Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Flow Water Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I was about to order the CSR water neck. I think I'll go with CBM instead.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to add a link to some good cooling tech, with some specific references to the LS cooling system. Helped me alot.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...CoolingSystems

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Stu,

It sounds to me like you are just running out of cooling capacity, and moving the water faster through the radiator, will probably do little to nothing. Airflow and radiator size are the two most likely culprits.
I agree that an OEM water pump should be plenty of capacity for his use, but I disagree with the thought that more flow will not offer additional cooling. Although it may not be the root of his problem, more water or air flow will cause more heat transfer/ cooling, its a thermodynamic fact.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CMAC, thanks for the suggestion but the hills are not quite that steep. Glad to help Richard. Turtle, thank you for posting that link. That is some really useful information that I am going to make use of. That would be great to add to the Stickies

OK, today it was 95 degrees so I took it to some long steep hills with the AC on. It is cooling better with the proper thermostat in place, but I am still not fully satisfied. Temperature is still climbing under a load, it does not climb as fast but over time it still gets up close to 250. I got an infared laser thermometer to do some testing. Good news is my temperature gauge is pretty darn accurate. I did not find any particular hot or cool spots and water is flowing. I am going to go ahead and install the PRW high flow water pump. I am going to raise the radiator a bit to make sure the cap is the highest point and I believe there is also some tweaking I can do with air flow through my radiator. So my Friday project is laid out for me. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking Cooling like it should!

PRW High Flow Water pump is installed. I also adjusted the angle of my radiator so that it is more perpendicular to air flow through and below the grill. Today was another 95 degree day, this fall heat wave is at least good to do my testing if nothing else. Drove exactly the same route that I did when testing the thermostat. Highest temp I saw was about 230-235 pulling a long hill. Difference this time was I did not turn the AC off at all. Last time I did turn it off because of the rate the temp was climbing near the top of the hill. Once I was past the hills, temperature went back down to 205-215 and held there. When I got into traffic in town, it stayed there as well.

So I am satisfied that I should be able to drive pretty much any where now and should be able to use my AC 90% of the time or more. Thanks for everyone's help. I hope my experience will benefit anyone else with cooling challenges.

Pat
Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a edlebrock high flow pump. It works great, I stay at 165ish in Texas 105 heat all day long. That's with a/c on going up and down hills. (This is in a 95' LT1).

Quick Reply: High Flow Water Pumps