Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget foxbody LS swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
I agree... the 8.8 will hold up to what most people can throw at it...
there are some better options if you really want to swap out the rear
I went with a 9" for strength, and for the reason that I was able to get adjustable UCA position, and adjustable LCA position...extremely important things... allows you to fix the problem with the stock locations...Instant Center sucks in stock locations
plus I did a 5 lug conversion at the same time as well as a swap to disc brakes(using a willwood drag brake kit)...

also, if you drag race... IRS is not the way to go....
Road racing.. IRS is something to consider...but most do not need it

its smarter to stick with the 8.8, and go to adjustable coil over's and add good suspension parts to the car...
The IRS is actually a feasable option "sometimes" They are not hard to install and offer a really decent ride and handling upgrade. There are tons of arguments either way on this but they are mostly opinions. They can handle straightline with the right parts...mainly all of the diff and cradle bushings. I'm looking to do the swap in the future just because I like a car that is a bit different.... of course it may be easier for me since I have a friend with a cobra who would trade me. Also I am well aware that a straight-axle can be modded to make a Mustang corner like mad!! I guess I'm rambling lol..i just like the IRS swap idea
Old 05-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Muscle
Why auto? Seems like a waste to go to all the effort of a swap and then put an automatic in it. Manual is better in almost every way as far as 4L60E vs T56 is concerned.
You don't have a clue! Those 5 speeds fall apart and if that were the case nobody with a big hp car would run a auto. Gonna need a lot of money set aside for clutches and synchros if you run a 5 speed. Unless your **** isn't about much
Old 05-02-2014, 11:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rmelton28
You don't have a clue! Those 5 speeds fall apart and if that were the case nobody with a big hp car would run a auto. Gonna need a lot of money set aside for clutches and synchros if you run a 5 speed. Unless your **** isn't about much
And you posted in a thread from 2012........
Not looking too bright yourself...

Quick Reply: Budget foxbody LS swap questions