Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 944 with 5.3 LM4

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks 22lambo! Any one know how to get cheap hp out of an LM4. I just want to see if I can get the power of the LQ9 out of the LM4 for less then the cost of the LQ9. I have seen people use LS2 springs and cam but I havent looked into the cost. I will be doing all the work but I will probably have some money wrapped up in some dino runs and a tune then....wont I?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bankroll Bullies
Thanks 22lambo! Any one know how to get cheap hp out of an LM4. I just want to see if I can get the power of the LQ9 out of the LM4 for less then the cost of the LQ9. I have seen people use LS2 springs and cam but I havent looked into the cost. I will be doing all the work but I will probably have some money wrapped up in some dino runs and a tune then....wont I?
no problem. I am actually running ls2 cam, springs, and chain wn sprocket. However the motor will be twin turbocharged so that's were the power will come from
Old 05-31-2013, 06:38 AM

22lambo, that will be real nice but I have looked at the turbo kits and DANG they are costly lol. For that kind of money I can go with the LQ9 and do a few upgrades and have the same power lol. I guess im having to decide just how much I power i really need and how much I have to spend lol. I have been talking with TPC and he is telling me 350hp will blow my mind. 300hp will put me at a 30/1 weight to power ratio....which is much better than stock vetts are running at. I dont need a drag car but more a car that will compete with my buddies 2000 Z06's lol. I want to eat them up on the track and on the street with my kids in the back seat waving at them as I pull away lol. Just a side note, I wouldnt really race anyone with my kids in the car ....even though they would love it lol. I like the idea of the LS2 cam and spring set up. That would be simple enough. Any idea on the hp gains from the upgrades and the cost? Again, I will be doing all the work so no shop cost. I appreciate your help and your helping make the choics of the LM4 easier. I still want to see if the time and cost justifies me buying the cheaper LM4 over running a stock LQ9 thats already putting out the 360hp I would like to be at. TPC told me his LS2 will turn the tires over in 4th gear if he isnt carefull. He also said you will find yourself having to play with the gas pedle to keep it from just being a tire burner with only 300hp lol. That was hard for me to get at first because my buddies 951 runs 350hp and doesnt just break loose like that but he isnt running that kind of hp until he is spooled up all the way at like 6,000rpm. Again, thanks for your input and time.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bankroll Bullies
22lambo, that will be real nice but I have looked at the turbo kits and DANG they are costly lol. For that kind of money I can go with the LQ9 and do a few upgrades and have the same power lol. I guess im having to decide just how much I power i really need and how much I have to spend lol. I have been talking with TPC and he is telling me 350hp will blow my mind. 300hp will put me at a 30/1 weight to power ratio....which is much better than stock vetts are running at. I dont need a drag car but more a car that will compete with my buddies 2000 Z06's lol. I want to eat them up on the track and on the street with my kids in the back seat waving at them as I pull away lol. Just a side note, I wouldnt really race anyone with my kids in the car ....even though they would love it lol. I like the idea of the LS2 cam and spring set up. That would be simple enough. Any idea on the hp gains from the upgrades and the cost? Again, I will be doing all the work so no shop cost. I appreciate your help and your helping make the choics of the LM4 easier. I still want to see if the time and cost justifies me buying the cheaper LM4 over running a stock LQ9 thats already putting out the 360hp I would like to be at. TPC told me his LS2 will turn the tires over in 4th gear if he isnt carefull. He also said you will find yourself having to play with the gas pedle to keep it from just being a tire burner with only 300hp lol. That was hard for me to get at first because my buddies 951 runs 350hp and doesnt just break loose like that but he isnt running that kind of hp until he is spooled up all the way at like 6,000rpm. Again, thanks for your input and time.
I see what you are saying. I think stick with the LM4 and put as much LS6 parts on it as you can. If possible heads, intake, cam, etc. You will have plenty of power for a car with little to no weight. You wont be disappointed
Old 05-31-2013, 03:31 PM

Thats what im thinking as well. I was wondering if a thumper cam would be good in it? I want the redline to be what my 944 is now (6,400rpm). That cam would get it there. Would the LS6 or LS2 cam do the same. (i have little knowlege when it comes to cams). Would LS1 intake, fuel rail, injectors, and throttle body be ok? They are wayyy cheaper lol.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 AM

Ok, I just a steal on an ls2 cam, ls6 springs, and ls2 push rods ($150). Any one know what kind of power I should expext with that set up, plus ls6 intake, fuel rail, and injectors? Any guesses are welcomed. It will also have longtube header (suppose to add 30hp). I have to break the 350hp mark
Old 06-11-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

Whats up Troy! I have some parts stored you might be able to use. With the right combo you will easily hit your goal with the 5.3
-Kyle Robinson
Old 08-29-2013, 05:16 PM

Default is there any way i can contact you?

can I contact you some how or you contact me? I have the same car but 83 and looking to do the same swap but my dad thinks somethings wont be able to be handled with the amount of tourque going to the rear end. I would greatly appreciate it because im trying to make something sweet that I can say I built it myself and not put another stock motor in it..

Originally Posted by 22lambo
Okay guys, picked up the rest of the kit yesterday and I am soooo excited! It came with the big stuff like oil pan, clutch, headers, motor mounts, bellhousing and adapters. Still need to purchase a lot of stuff for this swap but its all downhill for now!

image hosting sites
Old 08-29-2013, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kyle F
can I contact you some how or you contact me? I have the same car but 83 and looking to do the same swap but my dad thinks somethings wont be able to be handled with the amount of tourque going to the rear end. I would greatly appreciate it because im trying to make something sweet that I can say I built it myself and not put another stock motor in it..
PM sent
Old 11-09-2013, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cool project! any updates?

Quick Reply: Porsche 944 with 5.3 LM4