Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 El Camino 6.0L build

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

The power steering seems to be working again, and I have been driving it further than ever before! The posi works, the tires like to spin and there are traction issues, I'll see if the linelock works soon.

Seriously though, its working really well, sounds amazing, drives ok, and all things considered its pretty darn great! Almost 8 years now since I pulled it into the garage and took it all apart its finally moving again
Jessica
The following users liked this post:
Project GatTagO (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

What did you end up doing for he power steering? Was it just bleeding problems?
Old 08-12-2022, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,071 Likes on 2,390 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshHefnerX
What did you end up doing for he power steering? Was it just bleeding problems?
I'm guessing that's what it was. Just a bunch of air pockets looking for a way out...
Old 08-12-2022, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Another forum I'm on mentioned leaving the engine off and moving the wheels themselves back and forth. And also on hydroboost to not hit the brakes at all during the bleed.
G Atsma (08-12-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

So as far as the power steering it was absolutely bizarre. I kind of glossed over it because it had to have been something weird. But I guess I'll explain what I found.

First off the bleeding was done with the car off turning the wheel with the car on jack stands. Then I turned the car on and did it some more with the wheels in the air. Once the resevoir level was stable I dropped the car down and turned the wheel on the ground to see if it worked. Then I checked the brakes. It was all pretty simple. The weird feeling in the steering wheel went away and I drove it.

When it broke the wheel wouldn't turn easily, and the pump started smoking. I thought it was a bad pump. The pump was making tons of noise and I didn't have power steering.

Fast forward I install a new pump do the bleeding and everything seems fine, but the steering is still heavy, then it just stops. The steering box actually locked up. It was brand new but its toast, it still kind of moves, but theres something seriously wrong in the gears inside. There was a lot of looping lines, taking the hydroboost out of the system as well as the steering box to verify everything. I checked for debris, and anything like that but found nothing. I learned on my Fiero to clean the AN lines after cutting and assembling them, after I clogged my injectors with debris. So I had cleaned them very well before I ever installed them.

So I attribute all the problems and stuff to a faulty steering box until something else happens.
Jessica
Old 08-22-2022, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Thanks for reporting back on that. Wonder if the first pump failure sent trash into everything.

Was your gear box original to your car or did you swap that at some point?
Old 08-22-2022, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JoshHefnerX
Thanks for reporting back on that. Wonder if the first pump failure sent trash into everything.

Was your gear box original to your car or did you swap that at some point?
The box and pump were both brand new. I'm thinking it could be debris as well. Now it has a new pump and box. Sometime in October I should have a brand new modified hydroboost for it as well. Depending how it works I may add a big cooler and filter if it beeds it.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Your really shouldn't need a filter or too big a cooler.
The only way crud gets into a system like this is if the components start out dirty, and/or putting dirty fluid in it.
And a small U-bend cooler will handle cooling needs.
78_elky (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

The bigger issue right now is cooling the engine. The fans came with the aluminum rad as a kit, I kind of had a feeling they would be cheap and crappy. Unfortunately they don't seem to move enough air, and just one running while the car is idling in the driveway will let it get too hot. I say one can't keep up because for some reason the second fan isn't engaging. I had it working when I first put the swap together and I was testing things before the car even started so I don't know what has changed. I can press fan 1 on in hptuners and it turns on, but pressing fan 2 does nothing, not even the relay clicks. They are wired the same so at least I know its not that (and I swapped the relays to verify they work). Its gotta be somewhere in the wiring, maybe a pin got loose in a plug or a wire chaffed; I'm really hoping its not in the pcm. I did order two new bigger fans to help move more air and hopefully that will help this all. I can also always install one fan to work with a thermal switch instead, but I'd rather figure this out. Other than these "small" issues things are going well with the project.

Jessica
Old 08-24-2022, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Find a set of fans for a Ford Coutour or Fusion. Twin fans that pull a LOT of air for their size. Also available new from Rock Auto at reasonable prices.
Old 08-26-2022, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Find a set of fans for a Ford Coutour or Fusion. Twin fans that pull a LOT of air for their size. Also available new from Rock Auto at reasonable prices.
Have you ever used a RockAuto new replacement fan? I've seen them and have been a little leary. I almost always use factory Ford fans, but wasn't sure the replacement sets would function as well.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rpturbo
Have you ever used a RockAuto new replacement fan? I've seen them and have been a little leary. I almost always use factory Ford fans, but wasn't sure the replacement sets would function as well.
Usually the Dorman brand seem pretty good, BUT I do agree the factory stuff, even preowned, does pretty well. After all, it likely isn't there because the fan crapped out....... besides which you can usually save a ton of money. Just hook them to a battery to test them while there if possible
Old 08-26-2022, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what its worth, I have built several G-body cars with big and small block Chevy engines, currently gathering parts for an LS swap in a Monte. That being said, I have had really good performance out of Dodge Intrepid cooling fans, they fit the stock V8 radiator core size like it was made for it. Pretty simple to make brackets to hang them. They are two fans that are dual speed. They probably draw more amps than an aftermarket, but, they are an open grille so air seems to flow over them well like over 35 MPH. I usually add a 3 core aluminum radiator CC162. It will keep up with a high compression big block in Oklahoma summer heat and humidity.

I used an OE Oldsmobile G-body upper radiator support plate.

Last edited by Bar50; 08-26-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Old 08-26-2022, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Old 08-26-2022, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Old 08-29-2022, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

I figured out the cooling fans, I ended up buying a couple spal 12" fans. They don't draw as much current as an OEM set and move almost 1700 cfm each.

I had a Taurus fan, an El Dorado fan, and an Intrepid fan setup on my last S10 and this El Camino. They all work really good, but do require a lot of amps at startup. I couldn't find any locally and didn't have time to go to the junkyard so I paid a little more for the Spal pair.

So that's good and I'm back on track to data logging and going for small rides.

Jessica
Old 08-30-2022, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

This is the setup I settled on:

I had to trim about a 1" larger opening in the shroud even though the old fans (in the background) and the new ones are both listed as 12" fans

They fit and there is still tons of room to get them in and out, but they move a ton more air.

I pulled all my wiring out to check it, and redid the crossover and steam pipes. I revamped the entire thing (except a cooler thermostat).

Jessica
Old 08-30-2022, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 903 Posts

Jessica,

Great progress. Those are some burly fans. I can't quite tell, but if there is a gap between the radiator and the core support on the sides, I would seal that up as best as you can.

Andrew
Old 08-30-2022, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts

I find the louvers in the aluminum shroud above the fan a little odd. There does not appear to be anything that would keep the fans from pulling air through the louver and not through the radiator. Normal highway vents in shrouds are flaps that can push out, but close when trying to suck air back through them (when the fans are running).
G Atsma (08-30-2022)

Quick Reply: 78 El Camino 6.0L build