the window regulators, window tracks, vent windows, etc. from my 49k mile 4 door Biscayne parts car and swapping them into the wagon.

Originally Posted by tk-mpl
Nice build!!!! I'm building a 61 Bel Air 4 door. I see the LH valve cover is pretty close to the hydro boost. Will a LS fit in there with a 9" booster?
Yes, the rear-most coil on the driver side is so close actually, that I had to clearance the master cylinder and also mill a 2 degree angle on the hydroboost bracket to pull the hydroboost/master cylinder out away from the coil.

I couldn't say for sure if the 9" booster would fit, but it would likely be closer to the firewall, so it may miss the coil.

I've got some more pictures that I can post of the gauges, wiring etc., but figured that stuff is boring and no one would really care to see that stuff.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to see an update.
If you ever see a decent tailgate for sale.....at any price.....please shoot me a PM on here. Mine on my Parkwood is pretty much shot and I haven't started on the car because of it. I sure would like to fix it to match the BelAir.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Good to see an update.
If you ever see a decent tailgate for sale.....at any price.....please shoot me a PM on here. Mine on my Parkwood is pretty much shot and I haven't started on the car because of it. I sure would like to fix it to match the BelAir.
I know what ya mean. I found a car in an old junk yard out in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma that had a nice tail gate and the guy wouldn't sell it to me. :-/

I'd really rather just find a nice tail gate for my car as well, but it looks like I may have to resort to fixing mine.

Anyway, here's some updated pictures of seam sealed and primed floor pan, wiring, aluminum spacers machined for the gauges, etc.

I forgot to resize them, so they are huge if I post the full size picture. Sorry they're small.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 PM
4*4
Teching In

Simply awesome car! Keep up the good work! Keep the patina and just clear it!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love these old wagons. Should be a fun ride when your done.

Nice job so far!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love the gauges. Post up the part numbers and brand if you get time please. I really like their near stock look.
On my BelAir, I have a momentary switch "hidden" in the cigarette lighter location. I plan on hiding my electric fan, water pump, and fuel pump switches behind the stock heater (control) delete panel if I can figure out a way to make it easy on/off that is functional instead of it being hard to remove or it falling off. I was planning on hiding gauges behind the radio delete plate, but may not have to after seeing yours so that will free up that location for a switch panel or something else. I am going to mount the Mallory HyFire VI box in a factory option '61 tissue dispenser that swings out from under the passenger side of the dash if it will fit. That will give me access to the pushbutton controls through the tissue opening and the wiring I hope I can mostly hide. If not then it'll go in the glove box.
Wish I could think up a more hidden spot for the shift light.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice build! I've got a "goldie" too!!!
Attached Thumbnails GOLDMEMBER--'61 Chevy Nomad wagon-cam'd 6.0L/air ride/etc-68_crop.jpg   GOLDMEMBER--'61 Chevy Nomad wagon-cam'd 6.0L/air ride/etc-img_20140125_212618.jpg   GOLDMEMBER--'61 Chevy Nomad wagon-cam'd 6.0L/air ride/etc-20140127_192746.jpg   GOLDMEMBER--'61 Chevy Nomad wagon-cam'd 6.0L/air ride/etc-20131111_182931_resized.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 4*4
Simply awesome car! Keep up the good work! Keep the patina and just clear it!
Thanks ! I planned on leaving the original gold paint, and maybe re-painting the roof and strip in between the trim ivory. I'm sure I'll change my mind again before the car hits the road.

Originally Posted by aggie91
Love these old wagons. Should be a fun ride when your done.

Nice job so far!
I appreciate it. I'm very happy with how it's come along so far.

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
I love the gauges. Post up the part numbers and brand if you get time please. I really like their near stock look.
On my BelAir, I have a momentary switch "hidden" in the cigarette lighter location. I plan on hiding my electric fan, water pump, and fuel pump switches behind the stock heater (control) delete panel if I can figure out a way to make it easy on/off that is functional instead of it being hard to remove or it falling off. I was planning on hiding gauges behind the radio delete plate, but may not have to after seeing yours so that will free up that location for a switch panel or something else. I am going to mount the Mallory HyFire VI box in a factory option '61 tissue dispenser that swings out from under the passenger side of the dash if it will fit. That will give me access to the pushbutton controls through the tissue opening and the wiring I hope I can mostly hide. If not then it'll go in the glove box.
Wish I could think up a more hidden spot for the shift light.
Here are the part numbers:
Fuel Gauge--Part # CIN-HR14SLF
Water Temp--Part # CIN-HR26SLF
Water Temp sender--Part # SN12MM
Oil Press--Part # CIN-HR81SLF
Boost--Part # CIN-HR08SLF

You might could mount the shift light behind one of the holes in the instrument cluster, like where the original OIL or BRAKE warning light was.

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
Nice build! I've got a "goldie" too!!!
Thanks ! Your truck looks great ! Which blower is that ? My boss has a gold '68 CST with a ZZ502, Whipple blower, 4L80E, air ride, blah blah blah. LOL. It's a pretty bad *** truck.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A_Pinstriper
Thanks ! Your truck looks great ! Which blower is that ? My boss has a gold '68 CST with a ZZ502, Whipple blower, 4L80E, air ride, blah blah blah. LOL. It's a pretty bad *** truck.

Wow! Trucks look very similar other than the lower white below the trim. I'm running a 2013 LS3 with a Maggie/6L80/Paddle shifters/VHX gauges...... Ask your boss if is his on 67-72chevytrucks.com. I've been on that board for almost 10 yrs. Here's a link to my build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...358692&page=17

My apoligies for the thread Hi-jack.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
Wow! Trucks look very similar other than the lower white below the trim. I'm running a 2013 LS3 with a Maggie/6L80/Paddle shifters/VHX gauges...... Ask your boss if is his on 67-72chevytrucks.com. I've been on that board for almost 10 yrs. Here's a link to my build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...358692&page=17

My apoligies for the thread Hi-jack.
Very nice setup ! My boss doesn't tend to get on any message boards any more.

You're truck looks like it is set up VERY well !

I've honestly been re-thinking my whole game plan on the engine setup for my car. I've got a 76mm turbo that I was planning on putting on the basically stock, cammed 6.0 that's in it, but I'm really seriously thinking about building a 383 or 408, swapping to a 4L80E and putting twin 67 or 70mm turbos on it.

I mean, hell, I've already come this far, I might as well build the car EXACTLY how I want it to be anyways, sooooo......
Old 07-11-2014, 06:20 PM
Teching In

LOVE this wagon.

Quick Reply: GOLDMEMBER--'61 Chevy Nomad wagon-cam'd 6.0L/air ride/etc