Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another newbie with some LS swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Metz Motorsports
Not sure of my power goals....I'm so used the old sbc and their challenge to make power, in my experience there isn't a sbc out there you can mill a set of stock heads and with a decent cam make the kinda dyno numbers I see the LS motors make (or claim). So my goal? Haven't got a clue. I read that car craft article and I get blown away at the minor parts it took to make the power they claim. So, is it outta line to think 500 hp is easily attainable? I'm not a hp junkie, I'm more of a complete package kinda guy....my last build made 375 hp at the wheels and ran 10.90's in 4000' da....

I'm lookin more for ET goal I suppose....I haven't weighed this car yet, but I would think if I could get close to 500 hp from this 6 liter, 10.90 might not to far outta reach. So, is 500 hp obtainable with the 317 heads? I have considered the L92 heads cuz I work at a GM dealer and can get em a little cheaper than the average cost...but I'd the L92's or the 317's aren't what I need, then which head is the right one? I keep hearing LS3 head, guess I don't really know what that is.

I'd love to learn the EFI tuning stuff....and once I get the car turn key then bring on the tuning challenge....the help I need is the preliminary stuff....
If you buy tuning software you can easily make the ar run on the stock tune. My 4.8 ran pretty good and got excellent MPG. And I used the stock harness I modded myself and ran all the stock efi. Then I when I turboed, I got some help with the tuning, now I'm gonna learn on my own now that the car is safe to run and play with. Just buy the good software. I bought the HPT basic cuz it was cheap(I read in HOT ROD thats what they used) andI didn't know al that was involved. I bought it before I was o th forum. I would buy HPT again but I would get the pro version!
Old 09-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well... I have made the decision to go EFI....might as well...I'm just afraid of it...dollar for dollar it isnt that much different either way. Now, for what combo of intake and heads...t-body and injectors. I understand it goes back to power level goals, but like I said before I dont exactly have any. If I could make 500 hp at the crank i'd be happy. So, with that being said, it kinda looks like LS3 heads/intake are the favored choice? I am not familiar with the head numbers to which are LS3 or whatever they are LOL! What I DO know, I have 317's currently on this motor, which I read arent really worth usin...Money isnt really an issue providing the heads are GM castings...I'm not really interested in aftermarket heads. Furthermore, I am somewhat interested in astetics as well...and there are some pretty cool lookin intakes out there, OE intakes are ugly as ****...SO...anyone know where I'm goin with this?
Old 09-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alrighty then....600 views to this thread and barely a response....I guess I'll figure this out on my own!!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well if you want to do it right and get 500hP I suggest a aftermarket head or worked stock castings by one of the big name guys like MAST, Advanced Induction or TEA etc.

A stock cast head is going to be your biggest hold back in a drag car. HP wise.

Quick Reply: Another newbie with some LS swap questions