Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 overheating in jeep cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You wanna guess I say it is an airflow problem. Just not moving enough air over the radiator when crawling. Removing or unlatching the hood might tell you something.

I have seen cars that installed fans on the back of the engine compartment just to help the air move.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
What is it with XJs and overheating? I fought with my 4.0 for the longest time and it would run hot..even after replacing every single component. Then I got an 01...and it was fine.

Anyway...Ide try a little experiment. I would get some washers, or some 1/2" square tubing and install them between the hood and the hinges. So basically raising the back of the hood up. Im wondering if something weird isnt happening with the fans and the vents and airflow at low speeds and blah blah. It will allow more air out of the engine bay at lower speeds, and you'll get the cowl hood effect at higher speeds.

Do you have the outlets on the water pumped hooked up? Or just blocked off...

Oh and what are you using for a guage? How are you determining that its overheating? Is it actually boiling over? Or is a guage telling you.

Probably something simple...the work looks good, so just gotta keep checking/trying things til she cools off.

J.
using autometer guages. the vents sure put a lot of heat out, and the hood gets so hot you cant touch it at times.

my guess its in the tuning. The jeep doesn't like to go from wfo back to idle either without dieing at times. Like if i blip the throttle real hard then let off, it will die. I wish i new how to tune...
Old 08-31-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by stangkillerss
using autometer guages.

my guess its in the tuning. The jeep doesn't like to go from wfo back to idle either without dieing at times. Like if i blip the throttle real hard then let off, it will die. I wish i new how to tune...
The Autometer gauges in my 55 aren't really accurate, either. Especially the temp ga. It reads about 10* less than the data scans read. [EFILIVE].

There are obvious issues concerning the idle tune areas..[At the least]. Time to get it to a tuner, before you go nutz over the temp readings...[I'm betting the gauge won't match the scan tool.]
Old 08-31-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Find a local reputable shop in your area or a sponsor if you are close. Get them to strap it to a dyno with a wideband on it and see how it looks.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm leaning towards the tune or a headgasket. If its lean, its gona get hot at WOT, or any kind of hard load, especially if its fine unless you get down on the throttle.

Id start by seeing what the a/f looks like at wide open, or at least seeing what the o2s are reading at wot with a scanner. If they are reading lower than 890-900mv, its prob lean. Thats not a true reading but will give you an idea. Worst case it has a seeping headgasket. It can be leaking only at WOT, ive had it happen
Old 09-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Default Overheating

I'm having a similar problem with a5.3 wrangler it only wants to overheat at higher RPM.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I say start with verifying the tune so that you have a good baseline to start from so you are not chasing your tail. If the tune is dead on you know there are problems elsewhere.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the help guys. I guess i will try and find a tuner near wv. Any good recommendations?

Quick Reply: 5.3 overheating in jeep cherokee