Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW E39 5 SERIES LSx/T-56 SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW E39 5 SERIES LSx/T-56 SWAP

ok after careful consideration and practicality I have choose my next project to tackle. plan is to take a 96-01 BMW 5 series, prefer a 540i 6-spd and remove the costly m52 and drop in a built LQ4/L96 combo, but I have a few questions that I have, and I know most of you guys on here are experts in these fields so here goes....

do I build the engine and keep it FI and mess with wires, tuning, and headaches or do I just go carbureted and not have to deal with all of that nonsense? I think it would look much cleaner with all the FI parts under the hood but I don't want to tackle something that will take me weeks and weeks of wiring and troubleshooting to resolve. which brings me to my next question...

what intake manifold/engine harness would I use. I know the L96 heads share the same ports as an LS3 but can I use the harness from the LQ4 or even an LS1 for all the electronics. sorry if I should like a noob on here but I kind of am. I grew up on old muscle and carbs and ventured into the VW and jeep realm when I got older.

any help would be appreciated. thank you.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

540 is M62, not M52.

I believe L92 heads are the same as LS3. Fuel injection is way better than carb for a swap like this IMO. The harness is already wired for all the injectors and such anyway. You'll have to use a car intake and accessories, the truck stuff won't fit.

I'd say do a google search, there's lots of info out there about this swap. And do LOTS of research.

Quick Reply: BMW E39 5 SERIES LSx/T-56 SWAP