Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steam Vent...Thoughts on where to plumb it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is teed into the heater retun hose, just before the water pump inlet.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 74modified
I agree. The coolant also helps provide corrosion protection and water pump lubrication. (think aluminum parts) Another point people forget about in a swap situation is the angle of the engine and high point of the system. Swaps can change these and you end up with areas that capture air/steam that were not a problem in the original car.
Agreed, but once you bleed the air/steam out of the system, and as long as there is the proper ratio of coolant and water and keep the correct pressure on the system , you should never get air/steam in the engine again. Unless of course there is a failure or leak.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
Agreed, but once you bleed the air/steam out of the system, and as long as there is the proper ratio of coolant and water and keep the correct pressure on the system , you should never get air/steam in the engine again. Unless of course there is a failure or leak.
Agreed, unless the cooling system is borderline, you still have to remove the heat. But, if there are small areas of of stagnation that reach a temp over your pressure and coolant threshold, small bubbles will generate. Do I know for a fact that this could happen in the LS head? No. But Chevrolet engineers know more about this system than any of us ever will. So we will agree to disagree, and I will agree with the Chevy engineers.
And here is a quote from the book - How to Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s by Will Handzel
Page 49. “Tip: Some road racers have been using the pre-LS6 steam tube under the LS6 intake to improve cooling in cylinder number 7 (they previously had detonation problems in that hole).”

Last edited by 74modified; 09-09-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 74modified
So we will agree to disagree, and I will agree with the Chevy engineers.
But that is the problem. You have no idea what the chevy engineers were thinking.

Maybe you should mail them the Will Handzel book to tell them what they have been doing wrong with every engine they have made in the last 6 or 7 years.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
But that is the problem. You have no idea what the chevy engineers were thinking.

Maybe you should mail them the Will Handzel book to tell them what they have been doing wrong with every engine they have made in the last 6 or 7 years.
I will not debate with you anymore, partially because the OP wanted to know WHERE to vent not IF to vent. AND if I use the same logic as you do above, you are now agreeing that the engineers know what they are doing...and they USE the front vents, this year and years past.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

My concern is that by having the steam vent plumbed to the suction side of the water pump, I may be creating too much flow through the steam vent. Could that be bad? It almost makes you think that those who plumbed there vents on the pressure side of the water pump are creating an air pocket with opposing pressure.
Either way I would assume that when the air is bled from the system you should be fine.

Quick Reply: Steam Vent...Thoughts on where to plumb it?